2013 Forward chooses Cal over Tennessee | The Boneyard

2013 Forward chooses Cal over Tennessee

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Berkeley, California over Knoxville, TN?

Kind of a no brainer, IMO, but then again I have been to Berkeley, which I love, but never to Knoxville. Plus Cal has far superior academics.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
The good thing about this is
1)She stays out west :)
2)I dont have to join some premium board to find it out.......and then listen to everyone B_tch and moan about losing another player.
The-Boneyard............you get a bang for your buck!!!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Berkeley, California over Knoxville, TN?

Kind of a no brainer, IMO, but then again I have been to Berkeley, which I love, but never to Knoxville. Plus Cal has far superior academics.

Other than playing in front of large crowds, and playing for a traditional winner...... cant think of much reason for a women's player to choose the Vols over Cal, Stanford, Duke, UNC, UVA, Vanderbilt, Ohio State, Michigan, Texas... .... and about 50 other Division I schools... I've been to Knoxville.... its a nice enough city.... and I guess if a kid enjoys being close to the Mountains and/or man-made lakes.... I could see the appeal.... but not for 4 years worth of college.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Other than playing in front of large crowds, and playing for a traditional winner...... cant think of much reason for a women's player to choose the Vols over Cal, Stanford, Duke, UNC, UVA, Vanderbilt, Ohio State, Michigan, Texas... .... and about 50 other Division I schools... I've been to Knoxville.... its a nice enough city.... and I guess if a kid enjoys being close to the Mountains and/or man-made lakes.... I could see the appeal.... but not for 4 years worth of college.
Can't count on "large crowds" and "traditional winner" for many more years, the way things are going in Knoxville.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well... to be fair, Tennessee has recruited very well. Heck, they have classes that most other teams would kill for.

from 2010, Simmons is probably a top 10 kid
2011 - Massengale and Burdick are top 10 kids
2012 - Graves is a top 10 kid and Tennessee fans will tell you Carter will be one as well as her torn ACL heals
2013 - Tucker is a top 10 kid.

The problem for Tennessee is that they aren't getting ANY of the recruits who are rated 98 or above per Hoopgurlz (for an easier understanding of the truly elite vs. just the elite players). And the other problem for them is that even when they had those uber elite kids (Stricklen and Johnson as seniors), they still weren't able to get out of the elite 8.

If they end up landing Russell, that would go a long way in putting them back in the discussion of teams landing the truly elite players (like Stanford with Ogwumike, ND with Diggins, Baylor with Simms and Griner, Duke with Gray, Williams, and Jones, aTm with Bone - altho the jury's still out on her, UNC with Deshields, whoever lands Davis, and UCONN with KML, Stewart and Jefferson).

Still, it makes me smile when i see kids choosing other schools over tennessee. they lost out on a couple JUCO's, and had a bunch of kids from 2013 either take them off their list as a finalist, or make the decision to choose another school.

JS

Reaction Score
..... cant think of much reason for a women's player to choose the Vols over Cal, Stanford, Duke, UNC, UVA, Vanderbilt, Ohio State, Michigan, Texas... ....
Well, Vanderbilt is actually in one of the 10 most depressing states.

But at least it's good academically.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Well, Vanderbilt is actually in one of the 10 most depressing states.

But at least it's good academically.

Yes... despite the fact that they offered me a full academic scholarship, they are considered a very good academic school. :rolleyes:

Its the only school I root for in the SEC... in any sport..... gosh I hate that conference so much.

JS

Reaction Score
.... gosh I hate that conference so much.
If you peruse the article I linked, you'll find no fewer than seven SEC schools located in the 10 most depressing states.

Depending on how you answer the chicken/egg question, certain of those schools are arguably enough to depress more than one state.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
2)I dont have to join some premium board to find it out.......and then listen to everyone B_tch and moan about losing another player.

Why would any sane person do that?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Why would any sane person do that?
Lenten penance.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
from 2010, Simmons is probably a top 10 kid

I believe she was 26th on Hoopgurlz. Not in the top 10 in ASGR. I don't know about Bluestar.

And after a pretty good freshman year, she certainly didn't play like a top 10 recruit last year.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Yes... despite the fact that they offered me a full academic scholarship, they are considered a very good academic school. :rolleyes:

Its the only school I root for in the SEC... in any sport..... gosh I hate that conference so much.

Congrats on the offer...I always thank that it isn’t bragging if you can do(did) it. Vanderbilt is a terrific academic institution.

JS

Reaction Score
Congrats on the offer...I always thank that it isn’t bragging if you can do(did) it. Vanderbilt is a terrific academic institution.
Now you've gone and shamed me, Ozzie.

Trouble with you, you're just too damned nice. Even Triad has his hates, you know. At least two we know of. But they're big -- a whole athletic conference and a whole state.

I don't know that you have any hates, Ozzie, which means there's something wrong with you.

Anyway, I was merely indulging my love of made-up words with "self-deprecaboast." Triad is a fine fellow. Good sense of humor, nice disposition, fine teeth.

Well, I don't really know about the teeth. But I didn't mean to hurt his feelings.

Now Alex, I can't vouch for him. He probably did mean to hurt Triad's feelings with "#humblebrag."

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I believe she was 26th on Hoopgurlz. Not in the top 10 in ASGR. I don't know about Bluestar.

And after a pretty good freshman year, she certainly didn't play like a top 10 recruit last year.

ASGR: #14
Blue Star: #11

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
ASGR: #14
Blue Star: #11
that was pretty much my recollection, but my point wasn't so much that she's an elite player (i don't think she is like Graves is, for example), my point was Tennessee, while having "down" years, is still recruiting better than 98% of the teams out there. they still routinely land recruiting classes that are in the top 5 or top 10.

I maintain, however, that until they land at least two 98+ rated players, they won't be challenging for a NC, but had they gotten Diamond and Mercedes from 2013, that would launch them back into the final 4 discussions... Until that happens, the elite 8 is the best they can hope for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom