Zags v. Tn. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Zags v. Tn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Gosh there is a boatload of very mediocre teams in this Sweet Sixteen, including both of these!

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Gosh there is a boatload of very mediocre teams in this Sweet Sixteen, including both of these!

Well if you are a fan of uconn and you beat a team in the sweet sixteen by 51 points, then I guess it is hard to find any other team in the tourney worthy...uconn is just so impressive. How they lost to Stanford amazes me.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Ha... I didnt even realize it was 17 points... i went to pick up some dinner and checked my phone and it was 61-50 i think... i was like... dag... its gonna be Zaga vs MD monday night.. i got on the interstate headed home... checked it again... and TN had the lead. Figured id better get off the highway onto a slower paced road... and i was watching the game on my phone while driving the last few miles home. Lucky it went to overtime and i saw the end of the game safely at home.

Haha I did the same thing last night when I checked the usc jr and Carolina score. I was on the interstate and pulled off at a rest area to watch the final few minutes on the watch ESPN app

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Wow! What a game...just watched it off of Tivo.

Tennessee looked awful most of the game, but you have to hand it to them....they played with a lot of grit/heart at the end there. Even though Gonzaga was an 11 seed, they played very well most of the game and it was a home game for them. Incredible focus to come back from 17 down and take the lead, then eventually win it in overtime. Yes, Nared traveled and the refs missed it. One call doesn't make a game, Gonzaga had a 17 point lead, missed 1 and 1s and failed to execute down the stretch. Tennessee executed, took advantage of opportunities and finished strong. You can't blame this on the refs for this one.

Burdick is going to be the toughest player for Tennessee to replace. She rebounds really well, can be physical inside and has a good face up jumper. I think she could carve out a nice career for herself in the W. Obviously, getting back DeShields/Russell will help immensely but this season Burdick has been a the type of glue player that will need to be replaced.

I thought Nared looked good tonight. I think she'll be a solid replacement for Burdick next year, in combination with Jasmine Jones. Massengale's shooting/experience will need to be replaced, but with Carter and Reynolds back I think they'll be fine. Next season they'll have three point threats in Nared, Reynolds, Carter, Cooper and DeShields--not to mention Middleton who will hopefully be stronger next year.

Going into the Maryland game....I really hope Holly and Co. can breakthrough for the program's first Final Four since 2008. It will also be the first time Tennessee beats a top 3 seed since 2008 if they can win. I think Maryland will win and they are the heavy favorite with outstanding guard play and a big physical post in Jones. Tennessee will need a better game from Graves and better outside shooting from Massengale/Carter. It will be a tall order, but Tennessee is also the toughest team that Maryland will have faced this season besides Notre Dame. If Tennessee's offense delivers, I think they have a shot to win the game.

That said, I almost hope they lose so they do not have to face UCONN. Connecticut looked unreal today. UCONN's offense creates great looks every single time down which leads to their ridiculous efficiency. On the flip side, they have the nation's best defense with unbelievable length in the post and great quickness on the perimeter. I thought Texas looked good against Cal and was interested to see how McGee-Stafford would match up against UCONN since she has been outstanding and is a big smooth post. She was shut down and UCONN had their way in the paint. I also believe Texas is a better team than Tennessee at this point, so after seeing Texas get obliterated by 51, I am scared for Tennessee to have to face UCONN if they win.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Haha I did the same thing last night when I checked the usc jr and Carolina score. I was on the interstate and pulled off at a rest area to watch the final few minutes on the watch ESPN app

"Jr" will take care of you on the football field in a few months, too.

Reaction Score

Tennessee looked awful most of the game, but you have to hand it to them....they played with a lot of grit/heart at the end there. Even though Gonzaga was an 11 seed, they played very well most of the game and it was a home game for them. Incredible focus to come back from 17 down and take the lead, then eventually win it in overtime. Yes, Nared traveled and the refs missed it. One call doesn't make a game, Gonzaga had a 17 point lead, missed 1 and 1s and failed to execute down the stretch. Tennessee executed, took advantage of opportunities and finished strong. You can't blame this on the refs for this one.

Burdick is going to be the toughest player for Tennessee to replace. She rebounds really well, can be physical inside and has a good face up jumper. I think she could carve out a nice career for herself in the W. Obviously, getting back DeShields/Russell will help immensely but this season Burdick has been a the type of glue player that will need to be replaced.

I thought Nared looked good tonight. I think she'll be a solid replacement for Burdick next year, in combination with Jasmine Jones. Massengale's shooting/experience will need to be replaced, but with Carter and Reynolds back I think they'll be fine. Next season they'll have three point threats in Nared, Reynolds, Carter, Cooper and DeShields--not to mention Middleton who will hopefully be stronger next year.

Going into the Maryland game....I really hope Holly and Co. can breakthrough for the program's first Final Four since 2008. It will also be the first time Tennessee beats a top 3 seed since 2008 if they can win. I think Maryland will win and they are the heavy favorite with outstanding guard play and a big physical post in Jones. Tennessee will need a better game from Graves and better outside shooting from Massengale/Carter. It will be a tall order, but Tennessee is also the toughest team that Maryland will have faced this season besides Notre Dame. If Tennessee's offense delivers, I think they have a shot to win the game.

That said, I almost hope they lose so they do not have to face UCONN. Connecticut looked unreal today. UCONN's offense creates great looks every single time down which leads to their ridiculous efficiency. On the flip side, they have the nation's best defense with unbelievable length in the post and great quickness on the perimeter. I thought Texas looked good against Cal and was interested to see how McGee-Stafford would match up against UCONN since she has been outstanding and is a big smooth post. She was shut down and UCONN had their way in the paint. I also believe Texas is a better team than Tennessee at this point, so after seeing Texas get obliterated by 51, I am scared for Tennessee to have to face UCONN if they win.

I am glad for the Tennessee fans that they were able to come back from such a deficit....... yeah and next year what a great start they have in Mercedes and Diamond...... work on getting more production from the coaching staff......I don't think the brain trust is on the whole keeping up with everyone else in WCBB..... Good Luck on Monday

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
I am glad for the Tennessee fans that they were able to come back from such a deficit.. yeah and next year what a great start they have in Mercedes and Diamond. work on getting more production from the coaching staff.I don't think the brain trust is on the whole keeping up with everyone else in WCBB..... Good Luck on Monday

Well, Holly has improved in wins every season she has been HC (27, 29, 30), improved in losses (8, 6, 5), two Elite Eights, one Sweet 16, one SEC Regular Season Championship, one Tournament Championship, one Co-Regular Season Championship. She's done more in the last three years than anyone not named Geno, Muffett, Tara, Kim or Jeff.

Besides, I thought the point of the game was to win. Doesn't matter how, winning is what matters in a basketball game. She seems to be keeping up just fine.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score

Tennessee making the final four will be an important accomplishment for them, whether they play uconn or not. I think the seniors want it as kind of a tribute to coach pat summit. Ya it's possible and probable that we get beat by 30 plus but there is also that chance we make it a competitive game.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Tennessee making the final four will be an important accomplishment for them, whether they play uconn or not. I think the seniors want it as kind of a tribute to coach pat summit. Ya it's possible and probable that we get beat by 30 plus but there is also that chance we make it a competitive game.

I agree 100%. Getting back to the Final Four would be huge for Holly and the program. A great way to lead into next season with DeShields/Russell playing and a great way to close out careers for Massengale/Burdick. I just don't want to read this board during/after the UCONN-Tennessee game though since it wont be pretty. And I don't see Geno taking his foot off the gas pedal the entire night.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
If we get to Tampa, I will be shocked if we keep the game within 20. I expect repeat of 2000 in Philadelphia or 2002 in San Antonio.

It won't be pretty, and MANY Tennessee fans know that. I don't care if we lose by 80, getting back to the Final Four is what is important this year. It's the next step.

Reaction Score
I thought this was hilarious. Lmao We Should have never been down this much against Gonzaga, but my gosh that was a remarkable comeback.

Attachments

• attachment.jpeg
    attachment.jpeg
    25.6 KB · Views: 71

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I agree 100%. Getting back to the Final Four would be huge for Holly and the program. A great way to lead into next season with DeShields/Russell playing and a great way to close out careers for Massengale/Burdick. I just don't want to read this board during/after the UCONN-Tennessee game though since it wont be pretty. And I don't see Geno taking his foot off the gas pedal the entire night.

I guess I would add Harrison to the list of seniors who will be closing out their careers.

Reaction Score
Agreed with the prevailing thought ..... getting to the Final 4...no matter what happens after that, will be an important building block to the Tennessee program..... it has been a while..... and the Final 4 is indeed an important step...... it would also say something good for the SEC, a conference praised by many within it, yet criticized by many outside it......

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Anyone besides me get a Maggie Dixon flashback when they see Lisa Fortier? Gave me a chill....

dixon_fortier.jpg

Yes but I'm having a different flashback. Both women look amazingly like a former girlfriend of mine when I lived in Boston. :rolleyes:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Gotta wonder what was going through the Zag coaches minds during Tenns run. How bout a time out? How bout don't pick up your dribble? How bout getting the ball into the middle of the floor? How bout getting the ball down low to the bigs? How bout taking it at the Tenn players I think it was Massingale and Graves who had 4 fouls? Wow did I leave anything out. I feel bad for the Zags but the folded in front of their fans which is very difficult to take Im sure. It had to be a nite mare for them.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Gotta wonder what was going through the Zag coaches minds during Tenns run.

First year as a head coach in her career. Part of the learning curve. I suspect/hope that if ever faced with something like in the future, she'll react better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom