#19 UConn v. #15 Northeastern (Fri. 2/25/22 @ Matthews Arena @7p on NESN+/Sat. 2/26/22 @ XL Center @3:05p on CW20) >Also streamed on CollegeSportsLive | Page 6 | The Boneyard

#19 UConn v. #15 Northeastern (Fri. 2/25/22 @ Matthews Arena @7p on NESN+/Sat. 2/26/22 @ XL Center @3:05p on CW20) >Also streamed on CollegeSportsLive

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I've been watching hockey games since the late 1960s and yes, there can be goalie interference even if the goalie initiates contact but, I've only seen that called if the opposing player is in the crease and he impedes the goalie from blocking a shot.

On that play it was splitting hairs to claim Turnbull was in the crease. Beyond that, the contact initiated by the goalie was in the goalie's attempt to poke check the puck away from Turnbull, not to block a shot.

I don't know if the rile, as written, allows for this (or even if the spirit of the rule includes this) but I believe it was quite a stretch to call that goalie interference and wipe off the goal.

Reaction Score
I offer no opinion on the ref's ultimate call because I'm not a fan of the rule as written. But here's the overhead shot for reference.

1645942967866.png

Reaction Score
Every time I look at the videos I think Levi knew he was beat and just threw his body at the skater i desperation mode hoping for a prayer. Prayer answered.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Every time I look at the videos I think Levi knew he was beat and just threw his body at the skater i desperation mode hoping for a prayer. Prayer answered.

This is exactly what occurred. Goalie was beat and tried to body the puck carrier. Had no interest in playing the puck. That is why this is the bad call of all bad calls.

As for being outplayed, are you guys serious. We put over 100 shots on goal in two games that should translate to about 8-10 goals and scored 3. We beat by a tremendous goalie, a packed in defense and a giving up fast breaks which NE is very good at but we were clearly the aggressor for most of both games.

Reaction Score
I need Connelly to find out why the coaching staffs - in particular the two head coaches - were having those animated discussions for several minutes after the game….and what the deal was with the drama over the opening face off of the second period.

Reaction Score
I've been watching hockey games since the late 1960s and yes, there can be goalie interference even if the goalie initiates contact but, I've only seen that called if the opposing player is in the crease and he impedes the goalie from blocking a shot.

On that play it was splitting hairs to claim Turnbull was in the crease. Beyond that, the contact initiated by the goalie was in the goalie's attempt to poke check the puck away from Turnbull, not to block a shot.

I don't know if the rile, as written, allows for this (or even if the spirit of the rule includes this) but I believe it was quite a stretch to call that goalie interference and wipe off the goal.
It’s a Boston-centric conference. We all know this. We just have to be that much better to avoid the reviews. It sucks but life ain’t fair

Reaction Score
I wasn’t able to catch the Coach’s Show myself but I’ll assume this is an accurate representation of what was discussed:

Reaction Score
The fact they ruled it a goal, the diving goalie who created the interference whined about it and only at that point they reviewed it and INCORRECTLY overturned it REALLY ticks me off..and it may have cost us 1-3 points in the standings, but whatever.
Make these officials due some hard core work on the new arena for 12 hours once the season is over.
Is the coach's show saved anywhere? I wonder if they discussed the Wheeler situation.

Reaction Score
I wasn’t able to catch the Coach’s Show myself but I’ll assume this is an accurate representation of what was discussed:

Let's see a direct quote from Hockey East.

Reaction Score
This really ticks me off. We’ll see how much their incompetence cost us. Hopefully the team will come out pissed off against Vermont this weekend. And I hope the officials are banned for the rest of the season.

Reaction Score
This really ticks me off. We’ll see how much their incompetence cost us. Hopefully the team will come out pissed off against Vermont this weekend. And I hope the officials are banned for the rest of the season.
Again, show me a QUOTE from Hockey East before I go ballistic.

Reaction Score
Let's see a direct quote from Hockey East.
Here it is:

"We would like to apologize to Coach Cavanaugh and the UConn fanbase. The first three beverages are on the house this weekend, funded by the two officials who worked the game."

Reaction Score
I'm not sure you're going to get an official statement from the league if they are embarrassed by the incident. Obviously you see that sometimes, but a college hockey league? Who knows. They may have just let Cavanaugh know and they'll leave it at that.

I obviously trust what he says. An official quote would be nice though (although the one above would be better).

Reaction Score
Vermont just defeated Northeastern. That increases our probability of a top four finish (again, assuming we get all six points this weekend) from 65% to 72%.

Reaction Score
Here it is:

"We would like to apologize to Coach Cavanaugh and the UConn fanbase. The first three beverages are on the house this weekend, funded by the two officials who worked the game."
In my dreams. I'll take a Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA, a Sea Hag IPA and a Dog Fish 60 IPA. Once I arise from my chair, any of you is welcome to assist me to me place of abode.

Reaction Score
Vermont just defeated Northeastern. That increases our probability of a top four finish (again, assuming we get all six points this weekend) from 65% to 72%.
As I understand it, if we sweep we are in the top 4 when you consider the other matchups going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom