20 years ago | The Boneyard

20 years ago

Reaction Score
UConn alumnus Mark Shenkman invested over 2 million dollars to help the UConn football team compete in the ever changing college football landscape.

With the exception of a few good seasons, there has been little return on his investment.

What was once a competitive advantage, is slowly diminishing as many programs are investing not alumni money, but big conference payouts and we can no longer show off the facilities as a unique feature.

Today's loss just reminded me of the sense of urgency the program needs to win games like today's game.

UConn was not only the home team, but was favored to win.

If we're going to attract talent, we need to prove that we can win important games and compete with the big conferences.

I'm not pointing fingers at the players or coaches as much as I'm hoping that we can finish the season not just as a six win bowl eligible team, but a team that can play with the intensity to close out games that should win and have a signature win as well. That would mean beating Syracuse, but Rice won't be an easy win.

Go UConn

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Anything less than a two score victory over Rice would be terrifying.

That being said this thing where we treat every game as a referendum on the program must stop.

I was disappointed yesterday but hardly discouraged.

We have improved and our standards and expectations have been raised as a result. We need more consistent play from the Offensive Line and the Quarterback. I think Sammis must have felt like a trauma surgeon yesterday. He kept losing olinemen, his Center was all over the place with the snaps.

We blocked a kick and held a gimmick offense that would have shredded us in seasons past to 23 points.

I don't think improvement moves in a straight line. 13 wins so far in three seasons. That's a different universe than what we were before. We're just a normal "bad" team now. Not a laughingstock.

If you chart the this season and the previous two you see a clear upward trend. So let's quit with treating every game as a do or die.

Reaction Score
Anything less than a two score victory over Rice would be terrifying.

That being said this thing where we treat every game as a referendum on the program must stop.

I was disappointed yesterday but hardly discouraged.

We have improved and our standards and expectations have been raised as a result. We need more consistent play from the Offensive Line and the Quarterback. I think Sammis must have felt like a trauma surgeon yesterday. He kept losing olinemen, his Center was all over the place with the snaps.

We blocked a kick and held a gimmick offense that would have shredded us in seasons past to 23 points.

I don't think improvement moves in a straight line. 13 wins so far in three seasons. That's a different universe than what we were before. We're just a normal "bad" team now. Not a laughingstock.

If you chart the this season and the previous two you see a clear upward trend. So let's quit with treating every game as a do or die.
As a fan I react to the schedule - one game at a time. So each step in that trend is a do or die! Your best football teams do the same... Your top top teams in your top conferences and their fans expect wins - when they don't get them look at AL. So why should we treat our teams goals differently??? We shouldn't - onto the next one sure! But the next one is just as do or die as this one was!

Reaction Score
As a fan I react to the schedule - one game at a time. So each step in that trend is a do or die! Your best football teams do the same... Your top top teams in your top conferences and their fans expect wins - when they don't get them look at AL. So why should we treat our teams goals differently??? We shouldn't - onto the next one sure! But the next one is just as do or die as this one was!

Of course. But that’s not what I said. You’re talking to some who would prefer we start a different QB because it gives us a better chance to win.

Not every game is a referendum. If we lose only one more game this season does that mean the program is dead?

There were literally people who said that if we didn’t get 35k tomorrow then we won’t get into a P4 conference.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Of course. But that’s not what I said. You’re talking to some who would prefer we start a different QB because it gives us a better chance to win.

Not every game is a referendum. If we lose only one more game this season does that mean the program is dead?

There were literally people who said that if we didn’t get 35k tomorrow then we won’t get into a P4 conference.
Well, at the risk of being stupid, we didn't get 35K people yesterday and we're not in a P4 today, so technically those people are right. ^_^ But I agree with what you're saying. I want a beat down of Rice and no more close games (unless we somehow beat the fruit in a close game).

Reaction Score
I guess, for me I am holding this team to the same bar as Coach Mora is holding it to! We need to win our games! We need to win each one the week we are playing. Losing one is unacceptable. Thinking its okay to lose this one or that one or look in hindsight and make excuses is horrible. Some excuses may even be justifiable but it doesn't make up for the W-L column. It simply reinforces a vulture of losing. So I want our fans our coaches and especially our players to NEVER accept a Loss. But int eh WF game it is really hard - because a lot of what I saw was not the players fault. And that is what makes this Loss so cancerous! "Winning isn't everything its the ONLY thing." - I didn't say -This quote was from Vince Lombardi.

So losing one more is one more that takes us further from our GOAL!

As to the rest of what you said, I simply trust Coach Mora to put in the personnel he needs feels offers us the best chances to win. If that means pulling me out of the crowd to sack a REF - well I trust him - LOL that was a joke! Just being clear so no one thinks I am being literal or threatening.

As to stand attendance - hey If I am the only who goes next week, I'll sit behind the team and shout as loud as I can! I control what I can control. I go to games, I yell, - I support, I boo, and I clap! I agree with my coach until my coach no longer delivers what he has claimed to be the goals of this team. I support his decisions! Right now he is making progress but he is NOT happy with the speed of this progress! Why not? Because he sees as too slow. He wants us to win these games that we should win and not accept losing - not now not ever! Even if he was not our coach he doesn't want to see this program accept losing. Therefore, I don't! I know you don't either - I get what you are trying to say but again... For me why talk about the season until it is done. Focus on the next game not say what we will accpet in the W/L at the end for the story while it is being written. - That is MY point! So know I wont accept thinking any loss is ok! I reserve the right at the end of the season to make my "just about worthless" opinion on whether or not we had a good season after it is over! If someone wants to throw their towel in - they want to judge this season as a failure - that is their right! If others want to claim victory even though there are more games to play - that is their right too. In both cases - they are premature! We don't know what we will find out about this team until we look at the collective work of their games! I hope for a few pleasent surprises where this team rises above the expecatations and plays their best game! I dont believe they have yet nor do i feel they have played their worst.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score

The quarterback who started yesterday should be the one who starts the rest of the year. He gives options that Fagnano doesn't.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore

Top Bottom