Zags: Larrier Enjoys UConn Visit | The Boneyard

Zags: Larrier Enjoys UConn Visit

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 3149

Kemba, from the Bronx, was there to speak with terry, from the Bronx ? Does it get much better?!

Reaction Score
PS -

4 guard lineups >>

Was going to post on this yesterday. I think Ollie is looking for 4 very versatile players to be on the floor together with one fast footed big. All of these long, lean skill players will be on the court together. Even KO's big men targets are more gazelle than bull.

If we have a good point guard---big or small, and a handful of 6'5"-6'9" guys that can shoot, create and defend, we'll be in great shape.

Reaction Score
Was going to post on this yesterday. I think Ollie is looking for 4 very versatile players to be on the floor together with one fast footed big. All of these long, lean skill players will be on the court together. Even KO's big men targets are more gazelle than bull.

If we have a good point guard---big or small, and a handful of 6'5"-6'9" guys that can shoot, create and defend, we'll be in great shape.

And rebound

Reaction Score
“Based off of who will be there his freshman year, they will need him to come in and play right away.”

That's an interesting quote from his coach, from which we can infer two things:

1) Everyone is assuming that DD is gone after this year
2) Larrier might play the 4, taking the DD role, and our lineup in the future will be closer to last year's than to the traditional JC NBA-oversized lineups

Either that or KO is lying, which I'm sure no coach has done to any recruit ever.

Reaction Score
“Based off of who will be there his freshman year, they will need him to come in and play right away.”

That's an interesting quote from his coach, from which we can infer two things:

1) Everyone is assuming that DD is gone after this year
2) Larrier might play the 4, taking the DD role, and our lineup in the future will be closer to last year's than to the traditional JC NBA-oversized lineups

Either that or KO is lying, which I'm sure no coach has done to any recruit ever.

Play right away could mean 10 minutes. Is UConn going to have 10 minutes available at the 3/4? Yes, if Daniels and Boatright are gone. Or, if Abu isn't coming, Larrier could get 30 minutes.

Here's the way I figure it:

PF: Abu 25 mins, Facey 10 mins
C: Facey 10 mins, Nolan 20 mins, Brimah 10 mins
PG: Assume frosh + Samuel = 25 mins, Purvis 15 mins
SG: Purvis 15 mins, Calhoun 15 mins, Hamilton 10 mins
SF: Calhoun 15 mins, Hamilton 15 mins, Larrier 10 mins

If Abu is out of the equation, then you have 25 mins available to be split between Facey and Larrier, which would give Larrier between 25-30 minutes. If Abu comes, Larrier only gets 10 as a freshman with the prospect of Calhoun leaving after Larrier's frosh year, Purvis and Hamilton leaving after Larrier's soph. year.

Reaction Score
I don't know about all of you but I get the feeling Larrier would play more of a DD type role if he came here, making me believe Abu may not be as high a priority as we've been thinking. Personally (based completely off YouTube) I would rather have Larrier over Abu but that's JMO, thoughts?

Reaction Score
I don't know about all of you but I get the feeling Larrier would play more of a DD type role if he came here, making me believe Abu may not be as high a priority as we've been thinking. Personally (based completely off YouTube) I would rather have Larrier over Abu but that's JMO, thoughts?

One is a SF at 6'6 and the other is a PF at 6'8.

Abu is literally down low outrebounding people, and has a muscular build. While Larrier isn't reed-thin, he is pretty slim, and more resembles a Rudy Gay than a Kevin Freeman-type. Abu is Freeman with offensive skills.

I see the two entirely differently. And, while Daniels has come on defensively while at UConn, he also has 2 inches over Larrier and extremely long arms.

Reaction Score
Ok, I saw Larrier listed at 6'8 in the zags article but these kids have so many different heights listed depending on the source it's hard to keep them straight.

Reaction Score
What about Abu at the 5 and Larrier at the 4?? Just a thought I wanted to throw out there. It seems possible.

Reaction Score
Ok, I saw Larrier listed at 6'8 in the zags article but these kids have so many different heights listed depending on the source it's hard to keep them straight.

I also remember seeing Larrier listed at 6'8" somewhere.

Reaction Score

Of course Abu is a high priority. Ollie watched every single one of his games in July. He's going hard after a number of great players at that position. You can't put all the eggs in one basket.

Reaction Score
Of course Abu is a high priority. Ollie watched every single one of his games in July. He's going hard after a number of great players at that position. You can't put all the eggs in one basket.

Priority may not have been the right word... Necessity perhaps

Reaction Score
Priority may not have been the right word... Necessity perhaps

Yes - necessity means something very different. Abu's our best shot at a traditional power forward who plays primarily in the post, and I'm not really sure if we have a backup plan that fits that description at the moment. But landing one of the other guys and using them in the Daniels role would be more than fine.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Interesting:

Larrier visits on Tuesday.
Chukwu down to two (no UCONN) on Wednesday

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
Don't like that he's retweeting VCU crap a day after are visit.

Reaction Score
Abu is Freeman with offensive skills.

Right now he's a big, strong kid who can score inside. I don't think he's anywhere near as polished as Kevin Freeman but, of course, you're talking about one of the best power guys of the Calhoun era.

Reaction Score
Right now he's a big, strong kid who can score inside. I don't think he's anywhere near as polished as Kevin Freeman but, of course, you're talking about one of the best power guys of the Calhoun era.

You're right, my view of Abu is limited, but the videos show him shooting 3s with good form. Have no idea how he does on the block. Freeman could score from there. But Freeman had a hitch in his outside shot and was generally not a guy you wanted out there. Abu looks like he has a little bit of NBA in his game already for a PF.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Feel like we're in a better position with Robinson. He's a better shooting in my opinion too...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom