‘I love this guy:’ Gov. Ned Lamont discusses role in UConn’s hiring of Jim Mora (Mike Anthony) | The Boneyard

‘I love this guy:’ Gov. Ned Lamont discusses role in UConn’s hiring of Jim Mora (Mike Anthony)

Reaction Score

-> “I love this guy,” Lamont said Wednesday night, lending enthusiastic support not only to Mora, but to UConn’s latest attempt to regain traction as a relevant, competitive, football program.

Lamont and his chief of staff, Paul Mounds, were among approximately 10 people who took part in the interview and hiring process that was led by UConn athletic director David Benedict. Others included interim UConn president Andrew Agwunobi, Board of Trustees chair Dan Toscano, former chair Larry McHugh, donors, trustees and former player Mike Burton.

“Everyone just reinforced everything I had talked to him about,” Benedict said by phone Wednesday night. “He came away from all that Zooming knowing that this is a great place and people really care. And how impressive it is that when we've had the lack of success for the past decade, that you have all these really important people not over-doing it but all saying the same things about UConn and the desire for football to be successful? When you hear all that and also have the governor chime in, that’s impactful for sure.” <-

Reaction Score
-> “When you’re a champion for the team — it starts with the team, but you take that message around the state a little bit,” Lamont said. “I want people to be excited about UConn football. It’s not going to turn around over night, but every step in the right direction is a step in the right direction. Look, we don’t have a professional team in this state so I want UConn football to be a star.”

“When people think about Connecticut, I’ve got to say that UConn Huskies are on top of the list in many ways,” Lamont said. “We punch above our weight class, so to speak. Obviously basketball takes an enormous lead there. I think it casts a positive glow on the state. I want everyone to remember that UConn is one of the great public universities in the world. This is just one more aspect of it.” <-

Reaction Score
Set politics aside. It is great to have a Governor in our corner, that understands its importance to the state, and advocates for it. I see better days ahead.
It definitely helps he knows how to run a business and knows when and when not to apply those skills. This is 100% one of those times it comes in handy.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Lamont and his chief of staff, Paul Mounds, were among approximately 10 people who took part in the interview and hiring process that was led by UConn athletic director David Benedict. Others included interim UConn president Andrew Agwunobi, Board of Trustees chair Dan Toscano, former chair Larry McHugh, donors, trustees and former player Mike Burton.
Governor aside, I'm very glad to see that AD David Benedict has the Burton family in the mix as well... their support is definitely good to have!

Reaction Score
Governor aside, I'm very glad to see that AD David Benedict has the Burton family in the mix as well... their support is definitely good to have!
I mean.... the last time they weren't involved, it didn't go well.

Didn't they also push for RE 2.0?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom