OT: - 1990 Storrs | The Boneyard

OT: 1990 Storrs

Reaction Score
What was the convenience store between campus and Friendly's? I was thinking Wawa. Long story....

Reaction Score
Yeah, I think you are right. I just remember going there for late night ice cream runs in the middle of tortuous studying sessions. Cookies and Cream was new then. As were Dove Bars.

Reaction Score
There was definitely a Wawa’s next to the Friendly’s plaza. I don’t remember when it closed, maybe ‘93 or ‘94. Store 24 was around, but in the plaza with the florist and Campus Disc.

Reaction Score
I think store 24 became a tedeschi’s around 2010-2011... we all still called it store 24

And yeah there was a freindlys until around that time down the road too, by DP dough?

Pretty sure that’s all gone now, or at least store 24 is, now that the storrs center is there

QuickDraw

NCSWIC
Reaction Score
I believe it was a Wawa back then, I don't think store24 was in CT back then

Reaction Score
Daily Campus circa 1990

For those of you alive back then, here is a trip down memory lane.

So, both Store24 and Wawa existed back then. I just can't visualize which was where. The store I am recalling was right off the main road that came from RT84 and passed in front of Shippee. I don't remember if it was standalone or part of a larger complex.

Reaction Score
Was it Store 24 or Wawa that had two chili dogs for a dollar? It's still burned in my memory and my colon.

Reaction Score
In 1990 it was Store 24. I remember all the Mass kids called it Store 2-4 (like 10-4)

Reaction Score
Daily Campus circa 1990

For those of you alive back then, here is a trip down memory lane.

So, both Store24 and Wawa existed back then. I just can't visualize which was where. The store I am recalling was right off the main road that came from RT84 and passed in front of Shippee. I don't remember if it was standalone or part of a larger complex.

Thanks for posting that link. A few things about that issue of the Daily Campus:
  • I probably had the same reaction when I read it back then, but I can't believe I knew one of the guys in the Husky Talk section.
  • Nice to see the Far Side. "Deadly couch cobra" :D
  • Also good to see one of those needle in a haystack personal ads. At least "long brown hair and off white t-shirt" was a little more specific than the usual "Looking for the girl with brown hair wearing jeans and carrying a UConn backpack walking by the library yesterday. I was the guy wearing a baseball cap and a Huskies sweatshirt."
  • At least 5 different ads from the Campus Florist. Interesting advertising approach.

Anyway, I took this picture back in 2012, shortly before they demolished the plaza. This was from across the street, on the corner by EO Smith:

IMG_0073a.JPG

Store 24 was in the left corner of the building. If you were driving to the right, Wawa would have been a little further down the road.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Guess it’s a positive I have zero recollection of a Friendlys; must have missed it with all of Storrs’ quality establishments in the 80s

I don't recall seeing one in the 80s. And since we had no restaurants other than Huskies and Ted's, I think I would have noticed.

Reaction Score
I don't recall seeing one in the 80s. And since we had no restaurants other than Huskies and Ted's, I think I would have noticed.
Friendly's was definitely there until 1995 at least. I lived in Storrs and went to EO Smith and remember eating the $2.22 breakfast which was 2 pancakes, 2 eggs, and 2 toast. I don't know too much about it after that when I went to university in Boston in 1996. The UConn 2000 project and the changes of the roads (I believe Hillside Rd, North Eagleville Rd etc) were a drastic change for me. An even bigger shock to my system was after I returned to Storrs for bball game at Gampel to see Storrs Central. Seeing how that area was in the 80s and 90s I never imagined they would turn into a nicer place.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That storefront with the yellow sign was a Hardee's when I attended. The worst Hardee's in the world. I made the mistake of opening up the bun once and the meat was green. I still ate it, of course, but I never made the mistake of looking inside again.

The white sign was the about the location of the worst pizza place in the world - Paul's Pizza. The place was apparently incapable of cooking a pizza that wasn't burnt. I'm not talking char like Pepe's, I'm talking burnt, like arson. The cheese was like napalm. I have to admit, their breakfast sausage was strangely satisfying.

Reaction Score
Did Paul’s do breakfast too or was that another place in that plaza? Whatever the breakfast place was, it was there a long time and was busy.

Reaction Score
Sounds like no one here is old enough to remember the Campus Restaurant. In the plaza that was demolished. It was all we had way back in time on that side of campus. No Geno's or any other nice restaurants. Not even Friendly's.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom