2.2-million square miles with no 5-star recruits (SBN) | The Boneyard

2.2-million square miles with no 5-star recruits (SBN)

Reaction Score
This is the point: THE 5 star ... 4 star ... ratings industry is f-cked. It is not an efficient market. It does not track the hometowns of NFL players - which is the true meritocracy. WHERE do guy that get paid extra normal market rates grow up. A great Rivals guy in NJ can totally skew a region for a decade.

POINT 2 - should be map based on "per capita" not miles/geography. AS we all know, America is absolutely moved into urban centers all over the nation; some have grown markedly since 1990.

Reaction Score
Some tweets today by SportSourceAnalytic (give me a few to get them all up)

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Do wide swaths of the country lack talent, or is it just harder to find?

Reaction Score
Do wide swaths of the country lack talent, or is it just harder to find?

I think it's a variety of factors. Two of them being the population, or lack there of, and then the lack of those that develop talent.

Reaction Score
Take a close look at the map.
Find it hard to believe that there are no 5 star players in states of Wisconsin, Michigan, most of Texas, most of California, Nebraska, Oklahoma.
Am I reading this map correctly ? or does it prove a point on the faulting star system?
It's a idiotic, a totally failed rating system.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Contrast it to baseball and hockey where all the high end prospects are already identified and in the case of hockey drafted by professionals long before some BS "scout" from a website gets a hold of them. Imagine some knucklehead with a website, who maybe played some college club hockey, ranking Tage Thompson a two star recruit because he came from a second tier junior hockey league when he was 16. It's absurd on the face of it given what came next... but it's exactly what happens in NCAA football.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
To me it is a couple of things. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. That is why 2* recruits become pro bowlers. Recruiting services don't have former coaches all over the place looking at a kid and tape isn't enough. I'll never forget the 2* recruit we had who decommitted, went to Ohio State and became a 4* overnight. When a Mike Farrell evaluates kids, or a website has more paid members that influence the stars, the system isn't even a system.

How many stars did Jordan Todman have? 2? Randy V1.0 thought he was one of the 5 top backs in the east. Guess what, he was!! I have never paid attention to stars, who has how many, etc. I get sucked into the 3 stars a bit, and then have to take a deep breathe and re- calibrate. I also don't pay much attention to who has offered. It's all an exercise in futility for the fan to get a read on.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
We're getting dangerously close to bringing in all the sheep who are going to tell me that recruiting rankings are infallible and Notre Dame and Alabama always win because they always have the "top rated" class. Which of course, is putting the cart before the horse... or the chicken, or the egg... or which ever home spun colloquialism plays these days.

A rating system that does a real good job at identifying the top 50 kids every year does no go to UConn. We need someone who can tell us if the kid in upstate New York playing football in front of 25 members of his family on a 3-10 team is going to turn in to a NFL/high college level player. Randy has done that repeatedly in the past. ESPN.com? Not so much.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score

so these aren't accurate lol
how about Tarik Black?
again just goes to show how bad these companies are that do this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom