#1 / 3 | The Boneyard

#1 / 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
I would see various combinations of numbers like #3/5 or #1/3 placed next to a school's name and their next opponent and it had me puzzled although I knew it had something to do with rankings. I thought about this really, really, really hard and think I have the answer but correct me if I am wrong. The first number is the ranking set by the Associated Press (AP Top 25) while the second number is the ranking given by the USA Today Coaches Poll. Thank you!

Reaction Score
I would see various combinations of numbers like #3/5 or #1/3 placed next to a school's name and their next opponent and it had me puzzled although I knew it had something to do with rankings. I thought about this really, really, really hard and think I have the answer but correct me if I am wrong. The first number is the ranking set by the Associated Press (AP Top 25) while the second number is the ranking given by the USA Today Coaches Poll. Thank you!
I believe you nailed it. Nice job!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Be careful, don't hurt yourself. :D But yep, you got it. I knew there was hope for you. :cool:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The order for the numbers is not specified and may vary - so you cannot always count on it being AP followed by USA - but otherwise nailed that one!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The order for the numbers is not specified and may vary - so you cannot always count on it being AP followed by USA - but otherwise nailed that one!
I knew what the numbers were but was unsure of the sequence. I wonder if most writers simply put the lower number/higher ranking first.

Reaction Score
Nicely done, and we all know that to live without Hope is to cease to live!

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
However, one thing to remember is that the rankings listed are for when the game is played and do not change as the season progresses and the team goes up or down. You will sometimes read a comment on the BY from a wise poster who will say something like, "Louisville beat no ranked teams in yada yada year," even though their schedule for yada yada year shows a number of wins over ranked opponents. These teams may not have finished the year in the top 25, but at the time the game was played they were ranked.

The reverse can be true also. Early last year Iowa State was ranked and Iowa wasn't, but the reverse was true at the end. Teams like USC and Middle Tenn also moved into the rankings later on, so UTenn is credited on their schedule with playing an unranked MidTenn team for their season opener then, though of course the ratings services at the end all factor the game as one against a seasoned Blue Raiders squad.

Reaction Score
I knew what the numbers were but was unsure of the sequence. I wonder if most writers simply put the lower number/higher ranking first.
No need to worry about it this week for the top 3: USC 1/1, UCONN 2/2, Texas 3/3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom