Zone defense/Adjustments | The Boneyard

Zone defense/Adjustments

Reaction Score
I give our guys a ton of credit. It was very clear their conditioning was not close to 100%. They gave an incredible effort and this would have been quite a surprising win.

Their Coach owes them an apology. To not make any adjustment when Richmond was going off is unacceptable. How bout switching to a zone when it was clear Cole was gassed in OT?? We were getting abused in D the entire 2nd half and he didn’t do one dam thing about it. That’s coaching malpractice. Never mind his “play” calling at the end of the game. I’m sick of seeing us lose games because our coach is outsmarted by the other guy and is stubborn as a mule. Newsflash Danny: it ain’t working.

Reaction Score
Play MM but go when the to zone and peel out one at a time as necessary to stop hot hand . Box and 1 Triangle and 2 Two man zone 3 MM

Reaction Score
It’s the same thing as not calling timeouts sometimes when the other team is on a run. It’s stubbornness. We got this. We don’t adjust to them, they have to adjust to us mentality that is good for rah rah team stuff but not good for winning close games.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I give our guys a ton of credit. It was very clear their conditioning was not close to 100%. They gave an incredible effort and this would have been quite a surprising win.

Their Coach owes them an apology. To not make any adjustment when Richmond was going off is unacceptable. How bout switching to a zone when it was clear Cole was gassed in OT?? We were getting abused in D the entire 2nd half and he didn’t do one dam thing about it. That’s coaching malpractice. Never mind his “play” calling at the end of the game. I’m sick of seeing us lose games because our coach is outsmarted by the other guy and is stubborn as a mule. Newsflash Danny: it ain’t working.
To say Hurley owes them an apology is a little over the top. Yes he could have adjusted (face guard or double team him), but I don’t think we even practice the zone.

4 different seniors (3 of them 5th year guys) got burned by a true sophomore bench player. Could have been the conditioning, but no one stepped up to stop him or take him out of the rhythm.

Plenty of blame to go around for letting Richmond drop 17 straight. But I also think he was just feeling it where he would have hit his shots with all 5 guys on him.

Reaction Score
Isn't there a school of thought that says it is less than manly to go zone? I believe Mr. Calhoun subscribed to that belief. Hurley made some comment about three great perimeter shooters being on the floor at the time that Richmond went off leading one to believe he didn't want to give up a three. The one time they did double him Richmond threw a hard pass off a teammate's chest leading to a turnover.

Reaction Score
To say Hurley owes them an apology is a little over the top. Yes he could have adjusted (face guard or double team him), but I don’t think we even practice the zone.

4 different seniors (3 of them 5th year guys) got burned by a true sophomore bench player. Could have been the conditioning, but no one stepped up to stop him or take him out of the rhythm.

Plenty of blame to go around for letting Richmond drop 17 straight. But I also think he was just feeling it where he would have hit his shots with all 5 guys on him.
Watching Richmond with 20+ dribbles and slow motion backing down the above players with no adjustment is beyond belief. It wasn't like Richmond was hitting 3 pointers on the fly. It was slow motion layups and we didn't figure it out even after Vill did it to us on year ago. Sad.

Reaction Score
We shouldn’t have to play zone with the athletes we have. The guys have to be tougher in 1 v 1 post D. Hopefully the struggles last game were due to fatigue from the layoff.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
We shouldn’t have to play zone with the athletes we have. The guys have to be tougher in 1 v 1 post D. Hopefully the struggles last game were due to fatigue from the layoff.
Just because you have athletes doesn't mean you can't switch things up.
Alabama football has man for man unbelievable athletes but do the play the same scheme all game on defense? Even all the NBA teams switch between man to man and zone on a consistent basis.
It doesn't mean you have to go full Cuse but for crying out loud DH, have some different arrows in your defensive arsenal. Not even going to talk Calhoun (who despised the zone) with DH - DH has to win the NBE conference to get any damn respect at minimum

Reaction Score

If we don’t even practice a zone then that is complete coaching malpractice. You have to have something to go to when what you are doing is CLEARLY not working. Otherwise you are just a stubborn idiot.,

Reaction Score
zone is still dumb and makes no sense to do it just to do it.

But C'mon, after he scored like 20 strait we ran a double at him one time and he turned it over and his reign of terror was over. Rather do that after - i don't know - 6 points instead of 20.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I believe we should learn to play zone. Playing man all the time is too predictable. I think it's good to go zone every once in a while just to show a different look, even if it's only 5 or 6 possessions a game. Possibly a good way to slow down a streaking team or protecting Sanogo if need be.

Reaction Score
I hate any half court zone defense. Makes for lazy players. Unbelievable how many youth so called coaches have their teams play zone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom