► When is a jump shot . . NOT a jump shot? | The Boneyard

► When is a jump shot . . NOT a jump shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrDos

Skimmer
Reaction Score
► Have you noticed that almost every shot from the field is called a "jumper" by some
news people who should know better? If the feets don't leave the ground, it's a one
handed set shot. Come to think of it, I haven't heard that phrase in thirty years.

► There ... I feel better now!

ani-chr.gif

Reaction Score
Actually, I have always thought that many of Tiffany's long ones were set shots though it's hard to tell.

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
► Have you noticed that almost every shot from the field is called a "jumper" by some
news people who should know better? If the feets don't leave the ground, it's a one
handed set shot. Come to think of it, I haven't heard that phrase in thirty years.

► There ... I feel better now!
/quote]​

Ah, yes....., this reminds me of the great Sam Jones of the Celtics. Sam was the master of the set shot.​

I was a Knicks fan... But I loved watching those Boston guys play. Sam was a favorite of mine because of his knack for hitting the dagger set shot that put the opposition into capitulation.​

Your Ol'Pal Boo​

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Actually, I have always thought that many of Tiffany's long ones were set shots though it's hard to tell.
They are indeed one hand set shots. There is, also, something of a no woman's land where the release is from the forehead and the knees spring but barely or don't leave the ground. The form is more of a jump shot but the jump is minimal. The set shot is usually shot from below eye level, starting at the chin or chest.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I recently moved into the same complex as KC Jones, his backcourt mate in the day. Really nice guy. Golfed with him a couple of times.

I was waiting for him to hit his next shot. He sets up, then changes his mind. He walks by me to the cart, gets another club and says....I need my foe. I said your foe???? He flashes me his million dollar smile and says "you know....one, two, three, foe......I needed my foe iron...!

I wonder how often he used that line...lol.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
They are indeed one hand set shots. There is, also, something of a no woman's land where the release is from the forehead and the knees spring but barely or don't leave the ground. The form is more of a jump shot but the jump is minimal. The set shot is usually shot from below eye level, starting at the chin or chest.
The smaller young ladies use what we used to call a push shot. As much arm as it is wrist.

Maya's was pure wrist, like the guys shoot. KML is a hybrid. Mostly wrist, but a little push in it.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The smaller young ladies use what we used to call a push shot. As much arm as it is wrist.

Maya's was pure wrist, like the guys shoot. KML is a hybrid. Mostly wrist, but a little push in it.
Yes, a set shot is essentially a push shot. Exactly as Tiff shoots it. The really young often have to use the Two-handed set shot.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I recently moved into the same complex as KC Jones, his backcourt mate in the day. Really nice guy. Golfed with him a couple of times.

I was waiting for him to hit his next shot. He sets up, then changes his mind. He walks by me to the cart, gets another club and says....I need my foe. I said your foe???? He flashes me his million dollar smile and says "you know....one, two, three, foe......I needed my foe iron...!

I wonder how often he used that line...lol.

NICE !!! And a funny story

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

I see KML's shot as having quite a bit in common with Diana's. Both use the left hand in the shot delivery quite a bit more than other players, most of whom have the left hand in the classic position far off to the side of the ball, like Maya and Bria do. Also, they seem to release at a more extended point out and away from their body, again with both hands, although the right hand is certainly dominant (unlike a true two-handed shot).

Reaction Score
I've always heard that Paul Arizin of the Philadelphia Warriors was the first to consistently use the jump shot in the early 1950's.

Reaction Score
Then there's the two handed over the head set shot a la Carl Braun of the '50s Knicks. just like a soccer throw-in. Also the two handed underhand foul shot a few pros used.

Reaction Score
Then there's the two handed over the head set shot a la Carl Braun of the '50s Knicks. just like a soccer throw-in. Also the two handed underhand foul shot a few pros used.

A la Bridgeports Walt Luckett...former UConn player!

Attachments

• h2Oburyhuskyfan.gif
    h2Oburyhuskyfan.gif
    19.1 KB · Views: 81

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
A la Rick Barry.

Reaction Score
I've always heard that Paul Arizin of the Philadelphia Warriors was the first to consistently use the jump shot in the early 1950's.
Now you guys are getting into my time zone. I must add "Dolph Shayes and Bobby Wanzer.

AllAmerRedHeads

Barnstorming America author
Reaction Score
Back in the 1970s an All American Red Head named Karen Logan was on Battle of the Network Stars. She played a game of H-O-R-S-E against Jerry West and won. She later played against the Big "O". She lost on a shot. She made the shot, but because Oscar left his feet for the jump shot and she didnt, he won.

Reaction Score
the first prolific scorer to use the jump shot was Jumping Joe Fulks of the philadelphia warriors. he led the nba in scoring in his rookie season in 1946, and is in the hall of fame.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Actually, it wasn't until recently that a fair number of the females started shooting an elevated wrist flick jumper. Tiff definitely shoots a set shot for her 3s and needs some room to get it off. The women who can shoot on the run tend to shoot jumpers. especially the jump stop. But the jump shooting is becoming much more common on the 3s.

Clyde Lovellette wa the king of the standing set shot.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Let's not forget the transition from two-handed set shots (I remember the perfect form of the aforementioned Bobby Wanzer, Seton Hall, Rochester Royals) to the deadly, perhaps deadlier one of Bill Scharman which then morphed into the one-handed jumper of today
OT: I'm still chuckling over "Richard" Barnett

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Funny thing after the post/center discussion last were. During the premame against ISU Fox SportsSW listed Griner as a "post" but when she introduced herself she called herself a "center." Must be some old Southerner working for FSSW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom