• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
NCAA Tournament
Alamo Regional Final
San Antonio, TX - 9:00 PM ET
TV: ESPN (Ryan Ruocco, Rebecca Lobo)

Video stream:
#2 Louisville vs. #1 Stanford (Elite 8) (NCAA Women's Basketball Tournament) | Watch ESPN (tvpli)

Audio:

Live stats:

Reaction Score
Would love to see Louisville take down the “best” team in the tourney just like they did in 2013. It would be a great story, especially if Louisville and UConn ended up meeting again in the title game.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
This game is intriguing because Walz can come up with some junk defenses at times and he has size to match Stanford. Will be an interesting game.

Reaction Score
I cast a hopeful vote for my Louisville Cardinals but I think the 10.5 point spread is about right.

Louisville will need to play at its best and hope that Stanford is less than its best. Another game with 10+ threes by Stanford and it's game over.

Reaction Score
Given the way each team has been playing the last couple of weeks, I would say there's no way Louisville is beating Stanford. But then Texas beat MD.

And Louisville has previous tournament success as an underdog. 2009: upsetting Baylor, MD, and Oklahoma to get to the final. 2013: upsetting Purdue, Baylor, Tennessee, and California to get to the final.

Moral of the story: when Louisville plays above seed, UConn wins it all.

kroll show GIF

Still: I think Stanford avenges the 2018 Sweet 16 loss.

Reaction Score
my thoughts are Stanford has a deep bench so fouls might not matter as much. Does Louisville have that luxury.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
has size to match Stanford
They do? Dixon is listed at 6-5 on their website, but there is no way she's that tall. Cochran listed at 6-3, I doubt that. Parker is 6-4 but doesn't play. Against Oregon they were going w/ a 4 guard lineup mostly. Cochran was guarding Prince and one of the guards was stuck trying to deal w/ Sabally. Oregon was really exploiting that mismatch in Q3 til Sabally rolled her ankle and was done.

Reaction Score
It's tough to call this game without knowing how it is to be officiated.

If the game is called like that 2013 UL-BU game or last night's Baylor-UConn game Louisville has a shot.

If they call it like the 2014 UConn game at Maples they lose.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
They do? Dixon is listed at 6-5 on their website, but there is no way she's that tall. Cochran listed at 6-3, I doubt that. Parker is 6-4 but doesn't play. Against Oregon they were going w/ a 4 guard lineup mostly. Cochran was guarding Prince and one of the guards was stuck trying to deal w/ Sabally. Oregon was really exploiting that mismatch in Q3 til Sabally rolled her ankle and was done.
Wait, hold on, Sabally got hurt with 29 seconds left in the 3rd quarter, at that point Lou was ahead 41-33 (Sabally had just made 2 free throws). Since the 5:05 mark of the 3rd quarter, the game was essentially a 10 point game so don't act like losing Sabally was the reason and that Louisville was in trouble, they weren't. Louisville MORE than held their own against 6'7" Sedona and 6'3" Sabally (and yes, she's really only 6'3" look at this picture standing next to 6'2" Boley and 6'5.5 Giomi (2020-21 Women's Basketball Roster - University of Oregon Athletics (goducks.com)

We do know that Sedona is 6'7" and Louisville did a good job with her. Brink is 6'4" and is as good or better than Prince. Other than her though, Belibi has been losing minutes even to Prectal. For the most part Stanford is Williams, Lexie Hull, Jones, Brink, Wilson, Jump and Lacie Hull with Prectal and Belibi lesser minutes.

Guarding the perimeter against Williams and Wilson will be the key.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Wait, hold on, Sabally got hurt with 29 seconds left in the 3rd quarter, at that point Lou was ahead 41-33
They were down 18 at the 8:02 mark. Slicing 10 points off a deficit is notable. FTs? What about 6-8 FG, that seems more meaningful. Also looking at the play by play Sabally had scored 6 points in a bit over a minute before she went out. I would say that very clearly exemplifies "starting to exploit a mismatch."

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
They were down 18 at the 8:02 mark. Slicing 10 points off a deficit is notable. FTs? What about 6-8 FG, that seems more meaningful. Also looking at the play by play Sabally had scored 6 points in a bit over a minute before she went out. I would say that very clearly exemplifies "starting to exploit a mismatch."
And where was she for the first 25 minutes of the game? Impersonating Charlie Collier? Games are 40 minutes long for a reason, if she was so dominating against an ineffective and smaller team, then why was UO down by so much in the 1st half? Injuries happen, just ask Kim...:rolleyes:

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
Golly. Sabally did some good things in the third quarter, using her size and strength advantage, then got injured, and that hurt Oregon. Why quibble? Nobody is saying she dominated or that Oregon would for sure have come all the way back if she hadn't gotten hurt.

Reaction Score

I'd change this to started to exploit as they didn't the opportunity to in the first half with Prince having to manage foul trouble. But if I recall, it took a while in the 3rd for Oregon to get this going too.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I'd change this to started to exploit as they didn't the opportunity to in the first half with Prince having to manage foul trouble. But if I recall, it took a while in the 3rd for Oregon to get this going too.
That's fair. Thinking about it a little bit, I wonder how much of it was Oregon's guards' inability to handle pressure and make decent entry passes? They tried a few different options but got nothing even slightly resembling good PG play the entire game. Stanford might do a little better in that department.

Reaction Score
That's fair. Thinking about it a little bit, I wonder how much of it was Oregon's guards' inability to handle pressure and make decent entry passes? They tried a few different options but got nothing even slightly resembling good PG play the entire game. Stanford might do a little better in that department.

Oregon's guard play definitely had an effect. Without Paopao (hopefully I got this right), they were already down in that category. Their next option got injured during the game which hampered them even further.

Stanford is much different in comparison I agree. This will be a larger challenge for Louisville tonight.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Losing Te-Hina was brutal for Kelly but even his returning Junior Pt Guard Chavez was disappointing as was Mikesell who played that position at Maryland. Scherr needs to get reps next year as should Parrish as the #2 and kick Mikesell and Chavez to the curb.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Oregon's guard play definitely had an effect. Without Paopao (hopefully I got this right), they were already down in that category. Their next option got injured during the game which hampered them even further.

Stanford is much different in comparison I agree. This will be a larger challenge for Louisville tonight.

Losing Te-Hina was brutal for Kelly but even his returning Junior Pt Guard Chavez was disappointing as was Mikesell who played that position at Maryland. Scherr needs to get reps next year as should Parrish as the #2 and kick Mikesell and Chavez to the curb.
Agree, although I do have some hope that Chavez will return to the player she was last year.

According to her own comments, Mikesell wasn't all that happy having to play point at Maryland--and rightly so. Her passing, especially, leaves a lot to be desired, as does her ball handling and defense. I admire and respect Graves, but recruiting her was in my view a mistake--and not just because Mikesell never regained her shooting mojo from last year. The biggest cost was that it took court time away from Scherr and Parrish and so (imo) stunted their growth. It was only after Paopao' injury that Scherr eventually moved into the starting lineup, and losing her 10 minutes in made victory virtually impossible. Yes, she's a freshman who makes freshman mistakes and hasn't scored much, but her defense was one of the keys to Oregon's two earlier victories in the tournament, and she would certainly have made life a little more difficult for Louisville.

Reaction Score
Well...I kinda think this game will be underratingly(not a word) good. Because Texas and SC... Let's see if walz can slay the giants

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I hope this is an exciting contest at least.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Stanford defense keeps losing shooters early.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Stanford taking some dumb shots.

Brink is a monster so far. Swatting everything and grabbing O boards all over the place.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Brink has been great, rest of Stanford not playing well.

Good start for Louisville.

Reaction Score
Wilson hasn’t bothered Evans at all to this point. She hasn't been able to fight through Louisville screens and Evans has shot with no hands in her face.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Wilson hasn’t bothered Evans at all to this point. She hasn't been able to fight through Louisville screens and Evans has shot with no hands in her face.
She's gone under the screen a couple times, I have no idea what she's doing. Not the defender I've seen all year up to this point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom