►► Ultimate restructuring of College Football | The Boneyard

►► Ultimate restructuring of College Football

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrDos

Skimmer
Reaction Score
►► A writer for USA Today posits this ultimate restructuring of College Football.

► 1. Four 16 team "Mega-Conferences" emerge.

2. To capture all of the cash-flow from post-season play, the Megas leave
the NCAA and set up their own governance system.

3. The NCAA remnant (in hoops) struggle along with their own pre-split players
but after a few years basketball recrutment is devestated in the NCAA.

4. The new conference reigns supreme, the NCAA becomes minor league.
The Megas make very many millions.

* Since the NCAA will no longer make the rules ... what's to stop them from
"harvesting" good NCAA players with financial inducements and letting them play
immediately? The NCAA could become a minor league for the Megas.

rman726.gif

Reaction Score
The NCAA is indeed done. What an era we live in. The Ivy League schools probably are the ones who made college athletics popular.

Reaction Score
What's to stop paying them? The presidents of universities in leagues that give a thought to academics at least 30 seconds a day.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
He left out one very important item which happens to be the sole reason why this hasn't yet been done.

Every University in the United States (possibly byond our borders as well) has the right to apply for membership in the NCAA (USF joined less than sixty years ago). The type of organization that the NCAA is cannot have the exclusivity that the group being proposed wants to have. The above group (if it were the organization itself, not a collection of members of the organization) would have to establish a reasonable set of membership criteria and offer membership to everyone who met the criteria and applied for membership.

The BCS can deny membership to schools or conferences who are every bit as deserving as members of the BCS. The ACC can deny membership to schools who are every bit as deserving as current members of the ACC. The NCAA has a set of criteria established and cannot deny membership to any school who meets it. The posters on the Boneyard can pool our money together, start Boneyard University and at some point, if we believe we have grown to the point where we can field athletic programs, petition the NCAA for membership and the have to tell us what we can and must do to qualify. Once we do this they have to accept us as a member. The super 64 would never want to deal with this but cannot avoid it without being merely an agreeed upon collection of members of some other governing body (like the NCAA).

DrDos

Skimmer
Reaction Score
He left out one very important item which happens to be the sole reason why this hasn't yet been done.

Every University in the United States (possibly byond our borders as well) has the right to apply for membership in the NCAA (USF joined less than sixty years ago). The type of organization that the NCAA is cannot have the exclusivity that the group being proposed wants to have. The above group (if it were the organization itself, not a collection of members of the organization) would have to establish a reasonable set of membership criteria and offer membership to everyone who met the criteria and applied for membership.

The BCS can deny membership to schools or conferences who are every bit as deserving as members of the BCS. The ACC can deny membership to schools who are every bit as deserving as current members of the ACC. The NCAA has a set of criteria established and cannot deny membership to any school who meets it. The posters on the Boneyard can pool our money together, start Boneyard University and at some point, if we believe we have grown to the point where we can field athletic programs, petition the NCAA for membership and the have to tell us what we can and must do to qualify. Once we do this they have to accept us as a member. The super 64 would never want to deal with this but cannot avoid it without being merely an agreeed upon collection of members of some other governing body (like the NCAA).

► I'm confused. You CAN exclude (ACC and BCS) - but - you CAN'T exclude (NCAA). The NCAA choses to be an all encompsssing sports association. This is their
right. What legal standard prohibits Americans from organizing an exclusive association. What law? What legal principle?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
United States labor laws would never allow the Super64 to pay its players (above board). It would cost them too much in workman's comp, etc. Add in that their not-for-profit tax status would also been in jeopardy. They are not breaking away from the NCAA. At most they lobby hard for new FB subdivision, not sure how that would benefit the 64 though.

Reaction Score
United States labor laws would never allow the Super64 to pay its players (above board). It would cost them too much in workman's comp, etc. Add in that their not-for-profit tax status would also been in jeopardy. They are not breaking away from the NCAA. At most they lobby hard for new FB subdivision, not sure how that would benefit the 64 though.
Ding! Ding! Ding! The IRS strikes again! Thank God!

Reaction Score

I think we've reached this point. Boneyard U it is...

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
► I'm confused. You CAN exclude (ACC and BCS) - but - you CAN'T exclude (NCAA). The NCAA choses to be an all encompsssing sports association. This is their
right. What legal standard prohibits Americans from organizing an exclusive association. What law? What legal principle?

This is breaking new ground. State universities are taxpayer funded, yet the athletic departments of those institutions would essentially become "for-profit." You have to expect that they would be required to meet the standard of law for what tax status that puts them into, as well as the laws protecting their employee-students (a more appropriate description of who they are than "student-athlete" imo).

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Yep! History course: the Biography of Busty Heart and Michelle Jenneke!

I've audited that class three times already! ;)

Actually, that would be a fun way to get away from all of the melodrama that has now fully hit the board; come up with fun classes for Boneyard University and who would teach them. I'm already working on a couple in my mind...

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I've audited that class three times already! ;)

Actually, that would be a fun way to get away from all of the melodrama that has now fully hit the board; come up with fun classes for Boneyard University and who would teach them. I'm already working on a couple in my mind...
My first offering in the Boneyard U. School of Agriculture: Cultivation and Preparation of Various Indica and Sativa Strains

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
how high of a bac is needed to get into boneyard u?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
My first offering in the Boneyard U. School of Agriculture: Cultivation and Preparation of Various Indica and Sativa Strains

Fantastic course title. Sounds like a LOT of people here are qualified to teach that one, so I think you'll have a heck of a time narrowing it down to one professor...;)

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
was it my writing score on the sat?

The admissions board is currently hiring a professional to figure out what your answers were. There were a lot of "***" to replace and a lot of "////" to decipher. We feel confident that you achieved the minimum score required to be accepted, but we have no idea whether or not you are the worst student we ever let in....or the smartest... (instead of "A Beautiful Mind", think more like "A Beautiful Bottle of Whiskey")

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Funny thing is HFD probably isn't imbibing but just putting out writing in a form of stream of conscience similar to the manner Robin Williams would do in comedy.

HFD's fault, outside of the difficulty in always trying to decipher what he writes, is he thinks about each and every parameter in a topic, puts the various parameters into the many various combos they can be taken and spits it out to the rest of us. Instead of talking about 5 or ten scenarios like some of us do, he's hitting hundreds. Most of us are programmed to look at problems with a few ideas and explore them in detail. HFD hits "everything" with amazing speed even if he is careless at times. It isn't a "drunk mind" we should be ridiculing. It's our "sober minds" that can't process things as quickly as HFD that is the problem.

I hope HFD is using voice to typing in sending us stuff. I'm already feeling inadequate that I can't type as fast as he can think and type!

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
the admissions office gave me a dean juco application in case things dont work out. something about credits/bpa/sats and rabbits.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I think there could be a class on deciphering the writing of HFD. It'd be like a Shakespeare course in that you'd need Cliff Notes (do they still make those?) to get through it.

ENG 110: The Writings of HuskyFanDan

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I think there could be a class on deciphering the writing of HFD. It'd be like a Shakespeare course in that you'd need Cliff Notes (do they still make those?) to get through it.

ENG 110: The Writings of HuskyFanDan

Fantastic!

Day #1, First Lesson, HFD Shakespearean Literature:

"Thou hath not the **** where / to / hither / from / whence it #B1Gharder, do sayeth I!"

Does HFD intend to:
a) Change conferences
b) Kick someone in their stones
c) Wallpaper a run up the middle
d) All of the above
e) None of the above

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors