#19 UConn v. #15 Northeastern (Fri. 2/25/22 @ Matthews Arena @7p on NESN+/Sat. 2/26/22 @ XL Center @3:05p on CW20) >Also streamed on CollegeSportsLive | Page 5 | The Boneyard

#19 UConn v. #15 Northeastern (Fri. 2/25/22 @ Matthews Arena @7p on NESN+/Sat. 2/26/22 @ XL Center @3:05p on CW20) >Also streamed on CollegeSportsLive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Officiating was disgraceful, but that's been covered. Question: At the start of the second period, Wheeler got pulled off the ice before the puck drop and was in a heated discussion with Cav and the official. Never saw him again. Does anyone know what happened??
Someone near me thought he got tossed from the game. No clue why. That may have played a minor part in us looking gassed at times being down a defenseman for the last two periods

Reaction Score
At the game we couldn't figure out why there was a review of Turnbull's goal. That was such an awful call. Easily the worst video call I've ever seen at a UConn game. It totally changed the game and perhaps UConn's season. That's a goal 100 out of 100 times. My brother, who was watching it on tv, texted me this: "Show that play to any hockey fan and they'd say 'Nice Goal.' At no point does it ever resemble goalie interference."

As you may tell from my avatar, I am a Tottenham fan. VAR can be a farce in the Premier League, and this was right up there with the worst VAR calls I've seen.

Bottom line, it was a disgrace.

Reaction Score
Don't fall for the usual suspects routine. Refs sucked, but get your team in shape to play 60 minutes. Question of the weekend - is Cavanaugh the guy to take us to the next level? No more excuses, just get done!!! You've got 3 weeks...

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Don't fall for the usual suspects routine. Refs sucked, but get your team in shape to play 60 minutes. Question of the weekend - is Cavanaugh the guy to take us to the next level? No more excuses, just get done!!! You've got 3 weeks...
Terrible take on this whole thing.

Reaction Score
I was at the game, and had a great view of the play. Anyone who has seen my previous postings knows that as a former referee (basketball, not hockey), I take a dim view of the constant criticisms directed at them. But this call was egregious! Contact was initiated by the NE goalie AND Turnbull never entered the crease. The entire momentum of the game was reversed by this call. No longer ahead, and charged up for a crucial weekend split, we are tied, crushed by a good goal having been disallowed.

Meanwhile, I love Hanson, but his weakness up high is being exploited.

Reaction Score
Yea right...

They do get gassed...

So, while I respect your opinion,
start paying attention when the rubber meets the road... They have had a conditioning problem at the end of periods 2 and 3 for years.

Bottom line - we need a sweep next weekend.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
NCAA refs have been instructed to closely call contact to the head. Based on the LETTER OF THE LAW...they got the call right. It stinks, but they TECHNICALLY got it right.

I would note that the contact happened because Levi went to play the puck, but in the crease he has the right to play it.

As horrendous as that situation was, UConn could not have responded any worse.

Reaction Score
I don’t follow. If the goalie INITIATES contact that has no impact on the rule? He dove into a skater who was trying to go around him.
Also, and I only saw the replay one on the scoreboard so I could be wrong…but turnbull appeared to just outside the line or maybe on the line.
So he was actually in the crease?
Even so they can’t go by any head fouls if it’s the goshdarn goalie initiating the contact.
Or at least they sure as hell shouldn’t.
Again this has tuck rule stench all over it if he was in fact in the crease by an inch.

Reaction Score
Yea right...

They do get gassed...

So, while I respect your opinion,
start paying attention when the rubber meets the road... They have had a conditioning problem at the end of periods 2 and 3 for years.

Bottom line - we need a sweep next weekend.
Start paying attention to the fact we beat UMass up there with two third period goals and pay attention to the fact that we put 100 shots on goal this weekend - many of which were in the third periods, and had a controversial goal stripped in the third period.
After the BS call we took the play right back to them for what seemed like a good five minutes. We got too aggressive and they made us pay.
The time period where people should bitch about there play was after the kondelik goal. From that point on through the rest of the period, northeastern took it to another level and we looked sloppy.
Also, if it’s true wheeler was kicked out the last two period that also has an impact on the other defenseman’s stamina.
Has there been any news on this wheeler stuff at all?

Reaction Score
Really? Are you kidding me??? Any other player on the ice gets called for tripping here.

Screenshot_20220226-223513.png

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
At the game we couldn't figure out why there was a review of Turnbull's goal. That was such an awful call. Easily the worst video call I've ever seen at a UConn game. It totally changed the game and perhaps UConn's season. That's a goal 100 out of 100 times. My brother, who was watching it on tv, texted me this: "Show that play to any hockey fan and they'd say 'Nice Goal.' At no point does it ever resemble goalie interference."

As you may tell from my avatar, I am a Tottenham fan. VAR can be a farce in the Premier League, and this was right up there with the worst VAR calls I've seen.

Bottom line, it was a disgrace.
COYS

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Northeastern was the better team today and deserved the win.
Not until a valid goal was taken away. I tried to get get the ref you suck going but there wasn't any other takers.

Reaction Score
Alright so I stand corrected, he technically was at the top of the crease.
However…
Please change the crease to be the rectangle it used to be. The idea that a skater has to skate around that half circle at the top of the crease when the goalie isn’t even in that spot is so comical I dont know where to begin.
Upon looking at that play Levi was so far away from the puck that he must have been trying to tackle Turnbull. He was NO WHERE near the puck when he dove out toward Turnbull. Which makes me even further pissed off.
At the time he came straight out toward the shooter the puck was well to his right. He knew this. The play was right in front of him. So he took down a goal scorer and got rewarded.

Last edited:

zls44

Reaction Score
. The idea that a skater has to skate around that half circle at the top of the crease when the goalie isn’t even in that spot is so comical I dont know where to begin.
That’s how the NCAA has called it does a few years now. Is what it is. Can’t be in the crease at all. They’re pretty hard and fast on it.

Reaction Score
All I know is I saw a NU player (probably captain) rush up to Levi right after the goal and they barked something to each other.

Rushed over to ref right after to obviously to complain to ref to get the goal overturned.

But, you know they knew it was a goal and had to find something....

Conspiracy against UConn? Who knows, but crappy call and that call changed everything.

Pretty much 6th is our spot now

Reaction Score
That’s how the NCAA has called it does a few years now. Is what it is. Can’t be in the crease at all. They’re pretty hard and fast on it.

From the most recent NCAA hockey rulebook. If I'm reading correctly, the referees have final call even if a skater is in the crease:

Rule 73 - Interference on the Goalkeeper
73.1 Interference on the Goalkeeper - The overriding rationale of this rule is that a goalkeeper should have the ability to move freely within the goal crease without being hindered by the actions of an attacking player. However, an attacking player’s position, whether inside or outside the crease, should not, by itself, determine whether a goal should be allowed or disallowed. In other words, goals scored while attacking players are standing in the crease may, in appropriate circumstances, be allowed. Goals should be disallowed only if an attacking player, either by positioning or by contact, impairs the goalkeeper’s ability to defend the goal.

Am I correct in interpreting that the bold italics allows the official leeway on the overturn and it's not automatic?

Now, looking at that video at the time contact is initiated. Turnbull is at the center of the top of the crease, but the puck is already well to Levi's right. Levi moves forward on his belly in a sprawling move toward the center of the top of the crease where Turnbull is - but again, the puck is clearly already past him. The only thing saving Levi is if his right pad can stop it. And oddly enough the only reason his right pad ends up as close to the puck as it ultimately does when Turnbull backhands is because after Levi collides with Turnbull, he is being dragged along with Turnbull toward the puck ...and Turnbull STILL gets it past his right leg and into the open space. Ironically enough if Turnbull was entirely outside the crease, it would have been a much easier goal to score IMO.

Am I being a homer in interpreting this? I leave that open as a possibility.

Reaction Score
All I know is I saw a NU player (probably captain) rush up to Levi right after the goal and they barked something to each other.

Rushed over to ref right after to obviously to complain to ref to get the goal overturned.

Conspiracy against UConn? Who knows, but crappy call and that call changed everything.

If we sweep Vermont I can maybe see an opening for 4th. Merrimack plays northeastern. I can not for the life of me believe Merrimack is in second place. If Levi plays like this I could see northeastern keep rolling and take two games vs MC but we shall see. Not impossible.
BU plays BC on Sunday. Need a BC win

zls44

Reaction Score

They challenged because they knew the rule. This wasn’t a conspiracy.

zls44

Reaction Score
From the most recent NCAA hockey rulebook. If I'm reading correctly, the referees have final call even if a skater is in the crease:

Rule 73 - Interference on the Goalkeeper
73.1 Interference on the Goalkeeper - The overriding rationale of this rule is that a goalkeeper should have the ability to move freely within the goal crease without being hindered by the actions of an attacking player. However, an attacking player’s position, whether inside or outside the crease, should not, by itself, determine whether a goal should be allowed or disallowed. In other words, goals scored while attacking players are standing in the crease may, in appropriate circumstances, be allowed. Goals should be disallowed only if an attacking player, either by positioning or by contact, impairs the goalkeeper’s ability to defend the goal.

Am I correct in interpreting that the bold italics allows the official leeway on the overturn and it's not automatic?

Now, looking at that video at the time contact is initiated. Turnbull is at the center of the top of the crease, but the puck is already well to Levi's right. Levi moves forward on his belly in a sprawling move toward the center of the top of the crease where Turnbull is - but again, the puck is clearly already past him. The only thing saving Levi is if his right pad can stop it. And oddly enough the only reason his right pad ends up as close to the puck as it ultimately does when Turnbull backhands is because after Levi collides with Turnbull, he is being dragged along with Turnbull toward the puck ...and Turnbull STILL gets it past his right leg and into the open space. Ironically enough if Turnbull was entirely outside the crease, it would have been a much easier goal to score IMO.

Am I being a homer in interpreting this? I leave that open as a possibility.

That’s the point of the rule- they want guys to stay out of the crease. It should’ve been a trip on Levi, but if Carter doesn’t go into the crease, this isn’t called back. I don’t like the rule, but it’s the rule.

Reaction Score
I understand the point of the rule. I think many of us do. I just pointed out that it is NOT automatic that you take the goal off the board. It appears there is discretion allowed by the ref.

Reaction Score
That’s the point of the rule- they want guys to stay out of the crease. It should’ve been a trip on Levi, but if Carter doesn’t go into the crease, this isn’t called back. I don’t like the rule, but it’s the rule.
You can argue point of rule all you want but any rational fan or hockey person in general (which should include a referee) knows that goal should not be waived off. Honestly it’s embarrassing. All that said the northeastern goalie was great. And up 2-0 I had a feeling next going wind and we did not get it.

On your Vermont.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99