$17m early buyout agreement per Blaud | Page 9 | The Boneyard

$17m early buyout agreement per Blaud

Reaction Score
No, it doesn't make any sense at all. Because the extra student requires 10% more labor that needs to be reimbursed, so now you're on the hole.

I am telling you, professors and department budgets are literally paid by butts in seats. Adding extra students means more labor. Universities are corporatized now in the sense that money to fund even raises is distributed according to how many students take classes in a department, how many are majors, how many are serviced for their final projects. When departments are growing and have burgeoning needs to service more students, they need to hire people. That expenditure is taken right out of their limited budgets. Not to mention the caps on classes which literally means the 21st student can't even enroll so he/she needs to be put into a class with similar students who will require yet another instructor.

Let me put it an even easier way. The taxpayer subsidy is reserved for in-state students. If it is generous, as it is in states like Virginia, that will mean that very few OOS students will be admitted. It is leaves the university wanting, the school will push to enroll more OOSs to make up the revenue shortage.

This literally means that the number of OOS students are proscribed ahead of time. They know exactly how many they want/need. If you suddenly convert OOS to INS, there will necessarily be a revenue shortall in the budget.

The North Carolina people, as shown in the article, are hyperaware of this. Which explains why the 2005-2006 experiment was ended a few years later when the school had a big budget cut. They immediately ended the program because they knew it would mean more money for the university.
I love the insight....

Sounds like it’s all about the “BUTTS IN SEATS!!”

Lol...

Reaction Score
Neither side was fleeced. It’s a fair enough separation.

I would have liked to see football stay in the AAC. I think it makes sense for both sides, and the scheduling of basketball matchups could have been an ongoing commitment that benefitted both sides. In the end, it was probably too much for Aresco’s personal EQ to get that done. It would have taken mature diplomacy on both sides.

In the end UConn wins.
1) basketball is in a top conference.
2) all conference sports are in a more reasonable footprint.
3) football and tier 3 rights should be able to be packaged for TV revenue.
4) football schedule should have an opportunity for the best of the AAC rivalries with basketball scheduling alliances. Think Temple, Cincy, and Memphis.

What you lose is access to an automatic minor bowl should you win a conference. No great loss.

Reaction Score
Where Aresco was fleeced was his 2 TV contract negotiations.

I wouldn’t be surprised if UConn had a position of giving him a chance on the 2nd negotiations. Get $15M annually and keep some tier 3 rights and the AAC might make sense. Get half that, give up tier 3, and absorb production costs and it’s a fail.

UConn talked to the Big East long before the AAC contract negotiations. The Big East was a back up in case Mike failed. Mike failed.

pj

Reaction Score

I would have liked to see football stay in the AAC. I think it makes sense for both sides, and the scheduling of basketball matchups could have been an ongoing commitment that benefitted both sides. In the end, it was probably too much for Aresco’s personal EQ to get that done. It would have taken mature diplomacy on both sides.

In the end UConn wins.
4) football schedule should have an opportunity for the best of the AAC rivalries with basketball scheduling alliances. Think Temple, Cincy, and Memphis.

What you lose is access to an automatic minor bowl should you win a conference. No great loss.

Football in the AAC, either as a full member or with a scheduling alliance similar to Notre Dame's with the ACC, hasn't been ruled out. Having the exit agreement in place has cleared the decks, both parties are now free agents, and there is time to find a mutually beneficial arrangement, if one exists.

Agree that such a deal would make Aresco look bad, therefore it's likely to happen only if ESPN pushes the conference to do it.

Reaction Score

In the end UConn wins.

we lost money going to the small bowls

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
That assumes that out of state students don’t receive any merit incentives or grants. In this competitive environment, I believe that to be unlikely. Note that I am not talking about federal need based grants.

It also completely ignores the value that athletics bring to the university. Jim Calhoun, and later Susan Herbst, both described athletics as the front porch and the mansion that is the university. The notion of if we eliminate the athletic department, then the university makes more money because all those empty seats can now be sold disregards the fact that many of those filling the empty seats are looking for a diverse student experience that includes attending competitive athletic events.

Don't disagree with either of your points. But the statement that removing a football team's worth of scholarships ( probably twice that due to Title IX) would have no effect on the budget is crazy. That is what I was responding to.

I hope we continue to build our football team.

Reaction Score
Ooh, I didn’t even think of the missed bowl revenues. That’s a good chunk of change.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Given spotty attendance for more than a few courses, it’s clearly more about names registered, not butts in seats.
Many people never leave the pre-class tailgate.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom