2 criticisms | The Boneyard

2 criticisms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
1. I know Dolson is in much better shape this year, but what is Geno doing? Is he playing her 40 minutes so it pays dividends later in the year, regardless of the cost in this game? There were plenty of plays where Dolson was the last one up the court, defensive rebounds Dolson couldn't get to that turned into offensive rebounds for Baylor, and clearly Dolson's defense wasn't the same in the second half. I don't blame Dolson, she's playing hard. I just don't get why Geno doesn't give Stokes 8 minutes and play Dolson 32 instead of 40. Same thing with KML, to a lesser extent. KML lost her legs a little bit late in the game. Why not 35 minutes instead of 38?

2. Hartley is not a good player this for UConn this year. Sure, she would be the best player on plenty of teams, but when UConn is playing the NDs, the Stanfords, the Baylors, she's not one of the good players. I understand she's been hobbled by injuries, but her shot doesn't look like she put in the work this offseason. It's particularly stark compared to the improvement Dolson, KML, and Farris have shown. She's got a ton of talent, and I have high expectations for her next year.

With that said, they're still a very good team and have a great shot at the final 4. However I don't see them being likely to beat Baylor the way Hartley is currently playing.

Reaction Score
2 positives

KML has continued to step her game up. She's a special shooter, and should be an all time UConn great.

Tuck is flashing a little bit of her potential. She looked good tonight. It's obvious Stewart has a ton of talent (though she occasionally disappears) and we've been seeing more of Jefferson lately; but tonight it was great to see Tuck's potential - a player with a nice inside/outside. That can be a lethal combination.

Reaction Score
1. I know Dolson is in much better shape this year, but what is Geno doing? Is he playing her 40 minutes so it pays dividends later in the year, regardless of the cost in this game? There were plenty of plays where Dolson was the last one up the court, defensive rebounds Dolson couldn't get to that turned into offensive rebounds for Baylor, and clearly Dolson's defense wasn't the same in the second half. I don't blame Dolson, she's playing hard. I just don't get why Geno doesn't give Stokes 8 minutes and play Dolson 32 instead of 40. Same thing with KML, to a lesser extent. KML lost her legs a little bit late in the game. Why not 35 minutes instead of 38?

2. Hartley is not a good player this for UConn this year. Sure, she would be the best player on plenty of teams, but when UConn is playing the NDs, the Stanfords, the Baylors, she's not one of the good players. I understand she's been hobbled by injuries, but her shot doesn't look like she put in the work this offseason. It's particularly stark compared to the improvement Dolson, KML, and Farris have shown. She's got a ton of talent, and I have high expectations for her next year.

With that said, they're still a very good team and have a great shot at the final 4. However I don't see them being likely to beat Baylor the way Hartley is currently playing.

Agreed. UConn was killing Baylor on the glass for most of the game. The last 10 minutes, it was the other way around. But even with the poor time management, the game was lost with the TO's.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Hartley hasn't played well this season but lack of off-season work is not the reason. She worked on her game all summer and from all reports was looking terrific. She played for the USA 3x3 team in Greece where she tore an ankle ligament and missed 3 weeks of preseason and has not been the same player. Don't be critical of a player's off-season work ethic when you know nothing about it.

Reaction Score
Hartley hasn't played well this season but lack of off-season work is not the reason. She worked on her game all summer and from all reports was looking terrific. She played for the USA 3x3 team in Greece where she tore an ankle ligament and missed 3 weeks of preseason and has not been the same player. Don't be critical of a player's off-season work ethic when you know nothing about it.
I think the major thrust of the statement is that whether it was her work ethic (which apparently it isn't) or an injury setting her back badly, Hartley is not playing well at all (with a couple of exceptions). There are too many times her offense just isn't there and it's unfortunate because she's someone who was expected to be a key contributor. I'm please that the freshmen are starting to get more playing time (though Stewart hasn't been playing as well lately) but the other two seem to be coming on strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom