"2 Fouls, You Sit" Mandate Gone Wrong | The Boneyard

"2 Fouls, You Sit" Mandate Gone Wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I though the team had already turned the tide on the game once they cleaned up their issues on the defensive boards, but Belien sitting Levert with 2 fouls in the 1st half made a big difference. The team pretty much built up their working margin for the rest of the game during the time that he sat, and he ended up finishing the game with only 2 fouls.

Reaction Score
I though the team had already turned the tide on the game once they cleaned up their issues on the defensive boards, but Belien sitting Levert with 2 fouls in the 1st half made a big difference. The team pretty much built up their working margin for the rest of the game during the time that he sat, and he ended up finishing the game with only 2 fouls.
It worked out beautifully for us in 2004 but that was a JC rule I wasn't a huge fan of along with never fouling when up 3 at the end of the game. It can be a guideline but once your team loses touch with the other team you should probably put your star back in.

Reaction Score
There is arguably a time and a place for the rule. But never when you have a 1 man team.
Yup, was just typing up that Michigan doesn't have the supporting cast to pull that off.

Reaction Score
John Beilein was the only man who could stop Caris LaVert tonight.

Just criminally bad coaching, especially once we stretched the lead to 6 or 8, he had to bring LaVert back in. FWIW, after all that concern about foul trouble, LaVert picked up zero fouls in the second half and finished with 2 for the game.

Benching a guy in foul trouble is intentionally imposing upon yourself the penalty (i.e. reduced minutes for that player) that you're hoping to avoid.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I believe Sean Miller did not bench Derrick Williams in the 2011 Elite Eight when he had two first half fouls. It made him play timid and we kind of rallied late in the first half.

All turned out well though! But it is a coach-to-coach strategy.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
He did the same thing with Trey Burke in the National Title game.

Reaction Score
I don't know, benching him with two fouls seemed to work out really well. I can't even imagine a perspective that would be unhappy with the results.

Reaction Score
I think if you told Beilen that they'd be down 14 at the half it he kept sitting him, he'd have pulled the trigger. But in real time you don't know - you hope to stem the tide at -6 or -8. This year with the hand checking and apparently illegal screen rules being heavily emphasized, I think coaches are going to be even more likely to sit players with 2.

And sometimes things defy logic. We sat Bazz with two fouls down 20-10 to Nova and I thought for sure that we'd have to put him back in before we fell behind by 20. Instead, TSam leads a 15-0 run.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Many coaches use that rule, Calhoun all the time. Roll the dice, and you'll never know how it would've played out otherwise. How do you risk your main stud getting a third foul relatively early? Liked that the 2 foul rule was used yesterday. That kid is a handful. Just makes you appreciate the quality depth on the Huskies. But, if Hamilton sits for a long stretch we are still very good team, but maybe not an outstanding team because he is such a different kind of player to adjust to. UM wasn't when wasn't a very good team with LaVert on the bench.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
It's a rule that can be tough to see enforced as a fan, but we can't really complain about the results. Caron vs Maryland in 2002 is one time it seemed to backfire, but who knows -- maybe he would have picked up a 3rd?

In 2004, we saw the best controlled test you could imagine: JC won and Coach K lost that experiment. I never complained about the strategy again (although I don't mind KO's more flexible approach either).

Reaction Score
In 2004, we saw the best controlled test you could imagine: JC won and Coach K lost that experiment. I never complained about the strategy again (although I don't mind KO's more flexible approach either).

In 2004 it worked because that game was being called incredibly tight. JC's dogma happened to work out that day.

Reaction Score
Really didn't matter. In a 7 game series UConn wins it in 5 games. They are simply better than Michigan and their P5 Conference "aura". Must have pissed off Connecticut-based, ESPN who would have undoubtedly preferred the Cuse playing the hardwood Bo Schemblechlers from the, OMG, Big 10.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I don't think it had much effect. UConn easing up on D in general had more to do with Michigan coming back a bit in the second half than Levert did.. don't get me wrong I though Levert was an absolute beast and is an incredibly fun player to watch.. They just literally had nothing else going on.

Reaction Score
I don't think it had much effect. UConn easing up on D in general had more to do with Michigan coming back a bit in the second half than Levert did.. don't get me wrong I though Levert was an absolute beast and is an incredibly fun player to watch.. They just literally had nothing else going on.

They do. They are in a P5 Conference. They need to be beaten at every opportunity. The P5's look at the AAC like UConn fans look at Sacred Heart or Iona or New Hampshire. Only remedy, beat them again and again til they invite you to join them.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
They do. They are in a P5 Conference. They need to be beaten at every opportunity. The P5's look at the AAC like UConn fans look at Sacred Heart or Iona or New Hampshire. Only remedy, beat them again and again til they invite you to join them.

It's so, so much more than on-court performance. Do some reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom