1st Team vs 2nd Team | The Boneyard

1st Team vs 2nd Team

Reaction Score
I would love to see scrimmages of our First team against our Second team: First team: Hassan, Aidan, Liam, AK and Samson vs. Second team: Nowell, Solo, Stewart, Abraham and Reed. You wanna tell me the first team is better? I can't say that you are wrong. But I can make a strong case that this second team is holding their own, if not winning outright. Who do you have?

I think that Stewart would make Liam earn everything he gets. And Abraham was guarding all the 5 start PF studs coming to college. The more video I watch of Nowell and Abraham, the more I am convinced their current skills will translate into modest to major minutes in this year's team. Nowell is a better version of Hassan, and I am talking about right now. Hassan will start, and rightfully so. But by January, I expect Nowell will be the starting PG for this team. Is he a dog like Hassan? I believe that he is. Abraham will have a tougher time getting minutes, with AK and Stewart ahead of him. But this kid looks like a player. He is strong, and agile for a big. He has a 3 point touch and he plays strong D. And if you look at prior posts of mine, you would know I am the president of the Solo Ball fan club. I think this kid is a stud in the making. My point is that the national media does not know what we know: we have 2 teams on this roster that can make the NCAA tourney, and go far in it. And that's without counting two players that should continue to develop nicely, particularly Ross.

If the coaching staff can unite this team as they did the last two years...well hell I am going to be happy in 2025 because I live in San Antonio!!!

Reaction Score
It's never about first or second team, it's about minutes played. Hurley rotates his guys and if a guy plays well, they get minutes.

I remember seeing Samson on the floor cause he was so effective and had the match up advantage. Hurley had no problems letting DC get rest.

Reaction Score
You wanna tell me the first team is better?
i would say the starters are better because they are the ones that are starting, but that's not to say the bench couldnt beat the starters in a scrimmage. i think the starters would win a 7 game series in 6 games. FWIW i think the starters will be diarra / mahaney / mcneeley / karaban / reed and the bench will be nowell / ball / ross / stewart / johnson.

Reaction Score
Karaban and Mahaney feel like locks, only question is if Mahaney is starting at the 1 or the 2. Otherwise you could tell me any of Diarra/Ball, Stewart/McNeeley, Reed/Johnson are starting and I wouldn't be shocked

Reaction Score
Samson is 100% starting at Center.
He may very well start, but to pencil him in at this point is premature. His position is completely up for grabs. Reed was a starter on a Big 10 team. A bad Michigan team, but still a starter on a high-major. He was brought in to compete for the starting role.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I think Samson starts day 1 as a procedural thank you for sticking it out and not bolting to the portal. I remember Hurley making a comment about Clingan starting early in the season even though he wasn't in game shape yet, and saying it means something to start even if he won't get 25 minutes yet.

My money says Reed gets more or similar minutes (even if we assume Samson stays out of foul trouble).

Reaction Score
Given the complexity of our system, with the players have so many options, I think the Hurley will use his veterans to start the early season games as the new guys work in.

So, Samson, AK, Stewart, Diarra and Mahaney is my guess for the early game starters.

The first TO brings in McNeely and Ball for Steward and Diarra.

Reed, Ross and Nowell are the next three. And there will opportunities for Abraham and Singare to move into top ten.

Reaction Score
You as sure about that as you were about the Mavericks winning the NBA Finals? :)
1718923682022.gif

Reaction Score
He may very well start, but to pencil him in at this point is premature. His position is completely up for grabs. Reed was a starter on a Big 10 team. A bad Michigan team, but still a starter on a high-major. He was brought in to compete for the starting role.

Michigan was 8-23 (3-17 in conference). That’s DePaul level bad. I think people need to chill on the Reed starting talk. He was the 5th scoring option on Michigan. Even if he has all the tools / raw talent it’s going to take time to eliminate the bad habits. Meanwhile Samson has been in Hurleys system for 3 seasons, has 2 rings, won the starting job over Karaban in 2022 and was one of the best back up bigs in the country last year. Knows all the plays and is ready to start.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom