1st and 2nd team Non Wallers | The Boneyard

1st and 2nd team Non Wallers

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Here's an exercise for you for this off season. Make a 1st string and 2nd string out of UCONN players (graduated) who are NOT on the Wall of Honor.

Some ideas: Rita Williams, Kennitra Johnson, Maria Conlon, Ashley Battle, Mel Thomas, Ketia Swanier, Tiffany Hayes, Caroline Doty, Kelly Faris, Brianna Banks
Jamelle Elliott, Carla Barube, Stacey Hansmeyer, Tamika Williams, Ashja Jones, Ann Strother, Barb Turner, Charde Houston, Kalana Greene, Brittany Hunter
Paige Sauer, Kelly Schumaker, Jessica Moore, Kiah Stokes
or anyone else you can think of.

As a reminder, those not available (Bascom, Lobo, Rizzotti, Wolters, Sales, Abrosimova, Ralph, Bird, Cash, Taurasi, Montgomery, Charles, Moore, Hartley, Dolson, KML, Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck)

It's not real easy. Good luck.

I went with (at least 1st cut)

Rita Williams
Tiffany Hayes
Jamell Elliott
Ashja Jones
Kiah Stokes

Then
Kennitra Johnson
Kelly Faris
Ann Strother
Tamika Williams
Kelly Schumaker

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Is Kennitra a valid choice? She didn't graduate from Uconn, and not sure where she did graduate. Just asking.
Pretty good team you assembled!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Is Kennitra a valid choice? She didn't graduate from UConn, and not sure where she did graduate. Just asking.
Pretty good team you assembled!
Good point. But I like her, sooo..I'll keep her. I was more going for not graduated as being on the team now. I should have written that better.

Reaction Score
My first five would be Ashja, Tamika, Tiffany, Ann, and Jamelle. My second five would be Barb, Jessica, Kalana, Kelly Schumacher, and Charde.

Reaction Score
Easy peasy:

1st:
Maria Conlon, Kelly Faris, Jamelle Elliot, Tamika Williams, Ashja Jones

2nd:
Tiff Hayes, Ann Strother, Barb Turner, Carla Berube, JMo

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Boy some great lists and some great players who never made the wall of honor. Just goes to show how hard it is to get up there...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Ist team:

G Maria Conlon
G Kelly Faris
F Ann Strother
F Tamika Williams
C Kiah Stokes

C Kelly Schumaker
F Barb Turner
F Ashja Jones
G Tiffany Hayes
G Caroline Doty

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ist team:

G Maria Conlon
G Kelly Faris
F Ann Strother
F Tamika Williams
C Kiah Stokes

C Kelly Schumaker
F Barb Turner
F Ashja Jones
G Tiffany Hayes
G Caroline Doty
Wow, no Jamelle anywhere?

Reaction Score
SANIYA for God's sake---how soon we forget.

Clearly, by limiting those onet the wall to All-Americans makes the job easier, and avoids hurt feelings. But, the above list obviously leaves out players who were important to the success of the team.

Perhaps there should be a place on the wall for non-AA; but were first string or sixth-man players.

How can it be that there is no place on the wall for Kelly....and Saniya, and Kiah, to name the most recent.

Any ideas on how this could be done? An All-UConn Wall of Honor determined by Husky fans?

Reaction Score
SANIYA for God's sake---how soon we forget.

Clearly, by limiting those onet the wall to All-Americans makes the job easier, and avoids hurt feelings. But, the above list obviously leaves out players who were important to the success of the team.

Perhaps there should be a place on the wall for non-AA; but were first string or sixth-man players.

How can it be that there is no place on the wall for Kelly....and Saniya, and Kiah, to name the most recent.

Any ideas on how this could be done? An All-UConn Wall of Honor determined by Husky fans?
Then what participation trophies!

Reaction Score
Laura Lishness, Aisha Jones, Tamika Williams, Jamelle Elliot and Ann Strother. 2nd team Rita Williams, Kelly Schumaker Carla Berube Tiffany Hayes and Kalana Greene. If it werent for injuries Kierstan Walters for Hayes. She was that good.

Reaction Score
Great idea. Like your teams but how could Tamika Williams not be on your 1st team? Hasn't she been one of our top percentage shooters of all time?

QUOTE="meyers7, post: 2186463, member: 343"]Here's an exercise for you for this off season. Make a 1st string and 2nd string out of UConn players (graduated) who are NOT on the Wall of Honor.

Some ideas: Rita Williams, Kennitra Johnson, Maria Conlon, Ashley Battle, Mel Thomas, Ketia Swanier, Tiffany Hayes, Caroline Doty, Kelly Faris, Brianna Banks
Jamelle Elliott, Carla Barube, Stacey Hansmeyer, Tamika Williams, Ashja Jones, Ann Strother, Barb Turner, Charde Houston, Kalana Greene, Brittany Hunter
Paige Sauer, Kelly Schumaker, Jessica Moore, Kiah Stokes
or anyone else you can think of.

As a reminder, those not available (Bascom, Lobo, Rizzotti, Wolters, Sales, Abrosimova, Ralph, Bird, Cash, Taurasi, Montgomery, Charles, Moore, Hartley, Dolson, KML, Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck)

It's not real easy. Good luck.

I went with (at least 1st cut)

Rita Williams
Tiffany Hayes
Jamell Elliott
Ashja Jones
Kiah Stokes

Then
Kennitra Johnson
Kelly Faris
Ann Strother
Tamika Williams
Kelly Schumaker[/QUOTE]

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Thinking prospectively, a 1st team Non-Waller in all likelihood will be Kia Nurse, who will potentially play with up to 10+ players whose names will end up on the wall: Stewie, Mo, Tuck, KML, Lou, Pheesa, Gabby, Z, Danger, MW, Coombs.....

Those 10+ players will have their names on the wall, in no small part, because they were fortunate enough to have played along side Kia, the ultimate team player & leader.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thinking prospectively, a 1st team Non-Waller in all likelihood will be Kia Nurse, who will potentially play with up to 10+ players whose names will end up on the wall: Stewie, Mo, Tuck, KML, Lou, Pheesa, Gabby, Z, Danger, MW, Coombs.....

Those 10+ players will have their names on the wall, in no small part, because they were fortunate enough to have played along side Kia, the ultimate team player & leader.
Kia has already played alongside SEVEN 1st Team All-Americans. Is that a record?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Perhaps this should be the subject of another thread.

UCONN player not to be AA but played with the most AA teammates:

9 Caroline Doty (Montgomery, Charles, Moore, Hartley, Dolson, KML, Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck)
9 Saniya Chong (Hartley, Dolson, KML, Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck,Williams, KLS, Collier)
8 Kelly Faris (Charles, Moore, Hartley, Dolson, KML, Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck)
7 Kia Nurse (Stewie, Jefferson, Tuck, KML, KLS, Collier, Gabby........)
6 Gabby (Stewie, Jefferson, Tuck, KML, KLS, Collier)

Who else?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Tough choices on choosing the best players not on the wall.

One of my first picks would be Asjha Jones. Her resume includes being part of arguably the best college team ever, Olympic Gold Medalist, and (multiple time, I believe) WNBA All-Star. Who else was even an Olympian?

Jamelle was a great rebounder and total badass. She's high on my list.

Barb Turner was a very tough and skilled power forward at about 5'10". She finished high on the career scoring list and also was a Notre Dame killer!

Ann was a bigtime scorer who really contributed to the 2003 and 2004 championships. I think she finished in the top 8-10 in career scoring list when she left.

I think Tiffany Hayes may have been our most talented player not in the Wall. There were games when she shone brighter than the great Tina and Maya. She still owns the UConn record for most points in a half. She was an integral part of the best defensive unit ever. Tiff tended to get over-amped in big games, which cost her AA selection, but she's really, really good.

After watching the recently posted videos, I'm including Kalana Greene. Despite her injury, she was the ultimate slasher and defender. She also became a solid shooter ("pure shooter" in her words). I recall watching games and seeing someone grab a rebound at the rim level, then pivot and start the break. Several times, I mistook it for Tina, but it was Kalana skying with the giants and corralling the ball. She also was arguably the best defender on the best defensive team ever. If your team put up 50 points in 40 minutes when the opposition included Kalana Greene, you were doing very well. As with Gabby, I enjoyed watching Kalana simply run the floor.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

UConn player not to be AA but played with the most AA teammates:

9 Caroline Doty (Montgomery, Charles, Moore, Hartley, Dolson, KML, Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck)
9 Saniya Chong (Hartley, Dolson, KML, Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck,Williams, KLS, Collier)
7 Kia Nurse (Stewie, Jefferson, Tuck, KML, KLS, Collier, Gabby...)

Who else?
Here's a twist. Limit it to teammates who were AA in seasons when they played together. I think that would eliminate Stewie, Mo, and Tuck from the Caroline list. It leaves all 9 on Saniya's list, I believe. It removes Mo and Tuck from Kelly's list. Kia player with 7 AAs in 3 seasons and 6 in the past 2 seasons.

Gabby was an AA this year, so I'd exclude her.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

UConn player not to be AA but played with the most AA teammates:

7 Kia Nurse (Stewie, Jefferson, Tuck, KML, KLS, Collier, Gabby...)

Who else?
Kiah Stokes played with several AAs, including at least Bria, Stef, Kaleena, Stewie, Moriah, and Tuck.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Thanks, Myers.
I was planning on a nice, relaxing evening, but now this will tug at my mind all night. Head bang

Seriously, it's a great exercise.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

Dang, oldude, I was thinking of starting a thread on this very topic. Why don't you go ahead--you were there first. I was thinking she would end up playing with nine, the seven already plus Z and Megan. Hadn't considered Coombs. The jury is still out (in my mind) regarding Crystal.

Reaction Score
My Non Wall player choices:

1st team
G Tiffany Hayes - who's head sometimes ran faster than her legs
G Kelly Faris - the consummate teammate
F Jamelle Elliott - huge heart in a 5'11"/6' body
F Ashja Jones - knew her strengths and played to them as well as anyone
C Tamika Williams - also knew her strengths and played to them as well as anyone

2nd team
G Rita Williams - great athlete on not as talented teams
G Kalana Greene - lost so much through the knee injury
F Barbara Turner - a Jamelle clone, huge heart in a 5'11"/6' body
F Jessica Moore - not a great athlete but knew what the team needed from her game in and game out
C Kiah Stokes - makes this list on her defensive dominance alone

Ann Strother always struck me as a great player as a 2nd or third option but not as good when she had to be the top scorer

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Dang, oldude, I was thinking of starting a thread on this very topic. Why don't you go ahead--you were there first. I was thinking she would end up playing with nine, the seven already plus Z and Megan. Hadn't considered Coombs. The jury is still out (in my mind) regarding Crystal.
When we have 6 All-Americans in consecutive seasons with NO overlap, they add up fast!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Given Geno's track record, there's a good chance that there will be at least 2 AA's from next year's freshmen class. While Walker & Coombs appear to be the most likely candidates, I wouldn't rule out AEH & Gordon down the road.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom