17 seconds with the ball | The Boneyard

17 seconds with the ball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tie game with the ball and 17 seconds to go and Uconn takes it to the hoop and loses possession.
We got the ball back and went to the line to convert 2 but too much time is left on the clock and Notre Dame ties it to go into OT.

I was shocked to see Uconn did not try to get the last shot in regulation.
Geno actually was encouraging the penetration when i thought he would try to slow the play down with a timeout.Very odd turn of events.

Reaction Score
Tie game with the ball and 17 seconds to go and Uconn takes it to the hoop and loses possession.
We got the ball back and went to the line to convert 2 but too much time is left on the clock and Notre Dame ties it to go into OT.

Geno actually was encouraging the penetration when i thought he would try to slow the play down with a timeout.Very odd turn of events.
It gave me flashbacks to the TN game when Sveta was supposed to take the game winning shot but instead unexpectedly passed it (to Swin I believe) and we lost the game.

Reaction Score
Thought it was bad strategy since UConn had already blown a 2 on 1 bunny layup.

Would have thought the last shot could have been to Dolson or Hayes.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

UConn was struggling against ND's half-court defense. Kelly stole the ball and had an advantage. Attacking the basket was the right thing to do. Put the pressure on ND to make a shot to tie. It almost worked UConn; just couldn't snare the defensive rebound.

Reaction Score
UConn was struggling against ND's half-court defense. Kelly stole the ball and had an advantage. Attacking the basket was the right thing to do. Put the pressure on ND to make a shot to tie. It almost worked UConn; just couldn't snare the defensive rebound.

Yup.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
It gave me flashbacks to the TN game when Sveta was supposed to take the game winning shot but instead unexpectedly passed it (to Swin I believe) and we lost the game.
Actually Svet passed the ball to Tamika Williams who was too far under the basket by the times she received the ball, so she missed the shot.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Yup.

"Couldn't snare the defensive rebound."

Because Geno had taken Kiah out of the game, and chose to defend with 5 guards -- leaving UConn with no rebounders on the floor. Much to Geno's credit, he owned up to the mistake in his presser. He said that (bad) choice is what he will take home with him after the game.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
As it is lurkers and double agent bait posting night on the Boneyard ,it is good to see you posting tonight Olde Coach as my last view of the night. I am out of here.

Reaction Score

The pass went to Tamika Williams.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
As it is lurkers and double agent bait posting night on the Boneyard ,it is good to see you posting tonight Olde Coach as my last view of the night. I am out of here.
I agree... something doesnt feel right (atleast 3 strange faces)

Reaction Score
Hartley tried going to the hoop with 4 ND defenders back and plenty of time on the clock in a tied game. Whatever possessed her to do that, she needs to get it out of her system in the off season lol. If not for Kelly's steal we probably suffer an even more excruciating type of loss based on that decision.

Reaction Score
Hartley tried going to the hoop with 4 ND defenders back and plenty of time on the clock in a tied game.

It was at this point I screamed at my TV, "What was she thinking?!" Then two seconds later screaming "Go go go" as Kelly sprinted to the other end with the steal.

The last few minutes of regulation was really fun (and maddening) to watch ;)

Reaction Score
except it was Bria and she had no advantage. Whwn kelly stole the ball that was the right play but Bria dribbling into a bunch of defenders when she didnt have numbers at abot 0:22 made no sense.

Reaction Score
"Couldn't snare the defensive rebound."

Because Geno had taken Kiah out of the game, and chose to defend with 5 guards -- leaving UConn with no rebounders on the floor. Much to Geno's credit, he owned up to the mistake in his presser. He said that (bad) choice is what he will take home with him after the game.
I think he is being too hard on himself. It's not like it was an unreasonable decision. It seemed like a good idea at the time. It just didn't work out. But it might also not have worked out if he kept Kiah in and then he would be kicking himself for not having 5 guards on the floor.

Reaction Score
except it was Bria and she had no advantage. Whwn kelly stole the ball that was the right play but Bria dribbling into a bunch of defenders when she didnt have numbers at abot 0:22 made no sense.

I made a mistake - it was the 22 sec mark that i was refering to.
If you look back at the video Geno was waving her forward to continue with the penetration.
I thought Kelly's was ok b/c she had the advanyage on the play and was likely to score

Reaction Score
When we got the ball with 25 seconds left, I was screaming "hold for one! hold for one!" The situational awareness was just awful.

That being the case, Kelly definitely did the right thing attacking the hoop off her steal with 15 to go. She was guaranteed 2 FT's at worst. And she nearly had the and-1.

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
What I was confused about was that Geno left a timeout in his pocket after Novasel scored.. Why not use that timeout with 4 seconds left to design a play and get a good look? Because that pass on the last play was terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom