2 things about Geno I bet most of us didn't know | The Boneyard

2 things about Geno I bet most of us didn't know

Reaction Score
1. At one of his restaurants, he's named a dish after one of his former players.

2. Geno has coached another sport at UConn besides WCBB

hint: I discovered these while thinking about Tuesday night's game.

Reaction Score
I know there are at least 3 choices named after a former player at his place in Mohegan Sun!

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
1. At one of his restaurants, he's named a dish after one of his former players.

I'll bite- what other sport?

Reaction Score
I know there are at least 3 choices named after a former player at his place in Mohegan Sun!
then I sit corrected. I only saw one on the menu I was looking at.
Geno's Clam Shack

but there was also a recognized sport besides basketball that Geno coached when he first came to UConn.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
It's probably easier to name former players that aren't on the menu at Mohegan Sun. These players all have menu items named after them.
Pub
Montgomery
Wolters
Jones
Taurasi
Turner - chicken tortilla

Food Court
Rizotti
Lobo
Bascom
Battle
Swanier
Williams
Charles
Bird
Elliot
Ralph
Abrosimova

Reaction Score
It's probably easier to name former players that aren't on the menu at Mohegan Sun. These players all have menu items named after them.
Pub
Montgomery
Wolters
Jones
Taurasi

Food Court
Rizotti
Lobo
Bascom
Battle
Swanier
Williams
Charles
Bird
Elliot
Ralph
Abrosimova
Not even a "Dailey Special"? (groan!!)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I only found two current items on the menu at Geno’s Pub in the Mohegan Sun that fit the criteria: the Kara Wolters (flatbed pizza) and the Renee Montgomery (clam fry). As for the other sport Geno coached, I’m guessing it’s baseball or softball since I know he played a lot of baseball growing up. The only other possibility might be golf.

Reaction Score
Well, FWIW (meaning not sure I've found confirmation of this fact anywhere else), Geno actually coached tennis! (Reading this over now, perhaps I was a bit presumptuous: it says he taught (doesn't say coached) tennis.

Auriemma, who played tennis in college, was roped into the event after expressing an interest in attending the Friday night matches. He borrowed a racket from UConn director of tennis Glenn Marshall, who hit balls with him a few times this summer.

Of course, Auriemma left New Haven with one of McEnroe's rackets. When there was a delay to repair the net during his match with Courier on Stadium Court, McEnroe grabbed the microphone and auctioned off his racket. He wound up giving away two rackets for $3,500 each — one of the two bids came from Auriemma and his wife, Kathy — with proceeds going to the Smilow Cancer Hospital.

McEnroe joked that Auriemma needed the racket to improve his serve. Really, his serve wasn't bad for a guy who had not played competitive tennis in about 30 years. He taught tennis at UConn during his first four years at the school, but that was a lifetime ago.

Geno Takes On John McEnroe at CT Open

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

5 paninis named after former players at the Food Court at Mohegan Sun

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

McEnroe joked that Auriemma needed the racket to improve his serve. Really, his serve wasn't bad for a guy who had not played competitive tennis in about 30 years. He taught tennis at UConn during his first four years at the school, but that was a lifetime ago.

I don't think he "coached" it as in being UCONN Tennis Coach, but rather "taught" it like teaching a PE class. CD used to teach a PE class also.

Reaction Score
I don't think he "coached" it as in being UCONN Tennis Coach, but rather "taught" it like teaching a PE class. CD used to teach a PE class also.
No argument: But for a single class or 3 how do you define Teaching vs Coaching.
Either do both--don't they?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not even a "Dailey Special"? (groan!!)
giphy.gif

Reaction Score
Well coaching would be a coach (i.e. Varsity sport). Teaching would be a teacher (i.e PE class).
Interesting intellectual approach--I never though of teaching in terms of teaching --or coaching in terms of coaching--interesting concept. Is this an original or did you cheat and look this up on the internet???

Reaction Score
Pub
Montgomery
Wolters
Jones
Taurasi

Food Court
Rizotti
Lobo
Bascom
Battle
Swanier
Williams
Charles
Bird
Elliot
Ralph
Abrosimova

Food Court | Geno's Fast Break
I was hoping The Abrosimova would be a Rubin with Russian dressing...:D No big disappointment however as Ketia Swanier takes up that slot with a Rubin type panini with thousand island. Sevtlana covers the chicken wings with gorgonzola, another favorite.
Hard to believe in the not so distant past some of the names I rooted for and admire are now bad for my cholesterol ....;) :(

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Well, FWIW (meaning not sure I've found confirmation of this fact anywhere else), Geno actually coached tennis! (Reading this over now, perhaps I was a bit presumptuous: it says he taught (doesn't say coached) tennis.

Auriemma, who played tennis in college, was roped into the event after expressing an interest in attending the Friday night matches. He borrowed a racket from UConn director of tennis Glenn Marshall, who hit balls with him a few times this summer.

Of course, Auriemma left New Haven with one of McEnroe's rackets. When there was a delay to repair the net during his match with Courier on Stadium Court, McEnroe grabbed the microphone and auctioned off his racket. He wound up giving away two rackets for $3,500 each — one of the two bids came from Auriemma and his wife, Kathy — with proceeds going to the Smilow Cancer Hospital.

When Geno was hired at UCONN, it was still a requirement for the coaches to teach classes. Chris Dailey also taught some PE classes. When I attended UCONN I took a Tennis and Badminton PE class. We played badminton indoors during the bad weather portion of the spring semester and tennis outdoors during the good(?) weather portion. We sure got our money's worth for his $29k salary! ;)

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Interesting intellectual approach--I never though of teaching in terms of teaching --or coaching in terms of coaching--interesting concept. Is this an original or did you cheat and look this up on the internet???
Ehhh, common knowledge?

Reaction Score
Ehhh, common knowledge?
Can't be too common. As an instructor (teacher) at times I coached, Geno as a coach often teaches---a great deal of interchangeability between those professions. There is nothing I like to see of Geno than when he teaches Danger of Azura when they return to the bench. Geno in many publication has been accused of Teaching.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom