#1 Stanford @ Arizona St - 1/03/21 | The Boneyard

#1 Stanford @ Arizona St - 1/03/21

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
While Ariz State can't score, they do ALWAYS play good defense. So a big win for Stanford, 65-45.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Arizona St has been shall I say a Thorne in Stanford's side over the years, but hard to see them staying close today.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Arizona St has been shall I say a Thorne in Stanford's side over the years, but hard to see them staying close today.
don't no way GIF

Reaction Score
Thinking about Stanford's destruction of Uarizona it's indeed possible that ASU is humiliated. If they face tip off without Eboni Walker, Iris Mbulito and Brey'anna Sanders then this very young freshman laden team will be facing an almost overwhelming challenge. CTT however does a great job of forging character and a sense of team so this game will go a long way to showing how far the young Sun Devil team has progressed in that regard.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Stanford defense came to play, Arizona State needed two free throws with .3 seconds remaining to double their scoring output as Stanford leads 19-4 after 1Q. No Cameron Brink today either for Stanford.

Reaction Score
The ASU Sun Devils may be young, they may not be nearly as highly rated as the Cardinal, they may not have received much respect, but they sure have heart and character.

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
Not able to watch this game but was surprised to see a 11-4 foul differential against the Card. Then I saw that Missy is reffing and it all makes sense. She sure has made the game closer after the first quarter looked like a blowout was in the making! Since it was 19-2, there have been 10 fouls called on the Cardinal and a single one against the Sun Devils. Sure.
Missy Barlow and Michael Price. Double whammy.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Not able to watch this game but was surprised to see a 11-4 foul differential against the Card. Then I saw that Missy is reffing and it all makes sense. She sure has made the game closer after the first quarter looked like a blowout was in the making! Since it was 19-2, there have been 10 fouls called on the Cardinal and a single one against the Sun Devils. Sure.

Edited to add: the Cardinal also hasn't made a single trip to the line halfway through the 3Q. ASU must play the cleanest defense in the nation!
I am watching this game and to be honest, after the great start, Stanford has not been sharp. ASU has been scrappy and I would not say the refs are being biased. Stanford is in control of this game even with an 8 pt lead.

Brink is out with a non-Covid related illness

Reaction Score
anyone know why Cameron Brink is not playing?

She was banged up against Arizona, went to the locker room never returned. Unclear as to what the injury is, but she's on the bench tonight, but not playing. I suspect something with a banged knee or a hamstring.

Reaction Score
The usual, Stanford never reports. Did they ever report on Haley Jones or did it just leak out last year? I am guessing it is Tara's policy, not Stanford's?

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I will say ASU is the UCF of the PAC12 with their “defensive style” of play and ugly offense...

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Jones only got 5 shot attempts? Chilly shooting from Kiana and Lexie (combined 9-30 overall and 2-14 behind the arc), seems to be a frequent issue this season. Belibi had herself a day. Cardinal up only 5, but Devils are about out of time.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Who’s announcing this game? They are getting a tad carried away on how “great” thePAC12 is...need someone send a tweet with the number 4, as in in 38 year of champions, the PAC is only ahead of the Big Ten and ACC and behind the SEC, Big Easy And Big12.

Now they are lobbying for ASU to be ranked in the Top 25. Jeesh, didn’t they see the Cal game?

Reaction Score
I'm proud of ASU performance this afternoon. Certainly 180 degrees from the kitties performance this weekend.

After trailing 21-4 the Devils outplayed the Card.

Reaction Score
Stanford isn’t as good as everyone might have thought... only my opinion..ASU played a good game.

Reaction Score
Stanford isn’t as good as everyone might have thought... only my opinion..ASU played a good game.

Perhaps go watch the Arizona game? This was Stanford's 6th game on the road against a scrappy Arizona State that deserves to be ranked in the Top 25. ASU is recently a team that Stanford has struggled with, so I'll take the win!

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I'm proud of ASU performance this afternoon. Certainly 180 degrees from the kitties performance this weekend.

After trailing 21-4 the Devils outplayed the Card.
Well the Cats drilled Cal by 36 and beat the Devils by 28 if you recall.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I must say, Belibi won me over this weekend with her efforts in both games this week.

But these two announcers Candy and Cindy just said Tara is the GOAT...SmDH
Lies No GIF by Shalita Grant

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I'm gonna go back to my maybe less than clever pun, ASU has given Stanford a hard time in plenty of games over a lot of years. Haven't won that many of them, but it seems like they usually manage to keep it close vs. the Card.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Yeah, Belibi w/ 23 pts/12 boards 10-14 FG. If it wasn't for Onyenwere's monster game against Oregon, Fran would've been the clear best performer in the Pac today.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I rarely if ever complain about reffing, but the Missy thing galls me endlessly because it is so utterly predictable. In our first 8 games this season, we averaged about 1 foul fewer fouls called on us than on our opponents (and none were close games down the stretch that can warp those numbers). ASU averaged about 2 fouls fewer than their opponents. So basically, it's a wash in terms of either team's propensity for fouling or drawing fouls.

Tonight, until ASU started intentionally fouling in the last minute, it was 20 to 7. ASU had more free throw opportunities than made baskets! It's so often like this in Missy-called games that who the ref is really does affect the play on the floor.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I rarely if ever complain about reffing, but the Missy thing galls me endlessly because it is so utterly predictable. In our first 8 games this season, we averaged about 1 foul fewer fouls called on us than on our opponents (and none were close games down the stretch that can warp those numbers). ASU averaged about 2 fouls fewer than their opponents. So basically, it's a wash in terms of either team's propensity for fouling or drawing fouls.

Tonight, until ASU started intentionally fouling in the last minute, it was 20 to 7. ASU had more free throw opportunities than made baskets! It's so often like this in Missy-called games that who the ref is really does affect the play on the floor.
Since I didn't see the game and posts are a bit disjointed to read - are you saying Missy is good or bad for Stanford? IMHO, she's just in the tradition of watching a game only she is seeing.

I can assure you that in the many, many years ago, Epiphanny Prince reach in in the Rutgers end, against the side line with less than a second left, she was very good for Stanford indeed. It "was" a foul, but exactly how the Stanford player was going to score when pinned against the side line by the Rutgers bench with less than a second remaining is, well, a mystery, until Missy sent Stanford to the free throw line to win the game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom