10 second-year players poised to break out (Sanogo) | The Boneyard

10 second-year players poised to break out (Sanogo)

Reaction Score

ADAMA SANOGO, C, CONNECTICUT

2020-21 stats: 7.3 points, 4.8 rebounds, 0.9 blocks per game.

Why he could break out: It is pretty hard to envision any scenario where UConn's Adama Sanogo doesn't develop into one of the Big East's most dominant big men.

After reclassifying from the class of 2021 to 2020 in order to arrive on campus a year early, the former four-star — a 6-foot-9, 240-pounder from Mali — has now been able to benefit from a full spring and summer in the weight room. Just watch this guy. There just aren't many young bigs who are as well schooled in establishing and holding position on the block. There also aren't many better versed in what to do once they catch the ball down there. Sanogo has a tough to guard jump hook that he makes with either hand and good footwork. Leaning up over the last year should give him a little more explosiveness off the floor and he's going to be a load this season.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately for us fans, talk and notoriety like this, could mean a final year of play.

Also, he's practicing every day against studs, so his propulsion should be expected.

I would agree if he had an NBA skillset. Back to the basket 6'9 bigs don't really have much value these days.

Better for UConn if it means he stays in college another year or two. There's still an important place in the college game for big men.

Reaction Score
I would agree if he had an NBA skillset. Back to the basket 6'9 bigs don't really have much value these days.

Better for UConn if it means he stays in college another year or two. There's still an important place in the college game for big men.
I agree. It's like a junior or senior 5-9 point guard who is great in college but isn't getting drafted early. The kind of players you love to have.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
I agree. It's like a junior or senior 5-9 point guard who is great in college but isn't getting drafted early. The kind of players you love to have.
See boatright, Ryan. Napier, shabazz. They did is okay in years 2-4.

Not ideal for him but I would be thrilled if lack of NBA wanted skill set means we get him for 4 years.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
I get what you all are saying but it's also good for UConn if he does break out, leaves early for the NBA, and gets drafted. That'd be big for future big men recruits and is not a bad "problem" to have.

That said, if he sticks around a couple more years and THEN gets drafted, that works too.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
I get what you all are saying but it's also good for UConn if he does break out, leaves early for the NBA, and gets drafted. That'd be big for future big men recruits and is not a bad "problem" to have.

That said, if he sticks around a couple more years and THEN gets drafted, that works too.

Agreed. If Sanogo plays lights out this year and gets drafted I still feel good about sophomore Samson, senior Akok, redshirt sophomore Springs, Freshman Clingan and freshman Karaban in the front court(not to mention high caliber transfer possibilities). It’s young and without a lot of experience, but the ability to boast multiple early draft entrees on top of early playing time for young talent will open up the recruiting pipelines even more than they already are.

Would also be happy to see Sanogo dominate for another 3 seasons. Win win either scenario

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

Don't think anyone disputes that. But as it has been mentioned numerous times, his game isn't typical of the modern day NBA big. The best prospect comparison for him could be along the likes of Sengun(sp?), but he was the mvp of his euro league at 18 years old.

Reaction Score

I hope you're right and maybe NIL changes things, but basically all the things you listed are why I think he's gone in the next 2 years. His NBA prospects aren't going to change over his time here so I can see him just wanting to make money early. Hopefully after a championship for UConn

Reaction Score
I hope you're right and maybe NIL changes things, but basically all the things you listed are why I think he's gone in the next 2 years. His NBA prospects aren't going to change over his time here so I can see him just wanting to make money early. Hopefully after a championship for UConn

I do think NIL changes things. You almost might as well stay in college if you have a decent NIL deal vs being a minimum contract type player in the NBA.

A lot of what ifs here though. If he can average a fairly effecient 15/10/2 or something either this year or next, he has to leave.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately for us fans, talk and notoriety like this, could mean a final year of play.

Also, he's practicing every day against studs, so his propulsion should be expected.
If he leaves after this season that means he had a monster year which likely means as a team we had a good run. Ill take it. When your programs biggest problem is guys leaving early life is good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom