10 for 40 | The Boneyard

10 for 40

Reaction Score
That what Vital and Gilbert shot combined. Plus numerous bad plays down the stretch. Unacceptable performance by our leaders. I will give Vital credit for rebounding though. Polley should have gotten more shots. Gilbert as the PG needs to know when a guy is hot and when he is not.

Reaction Score
Polley got hot briefly. So did Akok, but Gilbert and Vital just took turns jacking up and missing bad shots early in the shot clock instead of looking to pass or setting up a play. Jalen did the same thing at times when we fell behind early and went in to panic mode. At least Jalen was semi effective at it. I'm a Hurley fan but I was astonished he let the hero ball continue without pulling these guys briefly and giving them an earful. I didnt always love the quick hook of Calhoun. Thought it made the young players tentative at times.....but Hurley needs to borrow a bit of from JC here. We are not talking about freshman here who are raw and mistake prone. We have 2 senior guards and their actions need consequences at times. There was no attempt to run offense and they just continued to make the same mistakes that did not work. Someone has to step in and stop the cycle of madness. Gilbert has still not learned how to play at this level in regards to his diminutive stature. Vital plays hard but is limited and he lets his pride get in the way far too much. I mean both times the guy he was guarding hit a 3 in his face, Vital had to come down the court and try and return the favor as if it was some kind of mano a mano battle. Both times he predictably bricked his 3's.

Reaction Score
Gilbert taking a bunch of shots while Polley was red hot in the last 5 minutes was the last nail in the coffin. Horrible decision making by Gilbert.

Gilbert is now 41% inside the arc for his career. That’s the equivalent of shooting 27% from 3. He needs to penetrate and kick, or brave up for some contact because he’s not a good finisher and he’s hurting the team by wasting numerous possessions each game. I’d like to see him focus on making plays for others rather than doing it himself.

Reaction Score
Gilbert taking a bunch of shots while Polley was red hot in the last 5 minutes was the last nail in the coffin. Horrible decision making by Gilbert.

Gilbert is now 41% inside the arc for his career. That’s the equivalent of shooting 27% from 3. He needs to penetrate and kick, or brave up for some contact because he’s not a good finisher and he’s hurting the team by wasting numerous possessions each game. I’d like to see him focus on making plays for others rather than doing it himself.
His refusal to drive and kick, especially once Polley got going was so frustrating.

He actually did kick it out on one play and it led to the B Adams open 3. I hope the staff addresses this. Hurley mentioned in a coaches show or a podcast before the year that they were emphasizing the need for Al to become more decisive at the foul line - float it or find the open man. Haven’t seen anything change yet.

Reaction Score
positive - both AG & CV (and everyone else, for that matter) have a massive opportunity to rebound against Florida on Sunday. Gampel will be rocking - put this start behind you and go to work!!

Reaction Score

He's also only a 71% free throw shooter for his career. That's not terrible, but he's got to find some way to gain an edge and make the other team pay. Can't be a below average shooter from everywhere!

Reaction Score
The starting guard play isn't good enough. Not even close. And that's not because of inexperience.

Having said that, pulling guards requires an option. Adams couldn't play 2 minutes without fouling last night, Bouknight is still out and Gaffney clearly isn't ready to play yet coming off the injury. It's not like he can steal minutes with Polley or Wilson at the 2.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
His refusal to drive and kick, especially once Polley got going was so frustrating.

He actually did kick it out on one play and it led to the B Adams open 3. I hope the staff addresses this. Hurley mentioned in a coaches show or a podcast before the year that they were emphasizing the need for Al to become more decisive at the foul line - float it or find the open man. Haven’t seen anything change yet.
Gilbert drives without the ability to change his plan based on what the defender does.

First of all, He literally drives directly at a big man. Then, when they don't move, he just throws it up in the general direction of the rim. The thought process of a kick out just does not exist. Jalen Adams had the ability to slip around the defender. Gilbert is surprised they treat him like a mosquito.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The starting guard play isn't good enough. Not even close. And that's not because of inexperience.

Having said that, pulling guards requires an option. Adams couldn't play 2 minutes without fouling last night, Bouknight is still out and Gaffney clearly isn't ready to play yet coming off the injury. It's not like he can steal minutes with Polley or Wilson at the 2.
What's it saying that Gaffney will probably be getting starter's minutes and ending the game on the floor, if not officially in the starting 5 by February?

Reaction Score
There was no need to take so many low percentage shots eatly on. We had the advantage inside.

Reaction Score
What's it saying that Gaffney will probably be getting starter's minutes and ending the game on the floor, if not officially in the starting 5 by February?

Don't we need to see if Gaffney is ready before reaching a conclusion like that. I'm not going to say he isn't but for the injury, but until we see more than we've seen that seems premature.

Reaction Score

Don't we need to see if Gaffney is ready before reaching a conclusion like that. I'm not going to say he isn't but for the injury, but until we see more than we've seen that seems premature.
Yeah. I love the kid and think hell be great..but are you basing that prediction off of, the YT mixtapes? What have we seen so far?

Reaction Score
I know Hurley still doesn't have nearly the depth he would like especially with Gaffney missing preseason and Bouknight suspended but he simply can't allow Alterique and Vital to play that way on offense. They need to be held accountable for the constant bad shots and forcing things. It's the same terrible basketball we saw under Ollie and it needs to stop.

Husky25

Reaction Score
No. The other 50% of this consideration is limiting Gilbert's minutes.

Remember as kid, your mother telling you to tell your brother (Sister, Dad, whathaveyou) that dinner is ready, and you scream at the top of your lungs in their general direction that dinner was ready? What was Mom's inevitable retort? Always, "Well, I could have done that."

That's how I feel about Gilbert at this point. I empathize with his injury history, but anyone can run directly into The Trees and throw up an airball lay up.

Gaffney's unknown floor is worth more to me than Gilbert's known ceiling.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Yeah. I love the kid and think hell be great..but are you basing that prediction off of, the YT mixtapes? What have we seen so far?
We've seen Gilbert.

Reaction Score
I know Hurley still doesn't have nearly the depth he would like especially with Gaffney missing preseason and Bouknight suspended but he simply can't allow Alterique and Vital to play that way on offense. They need to be held accountable for the constant bad shots and forcing things. It's the same terrible basketball we saw under Ollie and it needs to stop.
Exactly what I said above in this thread. Actions need consequences or this cycle of madness will just continue. When we fall behind, our 2 guards can't just decide to go 2 on 5 every trip and not be held accountable. It's a learned behavior that's been going on several years now and needs to be stopped before it gets passed on to another class of recruits. Sometimes the only way to do that is for a coach to leverage playing time. At least yank the player out briefly to send a message that it's not ok and wont be tolerated.

Reaction Score
Exactly what I said above in this thread. Actions need consequences or this cycle of madness will just continue. When we fall behind, our 2 guards can't just decide to go 2 on 5 every trip and not be held accountable. It's a learned behavior that's been going on several years now and needs to be stopped before it gets passed on to another class of recruits. Sometimes the only way to do that is for a coach to leverage playing time. At least yank the player out briefly to send a message that it's not ok and wont be tolerated.
Agreed but @superjohn point is Hurley essentially has only 3 guards right now. Gaffney is a total liability until he gets fully healthy and gets quality practice time, and Bouknight has one more game where he is suspended. B. Adams was in foul trouble all night, so Hurley really didn't have the option of taking Gilbert or Vital out. Soon that will change.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Agreed but @superjohn point is Hurley essentially has only 3 guards right now. Gaffney is a total liability until he gets fully healthy and gets quality practice time, and Bouknight has one more game where he is suspended. B. Adams was in foul trouble all night, so Hurley really didn't have the option of taking Gilbert or Vital out. Soon that will change.

B Adams is gonna give us short spells this year that's it. Not quick, so he gets beat on D and ends up fouling.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

You're not wrong but the option was having Sid Wilson run point. No one is going to be accountable if they know they won't sit no matter what.

Husky25

Reaction Score
You're not wrong but the option was having Sid Wilson run point.
He filled the center of the zone like Daniel Hamilton did so effectively. Is there a reason he can't play point forward as well?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

I agree but in a performance that bad, you have to make a statement. AG can't shoot, finish at the hoop, defend and he turns the ball over.

What's left really that anyone on the bench can't do. What really disspoints is the effort, or lack thereof, to understand what they can and can't do. The stubborness of believing whatever delusions they have about their own skill level.

That was a bad team that embarrassed them without really breaking a sweat. The only reason they closed to 3 was because they were also very thin in terms of depth.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
He filled the center of the zone like Daniel Hamilton did so effectively. Is there a reason he can't play point forward as well?

He doesn't have much vision or handle. And getting him to organize and offense would be borderline hilarious

Reaction Score
You are thinking short term for just this one game(we lost anyway). I'm thinking big picture and long term, which is more important seeing that we are a year or two away and have many young impressionable players. Calhoun would have put a walk on in for a minute just to send a message and he was right in doing it. Showing these guys that style of play won't be tolerated now or in the future is more important long term for the culture of the program than yanking Vital out of the game for 90 seconds for one game. Who to sub in for him for a couple possessions is completely missing the point. We are trying to break 3 years of bad habits versus playing Gaffney for a couple possessions when we were already getting beaten like a drum in the 1st half. How much worse could it have gotten, especially considering Gilbert and Vital were part of the problem. Throw a dart at someone on the bench. I'm pretty sure we can find someone who can take a bad shot, give up an open 3, and turn the ball over for 90 seconds while one of our guards is getting an earful on the bench.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom