17-1-1 | The Boneyard

17-1-1

Reaction Score
We are 17-1-1 if our games were 30 minutes long. Only trailing at halftime to Providence; tied with St.John’s.
Trying to make a salient point. WTH. Is it not matching defensive intensity? 2nd half adjustments beating us? What? Fix this second half problem IMHO

note: this is not mutually exclusive of the other points made, but UCONN should never lose 2nd half

Reaction Score
We are 17-1-1 if our games were 30 minutes long. Only trailing at halftime to Providence; tied with St.John’s.
Trying to make a salient point. WTH. Is it not matching defensive intensity? 2nd half adjustments beating us? What? Fix this second half problem IMHO

note: this is not mutually exclusive of the other points made, but UCONN should never lose 2nd half
When did we start playing 15 minute quarters?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

This is why my first post-game comment was about wishing to watch recorded halftime speeches instead of rewatching the games.

For my own purposes, I'm wanting to know the 2nd half game plans, the specifically communicated adjustments, etc.

It feels like I could more readily discern what Xavier, Providence, Marquette, and St John's were intending in each second half. It has looked like UConn has been playing the other team's game, which, in all areas of life, is widely regarded as much more difficult to win.

Reaction Score
Early in the season we came at teams in waves. With AJ, Joey and DC on the second unit.

When the other teams were tired late 2nd half our whole team was charged.

Then AJ moved to a starter spot and minimized the 2nd unit and messed up Newton in the process.

Stats don’t lie

Reaction Score

and we're 15-4 when games are 40min...

effectively 2 games (throwing your tie into the loss column because I'm assuming we lost that game) out of 19 were decided in the last 10 min...it's hard to argue that's significant.
Early in the season we came at teams in waves. With AJ, Joey and DC on the second unit.

Then AJ moved to a starter spot and minimized the 2nd unit and messed up Newton in the process.

Stats don’t lie
Stats don't lie, but they certainly are misleading when you look at them in a vacuum

Reaction Score
This is why my first post-game comment was about wishing to watch recorded halftime speeches instead of rewatching the games.

For my own purposes, I'm wanting to know the 2nd half game plans, the specifically communicated adjustments, etc.

It feels like I could more readily discern what Xavier, Providence, Marquette, and St John's were intending in each second half. It has looked like UConn has been playing the other team's game, which, in all areas of life, is widely regarded as much more difficult to win.
BINGO

Reaction Score
and we're 15-4 when games are 40min...

effectively 2 games (throwing your tie into the loss column because I'm assuming we lost that game) out of 19 were decided in the last 10 min...it's hard to argue that's significant.

Stats don't lie, but they certainly are misleading when you look at them in a vacuum
Not when the four losses are against BE rivals…and 3-4 coaches are better than DH IMHO. Certainly on the what they got out of their teams in the 2nd half

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
We were at our best when AJ first came back and was coming off the bench. Makes you wonder….if the energy he would bring with him if we start slow could help. It will also keep him from getting his first foul until maybe the 7 minute mark.

Reaction Score

this team stinks right now.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

During Monday's Manning broadcast, Peyton said there were no such things as "halftime adjustments". You went to pee, grabbed a couple of snacks, and it was time to go back out. Maybe there was rah-rah go-get-'em-tiger encouragement, but nothing substantial as to changes in the game plan. Our local sports talk folks asked some former NFL players if Manning's take was true, and all said yes.

I've never played anything but intramural hoops, so I don't know the veracity of this, but I would think if it's true for football, it could be true for hoops. Perhaps someone who's played college hoops can chime in as to what halftime is like.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
During Monday's Manning broadcast, Peyton said there were no such things as "halftime adjustments". You went to pee, grabbed a couple of snacks, and it was time to go back out. Maybe there was rah-rah go-get-'em-tiger encouragement, but nothing substantial as to changes in the game plan. Our local sports talk folks asked some former NFL players if Manning's take was true, and all said yes.

I've never played anything but intramural hoops, so I don't know the veracity of this, but I would think if it's true for football, it could be true for hoops. Perhaps someone who's played college hoops can chime in as to what halftime is like.
I suppose that it could be true for basketball, but on initial consideration, I offer that there are only 5 players on the court rather than (pretty much) 2 separate 11-man teams that rotate offense & defense AND don't generally freely substitute among the so many of the players who play the so-called scoring positions so liberally throughout the game. And football doesn't have the risk of a player fouling out and being disqualified from continued play. These resource-management issues probably make the sports dissimilar, but I'll defer to someone who has competitively played both sports.

Reaction Score
Slow second half starts are a plague for us though. Really hurt against St Johns. The UConn toughness narrative was not there. Players just seem slow after halftime in this downturn. We always have the starters on the court after the half so it is on them.

Reaction Score
The reality is we’ve played 19 games and played poorly in 3 of them. I think the road loss at Xavier we didn’t play horrible, but we just got outplayed. The losses to PC and Marquette definitely killed our confidence. I’m pretty confident we’ll get it back as quickly as we lost it.

Reaction Score
The reality is we’ve played 19 games and played poorly in 3 of them. I think the road loss at Xavier we didn’t play horrible, but we just got outplayed. The losses to PC and Marquette definitely killed our confidence. I’m pretty confident we’ll get it back as quickly as we lost it.
That's what I'm hoping. The way they were playing earlier this season wasn't a mirage. It's still the same players.

Reaction Score

Coaches are making adjustments constantly to gain advantage or minimize weaknesses. Half time adjustments usually means making strategic adjustments based on a chunk of game information… like hey, they we’re shooting 25% from 3 and killing us with penetration in the paint… let’s move to 2-3. DC you stay in the paint. Forwards stay closer to the paint and look for the forwards to cut for the dump pass. Make them kick out and live or die on the 3. Guards defend inside out and don’t chase and get beat on your hip pocket. The minute the ball is up I want the high side guard releasing and any free bodies filling lanes. Push the ball up, attack and I want shots going up in the 1st half the shot clock. Never let them get set in their D. Create mismatches. That kind of thing.

Reaction Score
Coaches are making adjustments constantly to gain advantage or minimize weaknesses. Half time adjustments usually means making strategic adjustments based on a chunk of game information… like hey, they we’re shooting 25% from 3 and killing us with penetration in the paint… let’s move to 2-3. DC you stay in the paint. Forwards stay closer to the paint and look for the forwards to cut for the dump pass. Make them kick out and live or die on the 3. Guards defend inside out and don’t chase and get beat on your hip pocket. The minute the ball is up I want the high side guard releasing and any free bodies filling lanes. Push the ball up, attack and I want shots going up in the 1st half the shot clock. Never let them get set in their D. Create mismatches. That kind of thing.
I never see any changes with this coach

Reaction Score

Stats don’t lie
Well said! I love AJ's energy, and off the bench it provided a boost. Although he's a terrific athlete (would be a marvelous wide receiver for the football team), his tendency to get into foul trouble early and sit the bench disrupts our current starting lineup.

Reaction Score
That's a Hurley zone right there. 17 guys out at the 3-point arc.
Donny Marshall just scoffed and says that's a ridiculous amount of guys for college basketball.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Donny Marshall just scoffed and says that's a ridiculous amount of guys for college basketball.
….because when he played……..( fill in blanks)

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Lack on discipline at the end of games. Other stretches too, but less noticeable.

Reaction Score
I don't know the number exactly but it seems like SHU scored on 8 of the first 10 offensive possession in the second half.

We were much more aggressive on the perimeter in the second half. In the first half we played back a little more and had a great defensive half.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom