Zone on the play Dawkins hit a 3 | The Boneyard

Zone on the play Dawkins hit a 3

Reaction Score
That was a very stupid call. No reason at all for us to go zone right there. It burned us BAD.

Reaction Score
I'm cool with us playing some zone sometimes, because we dont have alot of bodies. That was not the time to play it right there AT ALL.

Reaction Score
I’ll probably get backlash for this, but DH’s on the fly coaching has been somewhat underwhelming, in my opinion. Our team
doesn’t have the IQ or awareness, it seems, to change up defenses quick, but we also definitely do not have the length to play zone, especially in clutch moments. I agree, bad call there.

Reaction Score
Was more that Adams got caught drifting down when Taylor penetrated and ended up in no mans land. Undisciplined mistake, happens with freshmen...esp those that don’t play much.
This is exactly correct.

Reaction Score
Yup, zone collapsed a bit too much.

Bigger beef of mine are the worthless fouls we seem to commit off the ball or while guarding a driving player

Reaction Score
We went zone and immediately allowed a PG to penetrate the top of the zone into the middle of the key. Then we over collapsed.

Not Hurley’s fault at all.

Reaction Score
That wasnt a good drive and kick. It was a gimme play. Adams did mess up. We was doing fine man to man there for a minute. Why change it? We changed it, and immediately broke down.

Reaction Score
It was not a bad call by coach at all. The execution by the team was poor. It happens--they're young and this is a rebuild year.

Reaction Score
Fouls were piling up, and we were not containing penetration in the man to man.

This. It didn't work. But playing man we needed them to make an execution mistake, and we were losing all our big men to fouls. It certainly wasn't stupid.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Dawkins wasn’t a scoring threat all game. I’m ok with Hurley forcing him to shoot
you don't wake a sleeping weapon - basic Coaching 101
DH made a mistake - no big deal
He will probably rethink it during film sessions - I hope

C

Chief00

Chief is not a big fan of zones - if you do it briefly to give your opponent another look for a few minutes ok - but never at a key point.

Reaction Score
This. It didn't work. But playing man we needed them to make an execution mistake, and we were losing all our big men to fouls. It certainly wasn't stupid.

We should play a little more zone especially in the first half, in my opinion. We foul way too much and it seems that every game a lot of our main guys have 2 fouls before halftime and we put the opponent in the bonus in the first 10-12 minutes.

Reaction Score
Chief is not a big fan of zones - if you do it briefly to give your opponent another look for a few minutes ok - but never at a key point.

Alternatively, from the Nets/Spurs game the same night
[Kenny Atkinson] On final shot:

"Pop went zone. It was a good move by him. We obviously had a man-to-man play, so good job by him. Shabazz went for it. He took the shot and it didn’t go our way."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom