2014 Bowl Line Up | The Boneyard

2014 Bowl Line Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
This just makes me wanna cry. Those bowls are horrific. What was once our lower teir bowl games are now our top two in the Compass and Beef bowl? Ugh!

On a side note, what are the chances Navy still joins in 2015? If they back out who do we nab to make it 12?

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
This just makes me wanna cry. Those bowls are horrific. What was once our lower teir bowl games are now our top two in the Compass and Beef bowl? Ugh!

On a side note, what are the chances Navy still joins in 2015? If they back out who do we nab to make it 12?

I was swayed with potential trips to the Bahamas in December... or Hawai'i as well!

Reaction Score

On second thought I understand your concern for the bowls, BBVA Compass and Beef O Brady's are nothing to write home
about but I aplaude Mike Aresco and team for creating the new bowls like the Miami Beach, Bahama and Boca Raton Bowls. If UCONN gets into any one of those in December, they should get a good number to travel. Great resort locations with low cost air and plenty of accommodations.

Don't worry about Navy...unless something drastically changes they are coming.

Some quotes from Navy's AD, Gladchuk, I 'd say that unless something has changed he is pretty positive:

There will be plenty of benefits to joining the AAC, not least increased revenue from television contracts. But being locked into a conference schedule for the first time will be a major change to Navy football's culture.

Indeed, Navy athletic director Chet Gladchuk said life in Annapolis already has changed in some ways.

"We've been gearing up for the American for two years now, [after] our original commitment to the Big East," he said. "In anticipation of joining a conference, we've been involved with a significant influx of new resources, staffing, facilities - the way we do our business, and making sure we're comparable in the way we do our business with the teams we'll be competing against on a regular basis."

And the Midshipmen will be able to maintain their signature rivalries against Army, Air Force and Notre Dame. The Army game will continue to be at the end of the regular season, on the second Saturday of December.

"The opportunities for an independent to schedule with as much flexibility as we have over the years is going away," he said, mainly because of the nature of conference realignment. One of the consequences of all those moves is that Navy's opponents won't have the space in October and November to play the Midshipmen anymore."

Gladchuk is convinced Navy can win in the AAC. Indeed, he said, the Midshipmen can "be a champion" in the league - and the fracturing of the old Big East is a major reason why.

"We're going to have our work cut out for us, no question, and there's no predictions on my end," Gladchuk said. "But it won't be quite as hard a landing, playing against teams we would have played as an independent, as it would have been had the Big East stayed intact."

Gladchuk was asked whether Navy can learn anything from Army's experience in Conference USA. He said the college sports landscape back then was "a different planet." He didn't mean it derisively, just as a statement of fact.

"They weren't even close to the configuration [of the AAC now] with regard to revenue distributions, scheduling requirements, bowl opportunities," Gladchuk said. "There's really no point of comparison in my mind at all."

Gladchuk has worked hard to get Navy into a financially healthy place as an independent. Now, he said, joining the AAC will serve as the icing on the cake. It's a different situation from schools who look to join a bigger conference as a way of building a foundation.

"We've put together a business model over the last 10 years that has gotten us very close to being a fiscally self-sustaining operation for 33 varsity sports," he said. "Ninety-four percent of our entire budget for the 33 varsity supports is generated externally. That extra six percent that represents some government support will be something we are looking to eliminate, and [joining] the conference should be able to do that."

In the end, Gladchuk said he has no doubt that Navy is making the right decision for its present and future.

"We've weighed the independence against the conference affiliation over the last couple of years, and there's just no question in our minds," he said. "Looking forward, either you're in or your out, and we'd prefer to be in with a group of schools that not only we can compete with, but we respect as well."

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports..._Athletic_Conference.html#SZO7E0HwmwZ0lTr8.99

Reaction Score
If the new playoff system were in play last year, UCF would have made it.
http://www.navysports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/120513aac.html
I'm sorry, in a 4 team playoff that is based on the end of regular and conference championship seasons, you believe UCF would have been 1 of the 4? What planet do you live on? Off the top of my head, other 1 loss teams that would have been ahead of UCF - Stamford, Alabama, Baylor, MI State, OSU, OK State. It is a 4 team playoff and it could include 2 teams from the same conference. Explain how you reached your conclusion.

Reaction Score
The only way for others (P5) to take notice and stop laughing at the AAC is for each of its (AAC)representatives beat, and beat convincingly, whoever represents the SEC, ACC, and Big 12........just like UCF did to Baylor, regardless of how much they(P5) cry "over looked" or "didn't take them seriously".

And simply crush the best of the rest that aren't ACC, SEC, or Big 12

If we (AAC) does neither, then maybe it does diserve to be laughed at.

As AAC fans.......we've got to move on and show we belong......and then let chips fall as they may.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I was swayed with potential trips to the Bahamas in December... or Hawai'i as well!
Travelling to Hawaii from CT is a nightmare scenario. I remember just trying to get tickets to the Fiesta Bowl and it was astronomical. I can't even imagine the cost in flying to Hawaii. The Bahamas, that's different. Still, it's not a bowl lineup to get excited about. However, it is what it is.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, in a 4 team playoff that is based on the end of regular and conference championship seasons, you believe UCF would have been 1 of the 4? What planet do you live on? Off the top of my head, other 1 loss teams that would have been ahead of UCF - Stamford, Alabama, Baylor, MI State, OSU, OK State. It is a 4 team playoff and it could include 2 teams from the same conference. Explain how you reached your conclusion.

I think he meant that UCF would have qualified for 1 of the other 3 bowls, Chick-Fil-A, Cotton or Fiesta

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The article, wrongly stated that ucf would've qualified for the playoffs, when they would've qualified for the access bowl.

The notion the AAC will ever garner any national respect is a total fallacy.

Let's see, win bowls, win BCS bowls, compete well in head to head OOC matchups?

Isn't that what the Big East did? With bigger name brands already in the fold?

The AAC needs to be good, needs to be compelling for the next round of contact negotiations - however if the Big East never got any national respect what makes you think the American would

Reaction Score

No, of course UCF would not have made a 4 team playoff. To clarify, I meant to say that they would have been chosen out of the best of the non P5 for one of the other 3 major bowls.
This new system is wrong anyway. An 8 team playoff at the very least should be instituted.
Here is a good article that highlights everything from a 4 to a 32 team playoff model's:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/12/9/5191512/college-football-playoff-bracket-2013

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, the new system is designed to avoid match ups like this year's AAC champion beating the Big 12 champion, or Boise over Oklahoma. The G5 champion is guaranteed a spot in an access bowl, but it's unlikely that will face a top P5 team. Consider that most conference champions will secure a spot in the playoffs and their 2nd ranked team will play in their primary bowl. The G5 representative will likely play the #2 ACC team or the #3 of another P5 conference (maybe even #4 at times). Of course winning still matters, but the P5 commissioners have worked hard to limit its value.

Reaction Score
The only way for others (P5) to take notice and stop laughing at the AAC is for each of its (AAC)representatives beat, and beat convincingly, whoever represents the SEC, ACC, and Big 12...just like UCF did to Baylor, regardless of how much they(P5) cry "over looked" or "didn't take them seriously".

And simply crush the best of the rest that aren't ACC, SEC, or Big 12

If we (AAC) does neither, then maybe it does diserve to be laughed at.

As AAC fans..we've got to move on and show we belong.and then let chips fall as they may.
you mean like the last two years, right?

Reaction Score
No, of course UCF would not have made a 4 team playoff. To clarify, I meant to say that they would have been chosen out of the best of the non P5 for one of the other 3 major bowls.
This new system is wrong anyway. An 8 team playoff at the very least should be instituted.
Here is a good article that highlights everything from a 4 to a 32 team playoff model's:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/12/9/5191512/college-football-playoff-bracket-2013
As I have read it and many other articles, if we are destined to stay in the AAC, it would bode well for us to have the 8 or 16 team model. Having a 4 team playoff is a start.
To go to an 8 team playoff, IMO: 1 of 2 events have to happen:
1) When a major player, like an Alabama/FSU from a P5 conference is left out as being the 5th or 6th team, revisions will occur, or
2) The college presidents WAKE the freak up as to the amount of $$$$ they are leaving on the table by not taking control of the playoff system as their athletic departments become more financially burdensome.
Notwithstanding, all the talk of bowls previously discussed becomes a moot exhibition and way for teams to enjoy a post season prolonging the ability to practice and develop players for the following season.
For now, I take it one day/ one week/one game at a time and am enjoying every moment of this renaissance of Husky football. 193 days to BYU!!!!!!!!!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Here's what's important for the AAC when it comes to bowl tie-ins:

1) Quality of the opponent
1a) the conference affiliation of the opponent (it just is)
2) the desirability of the bowl location as a tourist destination
2a) the travel accessibility of said locations via car/air travel
3) the ability to sell tickets and hotel rooms (see 2 and 2a)

That being the case, the AAC did OK with a real bad set of cards. The Birmingham as a potential #1 is based on the SEC opponent (want the best AAC team possible) and it's proximity to their fan bases (acknowledging the lack of strength in AAC travel). But, the pecking order isn't set in stone this go around. The conferences and bowl reps will select who goes where. If we should be so fortunate to make the new access bowl games, it's more likely Atlanta for us instead of Dallas or Glendale depending on who is hosting the Semi-finals.

Reaction Score
I'm still a little confused on our 2014 bowl affiliations for 2014-15. Conficting press on things like Bahamas Bowl. Just wondering if anyone has it straight with possible dates & locations.

Reaction Score
I'm still a little confused on our 2014 bowl affiliations for 2014-15. Conficting press on things like Bahamas Bowl. Just wondering if anyone has it straight with possible dates & locations.
I think you are right. This article is dated back to December and I think the deals have been finalized since then. Wikipedia has our conference in the bocca raton bowl only in 2015 while tied in for the Bahamas Bowl in 2014, 2016 & 2018.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Travelling to Hawaii from CT is a nightmare scenario. I remember just trying to get tickets to the Fiesta Bowl and it was astronomical. I can't even imagine the cost in flying to Hawaii. The Bahamas, that's different. Still, it's not a bowl lineup to get excited about. However, it is what it is.

No one travels to the Sheraton Hawaii bowl. The last time Nevada went the literally sold something like 40 tickets. Air fare and hotels are astronomically expensive over the holiday. They survive on local attendance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom