OT: 17 ways to tell someone is from connecticut | The Boneyard

OT: 17 ways to tell someone is from connecticut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Being out of state, and thus being objective on the matter, this list is incredibly accurate.

Reaction Score
The part about Dunkin is true but no mention of the java. Most people I know go there for the coffee not the average tasting doughnuts.

And yes, Faifield county is a suburb of NYC. ;)

I have an old friend down in Atlanta who's husband drive 25 miles to get her dunkin for her bday.

Reaction Score
Lol Quassy sucked so much ballz

I drove by there the other day and the Monster is no more. They have some new wooden roller coaster now, but I can't imagine that being much less rickety.

Reaction Score
Surprised they didn't mention Lake Compounce or Riverside, it's right across the border in Mass but every CT. resident went to Riverside growing up. Also no mention of pizza, we talk more about pizza here than we do basketball.

Reaction Score
I had to laugh at #15....so true and I love me some DD (coffee not the donuts). I moved near Greenville Sc almost 5 years ago and they are hard to find and impossible to get a cup at night. The few that are here close at 9pm and one even closes at 7!

Reaction Score
pretty much 17 for 17... I'm not a coffee drinker so D and D is not a big deal. But my cousin moved to California and was lost without it. Now that a D and D has opened in LA, she has been resurrected.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Number 6 is not limited to CT. It was a weekend pastime in central Massachusetts.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Lol. 3, 4 and 9 are so true. #18 should've been " they look down on everyone
Else's pizza". I've visited folks in the south and upstate New York that got excited about ordering out for Papa Johns pizza and other places . I politely responded by saying " Dude , don't you know I'm from New Haven , Ct. , this pizza is beneath me." " Don't let this happen again".

Reaction Score
#2b: "if a nutmegger doesn't like UConn it's b/c they're snobs whose parents went to schools like Duke, BC, Syracuse or Ivy League schools"

Reaction Score
That got me laughing because we did that. A lot.
So can you explain it to me? Did nobody's parents ever leave the house?

fwiw I think it's also to a smaller degree a Mass thing.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I guess the best explanation I can muster is that the location of the party on any given night was almost always the last thing to be worked out, and oftentimes it didn't work out at all. So...the woods were often the default, and we knew the woods in most areas better than anyone who might want to find us. And we had forts in many of them too, some of which were pretty elaborate.

One of the more brazen examples that comes to mind was the day of the CROP hunger walk. We had the day off from school if we were participating in the hunger walk, so of course we all signed up. And we walked until we were far enough from others not to be seen. And then we disappeared into the woods, through backyards, etc. until we could get to a car we had stashed nearby. And then we drove to where the rest of us had left our cars, including one with a quarter keg we had obtained for the occasion. We then drove to a predetermined state forest where we knew we could enter without detection, hiked a mile or so into the woods and had an epic session from which many legendary stories were born.

Reaction Score
I guess the best explanation I can muster is that the location of the party on any given night was almost always the last thing to be worked out, and oftentimes it didn't work out at all. So...the woods were often the default, and we knew the woods in most areas better than anyone who might want to find us. And we had forts in many of them too, some of which were pretty elaborate.

One of the more brazen examples that comes to mind was the day of the CROP hunger walk. We had the day off from school if we were participating in the hunger walk, so of course we all signed up. And we walked until we were far enough from others not to be seen. And then we disappeared into the woods, through backyards, etc. until we could get to a car we had stashed nearby. And then we drove to where the rest of us had left our cars, including one with a quarter keg we had obtained for the occasion. We then drove to a predetermined state forest where we knew we could enter without detection, hiked a mile or so into the woods and had an epic session from which many legendary stories were born.

Growing up in rural Southbury, we had about 8-10 spots in the woods that were rotated. We were basically like party at the moon tower in Dazed and Confused. I remember carrying a keg 1/2 a mile into the woods. Few people were dumb enough to have house parties because the house would get wrecked and have their stuff stolen.

Reaction Score
Growing up in rural Southbury, we had about 8-10 spots in the woods that were rotated. We were basically like party at the moon tower in Dazed and Confused. I remember carrying a keg 1/2 a mile into the woods. Few people were dumb enough to have house parties because the house would get wrecked and have their stuff stolen.

Hey.....it ain't a party until something gets broken.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

fwiw I think it's also to a smaller degree a Mass thing.

This is the real reason. Most crimes under 18 are expunged upon turning 18. Parental disappointment if their crap is stolen lasts far longer. Whatever the police can do doesn't even come close to rivaling that. Not to mention, the host can't run if the police came.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Few people were dumb enough to have house parties because the house would get wrecked and have their stuff stolen.
Ain't that the truth.

One of my more memorable examples of this was when our krewe was attending a party somewhere in Wilton or Ridgefield--one of those word of mouth parties where we were "invited" by someone who knew someone who knew the girl whose parents weren't home, and everyone essentially crashed it. We showed up with a keg, which we were wont to do, and the party quickly got out of hand. Someone called the cops--may even have been the host--and we were all told to get out asap. On my way out, I remember seeing one of my classmates standing in a very nice room in the house that was decorated wall to wall with framed photos and other collectibles. He spotted a huge jar of pennies in the room, grabbed a couple handfuls at threw them at the walls, shattering most of the glass in the frames. And then he ran out laughing maniacally.

Reaction Score
I wonder what this would look like if it were, "17 ways to tell someone is from Kentucky".... oh man that would be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom