Zone offense.. 5th post | The Boneyard

Zone offense.. 5th post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For years out zone offense has been a joke. I have posted my dismay many many times. I am sick of screaming on the ball and I'm sick of our spacing and I'm sick of our inability to attack the middle or overload the low wing defender. Gif should sit on the elbow and we would be able to turn and shoot , kick out , drive, dump down and so on.

Kevin ... I am begging you please stop screening on the ball and run a baseline player and overload and attach the two top defenders and kick .. Z

I can't stand watching it . If anyone disagrees then I'm sorry that you don't understand d baskettball

pj

Reaction Score
It's early in the season. They'll work on the zone. That's the benefit of these games, they expose weaknesses.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
It was like we purposely lost the game.

I wouldn't take too much from that, but I will say that I haven't seen such bad basketball from a UConn team in years. That was PATHETIC. And while I love Ollie, wow man, I have no words...

Reaction Score
It was the worst half of basketball I've seen (and hope to see) all year. As soon as they switched to the zone it looked like we were a high school team out there. KO better put in overtime with them to fix it otherwise teams will burn us with it all year like they did a few seasons back.

With that, I will be taking a boneyard break until after the next game to shield my eyes from the inevitable 'this team sucks' and 'the world is burning' posts.

Reaction Score
I with our back court and mobility and shooting we have in our 3 and 4 spots and lack of rebounding when we see a zone we should be foaming at the mouth..

Do not screen in ball vs a zone it removes our ability to overload and rebound. Bobby knight almost puked watching our god damn zone offense

Reaction Score
I with our back court and mobility and shooting we have in our 3 and 4 spots and lack of rebounding when we see a zone we should be foaming at the mouth..

Do not screen in ball vs a zone it removes our ability to overload and rebound. Bobby knight almost puked watching our god damn zone offense
and I almost puked listening to his analysis

DD should be able to carve up the zone by flashing to the foul line.

Reaction Score
Our team can only do what the coaching staff has as the game plan. If we don't get dd or gif the ball on the elbow everytime down the court vs a zone then the coach lost that game. Last year bazz even flashed the high post and scored in that zone soft spot.

Reaction Score

Agreed w dd but do hate on saint bobby is my idol

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
That was awful. It's not like Bazz, Boat, Giffey, et.al. haven't played Syracuse before. And this Stanford team is worse than any recent Cuse team. Where were the corner snipers in the second half?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

DD was too lazy, like everyone else, to even move in the offensive end.

Reaction Score
Our team can only do what the coaching staff has as the game plan. If we don't get dd or gif the ball on the elbow everytime down the court vs a zone then the coach lost that game. Last year bazz even flashed the high post and scored in that zone soft spot.

That's totally wrong.......their biggest issue is the limitations which DD and Giff have - they can't take anyone off the dribble and proved it tonight. How many times did you see DD or Giffey try to take anyone from the wing or port? NONE, they can't and when DD did he lost the dribble......that is why they won't be good. You just play the 3 on those 2 and stay wide you win! They put all that size out there and everyone struggled - it's going to happen alot more now and if you don't dhoot 50-60% from 3 what do you do?

Reaction Score
Anyway.. Losses happen but we will see a lot of zone going forward and Kevin needs to watch Michigan and wisc and fl st on how to attach a zone and even brey from nd has good sets..

Its the leader not the soldier

Reaction Score
It was the worst half of basketball I've seen (and hope to see) all year. As soon as they switched to the zone it looked like we were a high school team out there. KO better put in overtime with them to fix it otherwise teams will burn us with it all year like they did a few seasons back.

With that, I will be taking a boneyard break until after the next game to shield my eyes from the inevitable 'this team sucks' and 'the world is burning' posts.
World ain't burnin' but with the close wins we need to shield ourselves from our #10 ranking where we think we are better than we are. I don 't have the rebound totals so I won't comment on that but Knight did point out we had 6 or 7 close to the the basket attempts with no success. The fact that we can't go to the post offensively basically means opponents can put 4 players on our 2 ballhandling guards.

Reaction Score
That's totally wrong.......their biggest issue is the limitations which DD and Giff have - they can't take anyone off the dribble and proved it tonight. How many times did you see DD or Giffey try to take anyone from the wing or port? NONE, they can't and when DD did he lost the dribble......that is why they won't be good. You just play the 3 on those 2 and stay wide you win! They put all that size out there and everyone struggled - it's going to happen alot more now and if you don't dhoot 50-60% from 3 what do you do?
U don't necessarily shoot out of a 2-3 zone that's a misnomer.. U also don't dribble out or around. 2-3 zone. ... The wing isn't where u attach a zone .. Losing te ball in the wrong place isn't a player issue. Put gif on the foul line- swing the ball and make an entry pass and that's how u beat a zone.. 15 footers ..

Reaction Score

With that, I will be taking a boneyard break until after the next game to shield my eyes from the inevitable 'this team sucks' and 'the world is burning' posts.[/quot

I wouldn't take too much from that, but I will say that I haven't seen such bad basketball from a UConn team in years. That was PATHETIC. And while I love Ollie, wow man, I have no words...

They don't look like a top 10 team. very bad 2nd half. Look more like a 22 place team to me. Nolan is pathetic.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Every year people say "they'll work on it and improve" and it rarely actually happens. But keep on selling that bill o goods!

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Every year people say "they'll work on it and improve" and it rarely actually happens. But keep on selling that bill o goods!

Yeah like when they said that gangly Lamb kid would start playing well.

Of course it happens.

Reaction Score
Anyway Kevin if ur gonna screen the ball screen on the outside away from. The middle and this allows a swing pass or a foul line entry with numbers on the strong side. Stop screaming on the ball to the middle and allowing 1 guy to cover 3 it's absurd and nonsensical. Put a flasher on the elbow and get the ball to him . He turns and has 4 options ... Attach the middle and draw the low center up or a guard collapse and kick out or draw a wing defender on and utilize a baseline flasher to overload .. All I saw was us allowing defenders to cover 2 of our players at once. It's gross and I promise u we will lose every game which a decent team plays zone vs is..

Ko fix it

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
nomar said:
Yeah like when they said that gangly Lamb kid would start playing well. Of course it happens.

They hit one three in that final four. I'll take the result, but they hardly figured out the zone.

The SU game they did- flash Olander to the FT line and swing it into the corner.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
KO really isn't an X's and O's coach. He's young and needs to improve on it, but right now its really obvious. He lets the players play and sometimes it backfires.

But he does call good out of TO plays...except for this game.

Reaction Score
3 years ago I watched blaney put AO at the foul line vs cuse at the cuse and I almost hung myself. The. He put Drummond there and we lost bc scoe or lamb should have been there ..

It's coaching

Reaction Score
Well then I except the job for free and I will teach him how to run a zone offense with in my opinion perfect personal for an effective zone offense

Reaction Score
just don't get the double screen at the top of the key. it's a zone, no one's going to be switching. we had no one at the foul line, no interior passing, no attacking gaps. just the guards passing back and forth taking turns taking long 3's. pathetic setup, pathetic execution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom