1999-2000 Huskies vs 2011-2012 Huskies | The Boneyard

1999-2000 Huskies vs 2011-2012 Huskies

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno recently said the 2000 championship squad was a better pressing team than this year's. I don't know. I'm watching the 2000 Final Four game vs a good Penn State team (Helen Darling, Maren Walseth, Lisa Sheppard et al). That UConn team was certainly bigger with 5-11 Shea, 6-1 Svet, and the 6-2 trio of Swin, Tamika and Asjha, but they relied more on trapping than the actual press. Darn effective, though. But this year's version is much more aggressive and even more athletic, which is something because the 2000 team had tremendous atleticism.

This is a fun game to watch, here are a few thoughts:

- Some accounts give me the impression Morgan Tuck could be similar to Asjha Jones. If so, I would be a very happy Husky fan.
- There have been many wonderful shooters that have played for the Huskies but Sue Bird had the prettiest, smoothest shot of all. And she was money.
-This year's team has much better perimeter defense. Of course, much of the 2000 UConn team was comprised of forwards, young ones at that, but still, even the guards got out on the perimeter player too late.
- This game pretty much encapsulated Svet's career - A spectacular pass would be followed by a goofy turnover, a tremendous rebound followed by a bad foul. But her offensive game, oh my, what a talent.
- Jay Bilas should do more women's games; he's one of the best out there. And I had forgotten how much I miss Robin Roberts at the analyst's desk.
- Although the looks of Geno's offenses and defenses may change from year to year, some things never change. The intensity, the passing, the commitment to defense and to stopping the opponent's best player, the unselfishness of the teams are UConn staples.

One edit: LOL, forgot about all the Monistat commercials.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Jay Bilas was wonderful doing the women's game. Love him or hate him he is a true pro.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
After splitting the regular season meeting, with Tennessee, UConn absolutely ambushed them in the finals. Really a changing of the guard moment in WCBB. UConn had already established itself as an elite program, obviously, but that game was a next step, IMO.

I think Svet's senior season, if she could have stayed healthy, would have been when all the good of her game shone its brightest and few of the weakenesses, if any, remained.

That starting five of Sue, Shea, Swin, Svet, and Kelli was nasty, especially with Asjha and Tamkia coming off the bench.

This year's bunch would play intense, competitive basketball against the 2000 team but would ultimately get overwhelmed. As would Baylor and Notre Dame, BTW.

I'd give anything for this year's team to have a Shea Ralph on it (you know, in uniform and on the floor, as lovely as she looks in dress attire). The Jen Rizzottis, Sheas, Swins, DTs, Tinas, who just play with that fire that bubbles constantly at the surface. You don't need such a personality to win, and you can't fake it if it's not in you, but it can be invaluable for a team to have. It's one of the biggest things A&M lost this year when Colson moved on.

Morgan reminds me a lot of Asjha too, but with the versatility in her game that Asjha has now more than she did at UConn. Which is scary if she can keep developing.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
That starting five of Sue, Shea, Swin, Svet, and Kelli was nasty, especially with Asjha and Tamkia coming off the bench. This year's bunch would play intense, competitive basketball against the 2000 team but would ultimately get overwhelmed. As would Baylor and Notre Dame, BTW.

I'd give anything for this year's team to have a Shea Ralph on it (you know, in uniform and on the floor, as lovely as she looks in dress attire). The Jen Rizzottis, Sheas, Swins, DTs, Tinas, who just play with that fire that bubbles constantly at the surface. You don't need such a personality to win, and you can't fake it if it's not in you, but it can be invaluable for a team to have. It's one of the biggest things A&M lost this year when Colson moved on.
I agree the 2000 team would beat this year's team. They had size, athleticism and an absolutely pitiless attitude towards opponents. I don't know if there was a team that had more of a killer instinct than that bunch. This year's squad wouldn't be able to outwork them or wear them down but what would do them in is the lack of size in the paint. That group of Swin, Asjha and Tamika who could all bang under the basket or step out and take the mid-range shot - deadly. Add to that a mobile Schuie and this year's team would be toast. Not right away, though :)

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Speaking of Sue Bird. Her pull-up jumper was / is the best ever...If Bria can get that shot in her arsenal on a consistent basis she will become legendary. I think you comparison to Asjha Jones and Morgan Tuck is a fair one...almost same body types. Morgan puts up better number in high school...Asjha was late bloomer...you may just get your wish. Adding in the players we have coming in...the comparison between the 2000 team and next year's huskies takes a different turn. Swin was a unique player with a unique skill set...I don't thing we will have a player like her. Tamika through her injuries still was one heck of a finisher...the three of them together were down-right stingy when it came to rebounds. Our future version of the Huskies has uniqueness of its own. Moriah Jefferson will bring the most unique skill set in a point guard that we have ever had... Breanna Stewart has the potential to be the best Huskie ever and that is saying a lot. KML is lights out shooter and a darn good basketball player. And, the size we have in the middle with Dolson, Kiah and Heather is a luxury that the 2000 team didn't have. Throw in Kelly, Bria (the almost Sue Bird clone), Michala, Lauren...and we have what I believe is the best team ever assembled in women's college basketball.

Summary of the 2012-2013 Husky team

Dolson the number 2, 3, or 4 best Center in Women's College Basketball
Kiah the number 2, 3, or 4 best Center in Women's College Basketball
Moriah the number 1, 2, or 3 best guard in Women's College Basketball
Breanna Stewart the number one power forward in the WCBB; the number one or two small forward in the game
Morgan Tuck one of the top ten power forwards in the WCBB
KML the number one or two small forward in WCBB; the number one or two shooting guard in the game
Bria Hartley the number one or two shooting guard in WCBB; One of the top 3 point guards in WCBB

Translation: An absolute nightmare for their opponents.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Swin was a unique player with a unique skill set...I don't thing we will have a player like her.
I actually see a lot of Swin in Tiffany. That was my impression from the SU game, anyway.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Summary of the 2012-2013 Husky team

Dolson the number 2, 3, or 4 best Center in Women's College Basketball
Kiah the number 2, 3, or 4 best Center in Women's College Basketball
Moriah the number 1, 2, or 3 best guard in Women's College Basketball
Breanna Stewart the number one power forward in the WCBB; the number one or two small forward in the game
Morgan Tuck one of the top ten power forwards in the WCBB
KML the number one or two small forward in WCBB; the number one or two shooting guard in the game
Bria Hartley the number one or two shooting guard in WCBB; One of the top 3 point guards in WCBB

Translation: An absolute nightmare for their opponents.

And you didn't even list the Seniors here :0)

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
[quote="cferraro04, post: 144355, member: 267"
]Swin was a unique player with a unique skill set...I don't thing we will have a player like her.
I actually see a lot of Swin in Tiffany. That was my impression from the SU game, anyway.[/quote]

True...Tiffany sure took it to another level Wednesday night. She was a joy to watch as it was apparent that she was expressing her own personal joy for playing the game. What I meant by my comments regarding Swin were in the context to next year's team.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
And you didn't even list the Seniors here :0)

True...add Kelly, Heather and Doty to that list and that spells double nightmare... I think our starting five will be lucky to average 22 minutes per game next year.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I think our crunch-time lineup against good teams will be Bria-KML-Kelly-Breanna-Stef. That will be a monster.

Having Brianna, Kiah, Moriah, Morgan in reserve with Doty and Buck floating in and out is ridiculous as well.

Reaction Score
I agree the 2000 team would beat this year's team. They had size, athleticism and an absolutely pitiless attitude towards opponents. I don't know if there was a team that had more of a killer instinct than that bunch. This year's squad wouldn't be able to outwork them or wear them down but what would do them in is the lack of size in the paint. That group of Swin, Asjha and Tamika who could all bang under the basket or step out and take the mid-range shot - deadly. Add to that a mobile Schuie and this year's team would be toast. Not right away, though :)
But would they beat Maya's teams?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Although I'd probably give the edge to the 2000 team over the 2009 team, when the 2009 team was playing like this, they were pretty much unstoppable.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Although I'd probably give the edge to the 2000 team over the 2009 team, when the 2009 team was playing like this they were pretty much unstoppable.
That Louisville team had no post presence, but I still get what you're saying. The questions are, could Asjha, Tamika, Swin And Schuie contol both Tina and Maya, and could Renee, Kalana, Tiff and Lorin contol Sue, Svet and Shea?

That would be a heck of a game, huh? The players listed above (both generations of Huskies) would made a damn fine team.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
That Louisville team had no post presence, but I still get what you're saying. The questions are, could Asjha, Tamika, Swin And Schuie contol both Tina and Maya, and could Renee, Kalana, Tiff and Lorin contol Sue, Svet and Shea?

That would be a heck of a game, huh? The players listed above (both generations of Huskies) would made a damn fine team.
It would be fascinating. The 2009 team probably has the two best players on the floor in that matchup, but would not have anywhere near the depth. Renee as a senior vs Sue as a soph would be intriguing, as would Shea on O vs. KG on D. The 2009 team has no answer for Svet defensively. As Stanford showed last season, you could contain Maya if you could switch on her defensively with size (which UConn 2000 had the personnel to do), but then you concede someone/thing else. And Renee and Tina were big-time enough to make an opponent pay for that approach. I'd say the 2000 team would win six or seven times out of ten, but if Maya was just unconscious shooting (which she often was), Tiff or Renee had hot hands, and Tina was able to get more one-on-one matchups in the post as a result, 2009 could win.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Renee as a senior vs Sue as a soph would be intriguing, as would Shea on O vs. KG on D.
Shea would have the occasional big scoring game but she wasn't a major offensive threat. After seeing her play again today, I'd call her Kelly-like, great defense, great passing, mostly scoring garbage points off of offensive rebounds and capable of making open shots when left wide open.

Kalana would probably draw the assingment on Svet. That would be fun to see.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score

The big question is:

Does this years team have equivalent "refuse to lose" players
as that 2000 team? Time will tell; but I don't think so this year.

Thanks for the memories, Nan!

Reaction Score
I rarely post but needed to say that this is one of the best discussions that I have seen on the board. Thanks Nan.

Reaction Score
Although I'd probably give the edge to the 2000 team over the 2009 team, when the 2009 team was playing like this, they were pretty much unstoppable.
Seems to me they played like that every game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom