Zags reports Drummond will return for sophomore year | The Boneyard

Zags reports Drummond will return for sophomore year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If true, that would certainly lift my spirits. Now he just needs to persuade Lamb as well. I don't have high hopes for this team being a championship contender this year, but next year we will be downright dangerous if everyone comes back.

Reaction Score
This is a verbally binding contract right? He can't change his mind now? :)

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
As a UConn fan I'd be extremely happy if that actually happened.

That being that said, people, especially 18 year old college kids, say a lot of things in the heat of the moment after losses, so I wouldn't put a lot of stock in anything he is saying right after that bad loss.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Lamb's the one who needs another year. His ballhandling lately has been very poor. You don't account for as many turnovers as he has without handle issues (especially when you're not even making passes like your PG is)

He also needs to learn to deal with a screen.

Reaction Score
Would be excellent news. I'll worry about that stuff after the season, especially with Drummond.

Reaction Score
Well, at least to this point, Drummond has maintained that he wants to be here next year. He could definitely use an extra year in college, but the money will be tough to turn down as a likely top five pick.

Reaction Score
None of these guys are ready for the NBA yet not even Lamb yet, Drummond may go high in the draft but would have limited minutes next year if he were to enter the draft, hopefully that report is true he could use another year.

Reaction Score
Lamb's the one who needs another year. His ballhandling lately has been very poor. You don't account for as many turnovers as he has without handle issues (especially when you're not even making passes like your PG is)

He also needs to learn to deal with a screen.

I'm more concerned about his defense. Not sure if I'm the only one who has noticed a huge regression in his defense from the end of last sesaon.

Reaction Score
It's still very early and he can certainly change his mind (in fact, I probably expect him to change his mind), but the thought of Drummond in a UConn uniform for a second year is tantalizing. Scary to think of how dominant he can be with another year of coaching and more experience.

Reaction Score
He should stay another year because he isnt ready yet but im assuming he leaves after this season, its better just to assume he leaves

Reaction Score
You surely are not the only one.

On top of not dealing with screens well, it seems like he also tries to anticipate too much. He'll jump a passing lane, or go for a head fake, or collapse to the post and leave his guy wide open outside.

Lamb does have very good instincts, but he'll have to learn to pick and choose his spots. I've counted at least five instances of Lamb getting lost in off ball screens and leading to wide open threes over the past two games. He's gotta find a way to get over those screens like he did last year. His on ball defense has been nothing to write home about either. Several times he's gotten beat off the dribble. He could probably use another year of college

Reaction Score
He's said it in passing before.

When the news story came out a little while ago about Bradley actually keeping his scholarship, Drummond said something like "I'll definitely be on scholarship next year"

Reaction Score
I'm more concerned about his defense. Not sure if I'm the only one who has noticed a huge regression in his defense from the end of last sesaon.

His D is right up there with CV & Rudy as far as some of the worst I've seen in a Husky uniform. Both Jeremy and Shabazz have had big time drop offs in their D and its causing total team breakdowns because they constantly give up penetration causing help defenders to collapse. Then there is their inability to play through screens on the perimeter or guard their man while they're off the ball.

Reaction Score
His D is right up there with CV & Rudy as far as some of the worst I've seen in a Husky uniform. Both Jeremy and Shabazz have had big time drop offs in their D and its causing total team breakdowns because they constantly give up penetration causing help defenders to collapse. Then there is their inability to play through screens on the perimeter or guard their man while they're off the ball.

Some of the regression in defense might be attributed to the massive amount of minutes they both play. It's hard to be the primarily ball handler and play in your face defense for a full 40 minutes. This is where the lack of depth really hurts us, although, Lamb really has no excuse tonight considering he only played 24 minutes. Ideally, I'd like to keep the minutes of Shabazz and Lamb to 35 minutes maximum. With the depth we have at the small forward position, we could do with less of the three guard lineup.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Aren't these decisions usually made after the season is over? He better mean it because a statement like that could negatively impact recruiting of another big man such as Bennett. If we lose a recruit and then Drummond leaves that would suck. It is probably best not to make statements like that. On the other hand, him saying he is coming back could also help us land a recruit who might want to play with him next year. Are we still ineligible for the NCAA tourney next year? Why would he want to come back if we can't go to the tourney?
It's a direct quote, buddy. It's just a matter of whether he changes his mind between now and June.

Reaction Score
Aren't these decisions usually made after the season is over? He better mean it because a statement like that could negatively impact recruiting of another big man such as Bennett. If we lose a recruit and then Drummond leaves that would suck. It is probably best not to make statements like that. On the other hand, him saying he is coming back could also help us land a recruit who might want to play with him next year. Are we still ineligible for the NCAA tourney next year? Why would he want to come back if we can't go to the tourney?

It's odd, as people seem to have completely forgotten about the fact that as of right now, this team is not eligable for the tourney next year. We are all hopeful that it will change, but it does seem like a legitimate possiblity.

Reaction Score
Some of the regression in defense might be attributed to the massive amount of minutes they both play. It's hard to be the primarily ball handler and play in your face defense for a full 40 minutes. This is where the lack of depth really hurts us, although, Lamb really has no excuse tonight considering he only played 24 minutes. Ideally, I'd like to keep the minutes of Shabazz and Lamb to 35 minutes maximum. With the depth we have at the small forward position, we could do with less of the three guard lineup.

Oh I agree, I definitely did expect a drop off in Shabazz's D because he's playing the role of primary ballhandler, facilitator, and scorer but he needs to show more effort going thru screens and guarding his man instead of ballwatching. Too many times I've noticed him standing in the paint while his man is out at the 3 point line and then once the ball is swung around to his man he's stuck in no man's land. Jeremy just doesn't seem to be putting any effort into D whatsoever and its noticeable in the lack of steals he's got compared to last year when he was getting in the passing lanes. Jeremy's also at a disadvantage somewhat because he is playing alot of guys who he has at least 3-4" on and are naturally quicker than him, but it doesn't help when he's playing defense in an upright position for an entire possession.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Especially if the NCAA is peeved at Calhoun for getting around the scholarship limit to get Drummond. Also, will the NCAA wait until next season to start before announcing their decision? I see them waiting as long as possible to hurt Calhoun and our recruiting. If they take too long that could also influence Lamb's decision at the end of the season. I think both Lamb and Drummond should stay but both players would be high draft picks this year.
It's odd, as people seem to have completely forgotten about the fact that as of right now, this team is not eligable for the tourney next year. We are all hopeful that it will change, but it does seem like a legitimate possiblity.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
there is no legal way they can force the apr score on us to leave us out of the ncaat, were grandfathered in until the first apr score comes out since the new rule. and if i'm wrong on that then were still good becuase our score will improve enough where the waviers for a sship will go through etc...

SJ

Reaction Score
I think both Lamb and Drummond should stay but both players would be high draft picks this year.
Please forgive me for asking a dumb question, but won't they also be high picks next year, or after college? Actually, won't they even be HIGHER with more years of experience? What is the attraction? Money? I guess, as an older person, I look at the kids and think, what's three years? Just finish school! Then go make the money! I admire Kemba most for finishing college, and in three years. That is smart. He has serious drive.

SJ

Reaction Score
I think some of them worry that they won't perform like they did the previous year and their draft stock will drop. So, if they had a dream season as freshman and have a feeling they won't be able to do as well next season, they'll enter the draft while they are as attractive a pick as ever.
I see. Thanks!

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Please forgive me for asking a dumb question, but won't they also be high picks next year, or after college? Actually, won't they even be HIGHER with more years of experience? What is the attraction? Money? I guess, as an older person, I look at the kids and think, what's three years? Just finish school! Then go make the money! I admire Kemba most for finishing college, and in three years. That is smart. He has serious drive.

Take the money when it's there. You can always go back to college and get your degree. It's usually pretty hard to go back in time and get your athleticism back. Don't want to pass up on a big payday and get injured, never to see your wallet fatten up a little.

Of course if you can pull a Kemba or an Emeka and finish college in three years, well, you've got the best of both worlds.

Reactions: SJ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger