Zymurg's 4th of July movie recommendations? | The Boneyard

Zymurg's 4th of July movie recommendations?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Many years and at least a few boards ago, I remember Zymurg posting some very good and different movie recommendations for the 4th of July. Any chance you have them saved, or can provide a few names that you recall? Thanks.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Don't remember Zymurg's recommendations, but this being the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg (July 1-3), the movie Gettysburg would seem appropriate.

Reaction Score
Yes....Gettysburg is long but well made. The story of the guys from Maine under Chamberlain who protect the flank on Little Round Top is great.

Reaction Score
crap; I just deleted a long list; here goes a 2nd try.
Starting with John Ford: "Drums Along the Mohawk" an early color film set in the Revolutionary War. The story covers events around the Battle of Oriskaney Falls. "Young Mr. Lincoln" with Henry Fonda in the title role is an excellent film. "The Grapes of Wrath" is IMO a great film. Based on Steinbeck's novel it covers the Dust Bowl through the Joad family's experiences. This is one of Fonda's greatest performances.

We should have some immigrant films; let me propose "Moscow on the Hudson". This features a fine performance by Robin Williams, a lot of laughs, and some solid emotional moments. "Yankee Doodle Dandy" has Jimmy Cagney starring in this biopic of George M. Cohan
who wrote: "Over There", "Give My Regards to Broadway", and "It's a Grand Old Flag." To quote Cohan" I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy...
born on the 4th of July..."

"Glory", the story of the 54th Mass in the Civil War, is definitely worth your time. Great cast, reasonably historically accurate, it has a subject matter which is still relevant. I recently bought "The Longest Day". If you can get the two disc set do it. The second disc is full of extras discussing the historical accuracy of the film. Zanuck used actual serving members of armed forces to recreate some scenes. It also has a multinational view point.

Since the musical is one of the key American contributions to culture, we need a representative . I am choosing "Oklahoma"; it has classic songs, a western setting, and is a fine picture.
We need some sports films. John Sayle's "Eight men Out" is underrated. It is the story of the 1919 Black Sox Scandal. On a happier note: how about "Rocky". Remember among things about this film that Creed Balboa #1 was fought on the 4th. "Born on the 4th of July" is an excellent film by Oliver Stone.

"All the President's Men" is either an uplifting or depressing film about American politics depending on your viewpoint. Enough for now, all these films are worth viewing on days other than the 4th of July.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Great list. I believe the only one I've seen, other than Rocky, is Yankee Doodle Dandy. If anyone's interested, it's on The Movie Channel today, at 5:30 pm.

I am going to check Netflix to see if any of your other recommendations are available.

crap; I just deleted a long list; here goes a 2nd try.
Starting with John Ford: "Drums Along the Mohawk" an early color film set in the Revolutionary War. The story covers events around the Battle of Oriskaney Falls. "Young Mr. Lincoln" with Henry Fonda in the title role is an excellent film. "The Grapes of Wrath" is IMO a great film. Based on Steinbeck's novel it covers the Dust Bowl through the Joad family's experiences. This is one of Fonda's greatest performances.

We should have some immigrant films; let me propose "Moscow on the Hudson". This features a fine performance by Robin Williams, a lot of laughs, and some solid emotional moments. "Yankee Doodle Dandy" has Jimmy Cagney starring in this biopic of George M. Cohan
who wrote: "Over There", "Give My Regards to Broadway", and "It's a Grand Old Flag." To quote Cohan" I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy...
born on the 4th of July..."

"Glory", the story of the 54th Mass in the Civil War, is definitely worth your time. Great cast, reasonably historically accurate, it has a subject matter which is still relevant. I recently bought "The Longest Day". If you can get the two disc set do it. The second disc is full of extras discussing the historical accuracy of the film. Zanuck used actual serving members of armed forces to recreate some scenes. It also has a multinational view point.

Since the musical is one of the key American contributions to culture, we need a representative . I am choosing "Oklahoma"; it has classic songs, a western setting, and is a fine picture.
We need some sports films. John Sayle's "Eight men Out" is underrated. It is the story of the 1919 Black Sox Scandal. On a happier note: how about "Rocky". Remember among things about this film that Creed Balboa #1 was fought on the 4th. "Born on the 4th of July" is an excellent film by Oliver Stone.

"All the President's Men" is either an uplifting or depressing film about American politics depending on your viewpoint. Enough for now, all these films are worth viewing on days other than the 4th of July.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I plan on watching God's and Generals on blue ray tonight.

Today (this July 4 specifically) should be held in a bit more regard as it is 150th anniversary of both the completion of the bloodiest three days in American warfare (Gettysburg) and the completion of the Siege of Vicksburg, the two events that ended any possibility the South had at winning the Civil War. It is sad that so few people fully realize the importance that July 4 1863 holds in US history.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Thanks, Zymurg. Great recs. I appreciate you taking the time.

Will set the DVR for Yankee Doodle Dandy, so thanks for that, too, Tom.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom