#15 Kentucky @ Mississippi - 2/04/21 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

#15 Kentucky @ Mississippi - 2/04/21

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Both Kentucky and Mississippi State are on a bad trend right now. Mississippi is better than their record suggests but this was a really bad loss. The game wasn't even close down the stretch.

Reaction Score
Wasn’t the interim already an assistant for the team?

Yes, but its different being assistant vs. head coach. You could pose it another way, why hadn't some other Division 1 school hired her to run their program? If a Kentucky caliber coach is available wouldn't an Eastern or Northern Kentucky want them?

Reaction Score
Wasn’t the interim already an assistant for the team?

Elzy was the associate head coach under Mitchell for 4 years before this season, so its not like the team or the university was unfamiliar with her. She is also a KY product, although she played at Tennessee in college under Summitt.

When Mitchell stepped down and Elzy was named as the Interim Head Coach, the UK AD Mitch Barnhardt didn't really explain the process moving forward as to WHY Elzy would remain as an "interim" head coach. Typically, when a HC steps down, takes another job or is fired, it's done at a sufficient time that allows the AD to search for a proper replacement. If it happens during a part of the off-season that involves team preparations or activities, typically members of the staff left behind would be designated the "Interim HC" to run the program, until such time a new HC is found. Then that former staff may move on, or be absorbed into the new HC's staff if possible.

If there isn't enough time to find a proper HC replacement, or it happens during the season, a member of the existing staff may be designated "Interim" to again, continue to run the program. Typically at the end of that season, decisions are made to move forward and find that replacement, or make the Interim HC the official HC if he/she does well enough to warrant it. For an assistant who had the experience under Mitchell to be the AHC, often they go ahead and make them the official HC unless the AD already has someone in mind or gets serious inquiries from proven HCs.

I don't have questions as to why Barnhardt chose to make Elzy the official HC. She paid her dues enough to warrant it. What confuses me is why all of a sudden a top player like Howard - who I'm sure Elzy had a lot to do with her even being at UK, and who has coached her her entire college career - suddenly is not happy to be playing for Elzy. There has to be something deeper than just personality conflicts....

Reaction Score
With my transparent criticism of ole Kentucky, Ole Miss is a little bit better than their record is. they really should have a few more wins in conference play. They honestly had LSU beat twice but had two epic choke jobs to give it away.

IMO Kentucky and Miss St are trending really bad directions right now of SEC teams I expected more from this year.

Arkansas has been very underwhelming also in conference play.

Reaction Score
Isn’t that just a perception?

Yes, and that's part of the reason why I am confused about it. But another thing I was thinking, is that Howard may be Kentucky's version of Texas A&M's Chennedy Carter, who demanded such a sole focus offensively, that perhaps there may be an "addition by subtraction" effect once Howard moves on??

Reaction Score
Yes, and that's part of the reason why I am confused about it. But another thing I was thinking, is that Howard may be Kentucky's version of Texas A&M's Chennedy Carter, who demanded such a sole focus offensively, that perhaps there may be an "addition by subtraction" effect once Howard moves on??
I could see that being the case.

Texas A&M's ranking at this point of the season (16th) is better than last year. They finished 18th in the AP rankings. Believe they were considered a top 10 team at the beginning of the season.

Reaction Score
OM has been on the cusp of a win like this all season and finally finished the job. Like MSU, KY should be better than they are showing.

The SEC is truly a dog fight this year and while SC is clearly still the class of the conference the rest all seem capable of winning or at least giving someone a heck of a game. Auburn, FL, Mizzou aren't all that great but they've played the heck out of some good teams.

If there is a SEC tournament there will be more drama than the past five years for sure.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
To me, the difference in this game was the Ole Miss Freshman and how she played down the stretch. She should win her 4th SEC FOW and is the leading candidate for FOY. Austin, given all her physical skills still underwhelms me. I was waiting for her to close out the game but...:oops:

As @SECbbfan24 noted, Ole Miss choked away a few games due to poor coaching by Coach Yo. I like what I see at times but the in game coaching needs to improve a lot for them to be serious contenders for a conference Top 4 consideration. Plus I think Austin is WNBA eligible.

Reaction Score
This is true which is one of the things that puzzled me about her leaving Maryland early. She is projected to go late in the first round.
Austin has the right to do whatever she wishes and on the surface the destination is a head scratcher but that is one reason why I am not a fan of immediate eligibility unless it's under extreme circumstances. I don't care what messed up precedent the NCAA has set before but I feel this will ultimately damage the game. Still, she has clearly helped the team this season and would be terribly missed.

She really reminds me of Joyner Holmes in the sense you can see the talent is there along with some terrific physical tools but it hasn't exactly come together in the way it could.

Reaction Score
Kentucky might be the biggest underachievers in the entire country.
Its obvious their chemistry is off. Patterson and Howard are not on the same page , i dont think any player in the UK's starting 5 is on page with Patterson at this moment .

Reaction Score
This is true which is one of the things that puzzled me about her leaving Maryland early. She is projected to go late in the first round.
IF Austin does declare i think she's moving her way up into Top 5 status at this point. She's actually not as bad of a player on the perimeter as i assumed. I would not have that be her main spots on the floor but if she can catch it at the 3 point line and drive it the way she's been or pull up midrange and hit them the way she did last night she's def Top 5 certified IMO for this class at least.

Reaction Score
IF Austin does declare i think she's moving her way up into Top 5 status at this point. She's actually not as bad of a player on the perimeter as i assumed. I would not have that be her main spots on the floor but if she can catch it at the 3 point line and drive it the way she's been or pull up midrange and hit them the way she did last night she's def Top 5 certified IMO for this class at least.
Her potential could get her top 5. But her basketball IQ could still use some work and she is still a turnover machine.

Reaction Score
Her potential could get her top 5. But her basketball IQ could still use some work and she is still a turnover machine.
Don’t the majority of her turnovers result from her dribbling the ball while doing her Candace Parker imitation?

Reaction Score
While I agree her decision making is questionable at times. Half of her turnovers are from her trying to act like the teams PG trying to break presses going up the floor.

I'm sure Ole Miss tolerates it because its still better than not having Austin out there.

Reaction Score
Early reviews were good. I think she's regressed since Howard came back is more accurate isn't it?
Kentucky has looked different in these past several games. Something has changed. They look unmotivated at times. Reminds me of our team. It will be interesting to see what the trajectory is for Kentucky and Mississippi State after losing two successful coaches.

Reaction Score
To me, the difference in this game was the Ole Miss Freshman and how she played down the stretch. She should win her 4th SEC FOW and is the leading candidate for FOY. Austin, given all her physical skills still underwhelms me. I was waiting for her to close out the game but...:oops:

As @SECbbfan24 noted, Ole Miss choked away a few games due to poor coaching by Coach Yo. I like what I see at times but the in game coaching needs to improve a lot for them to be serious contenders for a conference Top 4 consideration. Plus I think Austin is WNBA eligible.
The current story on Shakira Austin is it seems her birth year was incorrectly placed as 1999 (instead of the actual 2000) in several of her bios on the internet, so it turns out she’s NOT age eligible for the draft. She’d have to graduate in three years in order to early declare for the draft. Many players don’t graduate in four years, so I don’t see graduating in 3 years happening for Austin. This option has never been used by any player in draft history. Age-eligible players frequently declare for the draft.

Reaction Score
The current story on Shakira Austin is it seems her birth year was incorrectly placed as 1999 (instead of the actual 2000) in several of her bios on the internet, so it turns out she’s NOT age eligible for the draft. She’d have to graduate in three years in order to early declare for the draft. Many players don’t graduate in four years, so I don’t see graduating in 3 years happening for Austin. This option has never been used by any player in draft history. Age-eligible players frequently declare for the draft.
Thanks for the info. I noticed that her name has been taken off of all the mock drafts this morning.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom