04 Games | The Boneyard

04 Games

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
A close one against Rutgers (surprised to see Marcus at the end of the game here)

Reaction Score
Watch the first half of the Alabama Elite Eight game. Then when you see Rashad and BG tomorrow, point them out and say “those are the two men who destroyed an entire state’s basketball dreams in 20 minutes.”

One of the most dominant offensive displays you’ll ever see that deep in the tourney, the Vandy game and even G-Tech for the title weren’t all that much more competitive either.

Watch the Oklahoma game, and wait for the Taliek pass. Then watch them beat up on G-Town a few days later.

Watch them run Cuse off the court by almost 30.

When you watch the ‘03-‘04 team, the thing to see is how this team absolutely decimated teams when Oakafor was healthy.

Last edited:

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Oklahoma is the one regular season game I re-watch from time to time. That team was so much fun. I remember watching it a few years ago and lamenting that our current husky teams didn't have the level of ball movement that those old ones did, and that was what made them so good. Then the last 14 months happened.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Watch the first half of the Alabama Elite Eight game.
This. I remember gathering at the local watering hole for this one. Alabama was the hot, trendy team. I still remember the Breadman telling me UConn was going to get run off the court. Did not happen, in fact it was oppisite day for the Breadman.

Reaction Score
This. I remember gathering at the local watering hole for this one. Alabama was the hot, trendy team. I still remember the Breadman telling me UConn was going to get run off the court. Did not happen, in fact it was oppisite day for the Breadman.
I was in the building in Phoenix for this Regional, and it was amazing just how cocky Alabama fans were before the game — I’ll always remember some guy wooo-ing loudly at my Dad and me in the parking garage then being shocked we weren’t Bama fans, too. They had just beat Stanford and Cuse, and were very sure that meant we were next.

They got real quiet in a hurry once Ben and Rashad started raining 3s on one end and Emeka blocked the same shot twice (once with each hand) on the other.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was at an academic conference in Chicago during the 2nd weekend. I somehow fell in with a lot of academics who were college basketball fans. They were a bit stunned at my complete confidence and total lack of care; they even asked me why I wasn't sweating any of it. This was the most peaceful college basketball experience I've ever had. More faith in that team than any team ever before or after.

I was positively incensed that the refs gave Emeka two cheap quick fouls in the semifinal. That got me out of my days of ZEN.

Reaction Score
A close one against Rutgers (surprised to see Marcus at the end of the game here)

The pace at which 03-04 played, just wow. Dreadful FT shooting in this one and I still remember how my heart nearly sank after that one pass with 7 seconds left, looked like such a dangerous pass in the moment.

Reaction Score
The pace at which 03-04 played, just wow. Dreadful FT shooting in this one and I still remember how my heart nearly sank after that one pass with 7 seconds left, looked like such a dangerous pass in the moment.
Taliek Brown extremely underrated for his ability to push the pace and create fast breaks even if the opponent had a few guys back. We scored a lot of easy points in an era where points where hard to come by in the half court.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Watch the first half of the Alabama Elite Eight game. Then when you see Rashad and BG tomorrow, point them out and say “those are the two men who destroyed an entire state’s basketball dreams in 20 minutes.”

One of the most dominant offensive displays you’ll ever see that deep in the tourney, the Vandy game and even G-Tech for the title weren’t all that much more competitive either.

Watch the Oklahoma game, and wait for the Taliek pass. Then watch them beat up on G-Town a few days later.

Watch them run Cuse off the court by almost 30.

When you watch the ‘03-‘04 team, the thing to see is how this team absolutely decimated teams when Oakafor was healthy.

I watch this game every couple of years. Rashad hits a 3 at the end of the 1st half that just buries Bama. We were already killing them but it was just a dagger. I'm surprised they walked out of the tunnel for the second half

Arguably this was our best ever team and if you want to watch them firing on all cylinders, this is the game to watch.

Reaction Score
I watch this game every couple of years. Rashad hits a 3 at the end of the 1st half that just buries Bama. We were already killing them but it was just a dagger. I'm surprised they walked out of the tunnel for the second half

Arguably this was our best ever team and if you want to watch them firing on all cylinders, this is the game to watch.
Gordon blowing on his fingers after a barrage of threes from he and Rashad in the first half was an iconic UConn moment.

1706384086121.png

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
That was an interesting final game. Georgia Tech easily beat us early in the season but I remember feeling confident we would whoop them in the final and we did. I seem to remember all UConn fans being very confident that GT would get hammered.

I've never been less nervous as a fan heading into a championship game.

They did beat us in MSG early in the season but IIRC we shot 10/30 (!) from the line and just didn't bring our A game that night. Whereas our guys were playing their butts off heading into the title game.

Reaction Score

They did beat us in MSG early in the season but IIRC we shot 10/30 (!) from the line and just didn't bring our A game that night. Whereas our guys were playing their butts off heading into the title game.
Sucks for the non-UConn fans, but man is it fun to be on top in a laugher for the title and not have to sweat it out.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Yeah a lot of Calhoun’s teams best offense was defense. They wanted to run teams out the gym.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Here’s the GTech championship game

Haha, if you want a good laugh, watch the Georgia Tech post game interviews when they beat us earlier in the season (Nov 2003)

To sum it up, paraphrasing; "They knew they were better, they knew they would beat us, they knew they were too athletic and physical for us"

That championship game had to be the biggest blowout in championship history. Not the final score, but the way it was played. Them hitting a barrage of meaningless 3s in the last two minutes made the score appear respectable

The game was over at halftime

Reaction Score
Yeah a lot of Calhoun’s teams best offense was defense. They wanted to run teams out the gym.
Emeka was an all-time great at collecting his own blocked shot (or a rebound) and outletting to Taliek or Ben to start the break. Once either of them started flying down the court in transition with others filling lanes, good luck. And if you somehow managed to contain that, it was actually worse for you because Rashad was spotting up for 3 and he wasn’t going to miss.

Calhoun was also so ahead of his time with lineup combinations, being able to crush you on the glass with double bigs while also doing things like playing multiple guards who could lead the break or initiate offense, using Charlie V. as essentially a modern stretch 4 and (not this team obviously, but around this time) sliding Caron down to the 4 and daring teams to keep up with Butler, Taliek, Ben and T-Rob together.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Okafor didn't play in that first game. Everybody considered it a toss out.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score

Mek was in and out of that game with back spasms.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom