2 more all-time records for the Huskies | The Boneyard

2 more all-time records for the Huskies

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Lost somewhat in the Regional championship, the win streak and Geno breaking every coaching record in sight, UConn set 2 significant records in Monday night's victory over Oregon:
  1. With 21 assists yesterday, the 2016-17 Huskies set the NCAA single-season assist record with 852, breaking the record held by the 2013-14 Huskies who had 850. The 2013-14 team set their record in 40 games while it took this year's team only 36 games. From here on out, every assist that this team gets serves to set the bar higher for some future Husky team.
  2. Saniya Chong & Tierney Lawlor set the record for most wins in a career with 152 breaking the record set just last year by Stewie, Mo and Tuck who ended their college careers with 151. With Hopefully 2 more to come, Saniya & Tierney could end their careers at 154-1. For a number of reasons, 154 wins may never again be equaled. In the 2013-14 season, UConn played and won 40 games. Subsequently, UConn has been 38-1, 38-0 and if they bring home banner # 12 this year, they will be 38-0 again. If you only have the possibility of playing 38 games per season, even if you put together 4 straight undefeated seasons, you fall short of the new record.
UConn appears to be approaching the outer limits of the universe where there may no longer be any records to break. ;)

Reaction Score
Concerning the 154-1 Chong's record it could be broken because:
1) every 4 years the NCAA allow a team to play in a 3 day tourney where the 3 games count has 1 game against the schedule; thus the 40 games season
2) then the team could be undefeated for 4 years. Impossible? We are talking about Uconn!
3) a few weeks ago when this recordvwas first mentioned with Chong's name on the Uconn web site it didn't mention Lawlor. Maybe because she didn't qualify not having play enough games per some NCAA
Rule. I did asked that question on this board, but we didn't get an answer.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Concerning the 154-1 Chong's record it could be broken because:
1) every 4 years the NCAA allow a team to play in a 3 day tourney where the 3 games count has 1 game against the schedule; thus the 40 games season
2) then the team could be undefeated for 4 years. Impossible? We are talking about Uconn!
3) a few weeks ago when this recordvwas first mentioned with Chong's name on the Uconn web site it didn't mention Lawlor. Maybe because she didn't qualify not having play enough games per some NCAA
Rule. I did asked that question on this board, but we didn't get an answer.
Just a note - the three game tournaments can be played every year, but that only gets you to 39, there are a couple of tournaments that have the possibility of playing 4 games and that gets you to 40. The rule I believe is 29 regular season games or 27 plus an in season tournament that counts as only two games for scheduling regardless of how many you actually play. You could of course increase the games above 40 if you have to play the first round games in your conference tournament, but to be bad enough to have to play those games and good enough to get to the national championship game is not a likely scenario.

On Lawlor it was probably just an oversight because she was not a scholarship player with an LOI filed for her first two years - I do not believe there is any playing time or games played requirement - being on the roster is the only consideration.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
One more record - Chong and Lawlor will graduate with the highest winning percentage of any player in the history of WCBB. That is regardless of what happens at the FF, and has been true since the end of the regular season (breaking the Moore/Dixon class record.) The men's record is 100% set by the UCLA class of 1973 who were undefeated in their three years of varsity play (they played on a freshman team their first year by NCAA rule.)

Reaction Score
Actually, that UCLA class lost a game during their sophomore year (at Notre Dame on January 23, 1971).

... yep, it was the end of the Bruin's 88-game streak.
Bill Walton, Keith Wilkes, & Greg Lee were on the floor.

I think the date was more likely January 19, 1974.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The 852 assists and 152-1 record were noted, but there's no harm in repeating these amazing fears. I'm hoping for 900 assists. that would be a good sign.

Another record is 3-pointers per season by a player. Lou has 116 with up to 2 games. She needs 5 to tie Kaleena's UConn record and 13 to tie the NCAA record. She has only 6 in her past 4 games, after her 10-10 game. I'd love to see her get 5. I'd also like to see Kia shatter the NCAA tourney record for threes.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Chong wouldn't have the record if Tuck returned this season. Tuck would have a lot more than 154 wins by now.
If you take 152-1 (or 154-1) and add 35-4 to it, that's a really big number.

Reaction Score
... yep, it was the end of the Bruin's 88-game streak.
Bill Walton, Keith Wilkes, & Greg Lee were on the floor.

I think the date was more likely January 19, 1974.
The game I was referring to was the beginning of the 88-game win streak -- i.e., UCLA's last loss before that streak started -- which was in January of 1971, before Walton's college career began. (The 88-game streak was bookended on both sides by a loss to Notre Dame.) The loss in 1971 is the one that's relevant here because it was the only loss suffered by the UCLA class of 1973, which graduated before UCLA's streak-snapping loss in Walton's senior year of 1974.

Reaction Score
The game I was referring to was the beginning of the 88-game win streak -- i.e., UCLA's last loss before that streak started -- which was in January of 1971, before Walton's college career began. (The 88-game streak was bookended on both sides by a loss to Notre Dame.) The loss in 1971 is the one that's relevant here because it was the only loss suffered by the UCLA class of 1973, which graduated before UCLA's streak-snapping loss in Walton's senior year of 1974.

Sorry. I should have read your post more closely. I got the wrong loss. In 1974 I was in Portland, OR watching that game.
A sad & slightly painful day for those of us who had been following with pride UCLA's great teamwork & sustained excellence.

Of course, the pain was lightened after Bill Walton came to Portland, and three years later was part of the team
that beat the 76ers & Dr J to win the NBA championship.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
She has only 6 in her past 4 games, after her 10-10 game.

Which means she's due to shoot lights out the next 2 games! I'm confident she can pass KML and hopefully the NCAA record!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Which means she's due to shoot lights out the next 2 games! I'm confident she can pass KML and hopefully the NCAA record!
Lou is due. I don't expect 13, but I hope ....

I do expect Kia to get at least 5 if we play 2 games. She's En FUEGO!

fireshit.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom