1989-90 Stanford Cardinal | The Boneyard

1989-90 Stanford Cardinal

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Alright so this is way before my time (and before probably 90% of people here started following WCBB), but I was looking at Stanford's old stats and the numbers this team assembled were pretty astounding, especially considering that the three point line was still very new and I believe shot clocks were longer back then.
-The team averaged 92.8 ppg, shot 50.1% from the floor, 42.1% from 3, and 76.4% from the line.
-The team averaged 22.9 assists per game and had a team A/TO ratio of 1.6
-They averaged over 10 steals per game
-Average margin of victory was 26.6 ppg
-The team went 32-1, with 29 of their victories by double digits. Only loss was by 3 points on the road to #7 Washington, and the close wins were a 7 point win over Boston College, a 9 point win in the Final Four over Dawn Staley and Virginia, and a 7 point win over Auburn in the title game.
-Best players were Jennifer Azzi, Trisha Stevens, Katy Steding, Julie Zeilstra, Val Whiting and Sonja Henning. Azzi and Steding were Olympians in 96, Whiting and Henning both played in the WNBA 7+ years later, and I'm not sure what happened to Trish Stevens who was the leading scorer.

At any rate, I haven't seen them play so I have no idea what the product on the court looked like, but I was extremely impressed looking at their stats and rarely ever see them mentioned among the best teams ever so thought I'd give them a shout out.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
That was before I was following WCBB. Sounds like they would've been a fun team to watch. I've seen quite a few Stanford-UW games over the years, but wasn't in Seattle until '96. Pretty cool the Dawgs were the only team to beat Stanford that season.

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
I couldn't find anything from 1990, but here's a video of Stanford's 1992 championship season.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I remember watching that 1990 team in the NCAA tournament, and I think they should be considered one of the best teams of all time that didn't go undefeated.

What's odd is that I remember Jennifer Azzi as being the star of the team, but in looking at the stats I see she was a close 3rd in scoring behind Stevens and Steding. I also remember the very steady hand of point guard Sonja Henning and the key role of post player Val Whiting off the bench.

Looked up their stats here: Historical Stats - Stanford University Athletics

Stevens 17.6 ppg, 55% FG
Steding 15.1 ppg, 47% FG, 46% 3FG
Azzi 14.7 ppg, 6.0 apg, 50% FG, 44% 3FG
Zeilstra 13.8 ppg, 54% FG
Henning 8.8 ppg, 6.7 apg, 45% FG
Whiting 12.4 ppg, 55% FG

I also think this Stanford team was innovative as the first team to really make use of the 3-point line, which was in only its third season. Mostly through Steding and Azzi, Stanford averaged more than 5 made 3-point baskets per game — a small number by today's standards, but it seemed like a lot back then, considering that just a few years earlier teams rarely took shots from more than 15 feet (just go back and watch the 1986 Texas or 1987 Tennessee teams to see what pre-3-pointer basketball looked like).

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
It was before I started following WBB, but Azzi, Steding, Henning and Whiting are all names I know. With the exception of some UConn teams - how many teams had 4 players that were so notable (I think possibly the USC teams in the Cheryl Miller day might be another).

bballnut90

Reaction Score
It was before I started following WBB, but Azzi, Steding, Henning and Whiting are all names I know. With the exception of some UConn teams - how many teams had 4 players that were so notable (I think possibly the USC teams in the Cheryl Miller day might be another).

USC in the 80s also takes the cake for most notable stars on one team. Cheryl Miller, Paula and Pamela McGee, and Cynthia Cooper.

Stanford had a loaded roster in 1996-97, with Olympia Scott, Kate Starbird, Kristin Folkl, Jamila Wideman, Heather Owen, Charmin Smith, and Naomi Mulitauaopele. I think all of those players had careers in the W or ABL even if none were major standouts at the next level.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I remember that team. I was a UVA fan back then. I've disliked Stanford WCBB ever since that Final 4. My dislike for TN began the next year in the Championship Game. The 1992 Final 4 cemented my dislike for Stanford :(

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I remember watching that 1990 team in the NCAA tournament, and I think they should be considered one of the best teams of all time that didn't go undefeated.

What's odd is that I remember Jennifer Azzi as being the star of the team, but in looking at the stats I see she was a close 3rd in scoring behind Stevens and Steding. I also remember the very steady hand of point guard Sonja Henning and the key role of post player Val Whiting off the bench.

Looked up their stats here: Historical Stats - Stanford University Athletics

Stevens 17.6 ppg, 55% FG
Steding 15.1 ppg, 47% FG, 46% 3FG
Azzi 14.7 ppg, 6.0 apg, 50% FG, 44% 3FG
Zeilstra 13.8 ppg, 54% FG
Henning 8.8 ppg, 6.7 apg, 45% FG
Whiting 12.4 ppg, 55% FG

I also think this Stanford team was innovative as the first team to really make use of the 3-point line, which was in only its third season. Mostly through Steding and Azzi, Stanford averaged more than 5 made 3-point baskets per game — a small number by today's standards, but it seemed like a lot back then, considering that just a few years earlier teams rarely took shots from more than 15 feet (just go back and watch the 1986 Texas or 1987 Tennessee teams to see what pre-3-pointer basketball looked like).

They shot so freaking well from deep too which is what really surprised me. Players now grow up shooting 3s from a very young age, I'm guessing Azzi/Steding didnt start until they were at least upperclassmen in HS, if not until they were in college. And both shot around 45%.

Reaction Score
As a Stanford Alum who was gone by then I remember watching a few games of that team. Thinking about them reminds me of how streaming and TV contracts have changed how much wbb you can actually watch now.

My recollection is that Azzi was the main star, but that Tara’s trademark triangle offense that she used before 2014 had a lot of interchangeable roles.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
As a Stanford Alum who was gone by then I remember watching a few games of that team. Thinking about them reminds me of how streaming and TV contracts have changed how much wbb you can actually watch now.

My recollection is that Azzi was the main star, but that Tara’s trademark triangle offense that she used before 2014 had a lot of interchangeable roles.
I swear I am not nitpicking - but Tara did not use the triangle at that time. I'm not sure how much the triangle was a thing back then, but she picked it up a bit later, I remember her doing so and I wasn't following at all till '94 and not enough to know much till '96.

Reaction Score
I swear I am not nitpicking - but Tara did not use the triangle at that time. I'm not sure how much the triangle was a thing back then, but she picked it up a bit later, I remember her doing so and I wasn't following at all till '94 and not enough to know much till '96.
You are correct. Found a piece that said she put it in in the 2000s.

The Jordan/Phil Jackson Bulls made it famous, but the triangle goes back to the 1940s and Tex Winter wrote a book about it in the 1960s.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom