Zone offense.. 5th post | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Zone offense.. 5th post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
U don't necessarily shoot out of a 2-3 zone that's a misnomer.. U also don't dribble out or around. 2-3 zone. ... The wing isn't where u attach a zone .. Losing te ball in the wrong place isn't a player issue. Put gif on the foul line- swing the ball and make an entry pass and that's how u beat a zone.. 15 footers ..

Agreed and Dawkins took away our 15-19 footers by spreading the bigs out which in turn allowed for some seams for the wings.....but none of Calhoun (he's awful right now), DD or Giff can attack a seam with the dribble and that hurts big time! That weakness was front and center for all to see tonight and it was just a matter of time!

Reaction Score
Well then I except the job for free and I will teach him how to run a zone offense with in my opinion perfect personal for an effective zone offense

No you won't unless you get slashers and mid range guys......find them for me on that team?

I appreciate that you may know how, hell I do, but that particular talent does not make it easy.....not taking some blame from KO and the stafff but that's not a good zone attack team......it's actually not very good at all unless they're all making shots which obviously wasn't the case.

Reaction Score
No matter bfair has it right, they needed to do something different.....the 4-5-6 passes along the top then force one was really ugly.......

A dukie out coached a husky!!

Ten Toes In though - have to bounce back somehow!

2 real badly scheduled games though I think Washington is much more talented than Stanford so beware!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
No you won't unless you get slashers and mid range guys......find them for me on that team?

I appreciate that you may know how, hell I do, but that particular talent does not make it easy.....not taking some blame from KO and the stafff but that's not a good zone attack team......it's actually not very good at all unless they're all making shots which obviously wasn't the case.

Let it not be lost that the guys were just doing dumb . They jacked up countless bad shots for no apparent reason.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Team that relies on perimeter shooting, after a third of a season being a phenomenal shooting team had a severe regression to the mean tonight, particularly in the second half. Mostly because they didn't penetrate (which would have drawn fouls as well). Bazz, Boat and LK have decent enough handles and NG and DD should be on the receiving end of inside out passes (didn't happen tonight). I don't know why OC's handle hasn't improved but he is a turnover waiting to happen if he has the ball in a crowd. Rough game...on a positive note, this team needed to have it bubble burst a bit. The media hype was a bit over the top and doesn't reflect what either Bazz or the team has accomplished so far. A bad loss like this can be a great teaching opportunity...hope the young colts will listen

Reaction Score
Let it not be lost that the guys were just doing dumb . They jacked up countless bad shots for no apparent reason.

My only true criticism of KO is that I think he lets the guys "play" too much. I'm not advocating for JCs immediate hook, but KO lets our players do consistent dumb things with no obvious repercussions. Yeah, I get they are our three best players. But there's no way JC would have allowed Boat to blow a 3 on 1 fastbreak by overdribbling; which Boat does EVERY game or allow DD/Omar to be such black holes or agree with the always shaky shot selection by Bazz.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Last night sucked but I thought Ollie has improved our half court offense including against a zone. Crappy game but our problem remains that we have no front court.
How about moving DD to the 3 (where we get little) and giving Facey some minutes at the 4?

Reaction Score
Bfair is right. While we don't have a lot of slashers, I think Giffey, Kromah and Calhoun could all do more cutting to the foul line for short jumpers. I mentioned in a post a couple weeks ago that this team needs that. I recalled how Jamal Coombs-McDaniel had his best games at UConn cutting to the free throw line and opening things up. Giffey and Kromah can definitely do it and a few short jumpers might get OC going too. You beat a zone by shooting over it or breaking into it. If we can't get scoring down low, let's get it from the elbow.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This team has penty of slashers, but they kept trying to drive in from the three point line. We need passes and quick cuts against the zone. Isolations don't work.

Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said:
This team has penty of slashers, but they kept trying to drive in from the three point line. We need passes and quick cuts against the zone. Isolations don't work.

I think he meant really good, larger slashers, like Daniel Hamilton. I agree, we have adequate slashers with good size in Giffey and Kromah. They need to play and they need to take 8-15 foot jumpers consistently to open things up.

Reaction Score
U don't necessarily shoot out of a 2-3 zone that's a misnomer.. U also don't dribble out or around. 2-3 zone. ... The wing isn't where u attach a zone .. Losing te ball in the wrong place isn't a player issue. Put gif on the foul line- swing the ball and make an entry pass and that's how u beat a zone.. 15 footers ..

This. You beat a zone from the foul line and the short corner. I'm not sure I saw the ball go to either spot any time in the second half. You can ball screen a zone to get dribble penetration to the foul line if the guards are extended, but Stamford wasn't doing that -- they relied on their size to get on the outside shooters.

Reaction Score
That's totally wrong.......their biggest issue is the limitations which DD and Giff have - they can't take anyone off the dribble and proved it tonight. How many times did you see DD or Giffey try to take anyone from the wing or port? NONE, they can't and when DD did he lost the dribble......that is why they won't be good. You just play the 3 on those 2 and stay wide you win! They put all that size out there and everyone struggled - it's going to happen alot more now and if you don't dhoot 50-60% from 3 what do you do?

We didn't shoot well from outside because we were taking contested shots. We were taking contested shots because the ball never got the middle of the zone to cause it to collapse. The size, particularly in the backcourt, was a huge problem for us.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
If anyone disagrees then I'm sorry that you don't understand d baskettball
KO obviously disagrees with your offensive philosophy; you're literally claiming KO doesn't understand basketball here.

lmao, the dipsh-ts we have on this forum....

Reaction Score
Every zone is different.......Not everyone can play that stretched zone that Stanford played last night, not everyone is that long.........If you remember when Wilkeben went out Florida did the same, it gave us fits and we got lucky......if you watched there were seams from the wing but we need to hit them fast and hard, they didn't.......I have no issue with a guy at the high post too but they had size guarding the post - best shots last night were 10-15 footers off the wing seam.......our guys never found them..........mainly because they can't handle the ball!!

Not everyone is right and I am not contending I am but l am sure none of are as smart as KO, Miller, Hobbsie or Ricky so let's not tell everyone we can walk out there and coach them into being a better zone tram because that's ridiculous. If anyone could they wouldn't be submitting posts on the BY contending they have the answer!

The answer was as simple as going 7 for 31 rather than 5 of 31!!:oops:

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
No matter bfair has it right, they needed to do something different.....the 4-5-6 passes along the top then force one was really ugly.......

I didn't get the chance to see the horrid second half until tonight.

In addition to not penetrating with the passes, DD, Bazz and Boat insisted on taking 3-4 dribbles before making each pass, so the zone essentially didn't have to move at all. This was the polar opposite of the penetrate and kick offense and precision rapid passing that we saw in the good stretches of the Maryland game. This also result in a glacial tempo.

Coach Knight also had other very good insight about what they were doing wrong. For example, he said that on six possessions in the first ten minutes of the 2nd half UConn had the ball at point blank range inside and couldn't finish (e.g. Nolan missed turnaround from 8 feet (close but no cigar)... TO passes up an open 10 foot jumper to throw a wild hook shot far over the basket from 5 feet... Boat misses the challenged layup on the break... Bazz makes a nifty looking pass to AB 5 feet from the hoop but most have forgotten that it was AB, who at this point in his career has no clue how to finish from 5 feet with a defender in front of him).

Bazz had a really horrible mental game. He made several ill-advise passes, took multiple. Sport Center highlight seeking, very high level of difficulty shots in the normal flow of the game and I think his poor decision-making was contagious. On one play he made a hard drive and got almost under the basket but had one Stanford defender in front of him. AB was available for a dropoff pass and a dunk, but Bazz didn't trust him so contorted and twisted his body in an attempt to throw up a circus shot that missed badly.

In hindsight, seeing how big and slow Stanford was and how much UConn was struggling against the zone, we needed to really break open the tempo. An aggressive full court press and attacking hard on the fast break would likely have been a much better approach. Instead, we gave up on attacking the zone after seeing the multiple failures inside and started jacking threes. UGGGH. Hope we snap out if for the other Huskies.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bazz is human as we saw and you are correct Harry, not in just the fact he didn't shoot the ball well which is okay, his decision making was not very good at all and he was careless........not a good game for him or basically the whole team.

NEXT.........let's see how they bounce back Sunday really interesting test of character early in the year!

Reaction Score
Uptempo the game and the zone becomes far less of a factor. Run every chance you get. We have the depth and athletes to do it. We rarely lose when the score gets into the 70's. Its the rock fights which we lose a fair percentage of the time.

Reaction Score
For years out zone offense has been a joke. I have posted my dismay many many times. I am sick of screaming on the ball and I'm sick of our spacing and I'm sick of our inability to attack the middle or overload the low wing defender. Gif should sit on the elbow and we would be able to turn and shoot , kick out , drive, dump down and so on.

Kevin ... I am begging you please stop screening on the ball and run a baseline player and overload and attach the two top defenders and kick .. Z

I can't stand watching it . If anyone disagrees then I'm sorry that you don't understand d baskettball

There shoudl be a dry erase board function on this website so the Bonetard coaches could explain how basketball works to cavemen like me.

We've been running a a 3 out/2 in offense against the zone since forever. Folks should just insert the following into their signature line so they can save the time it takes to type every time we lose to a team playing a 2-3 zone: "It's like the guards just pass the ball around the perimeter while the bigs do nothing under the basket."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom