Zags: Kevin Ollie Interested in the Laker job | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Zags: Kevin Ollie Interested in the Laker job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He isn't being anti-uconn, I doubt he knows too much but I also doubt he just made this up. Doesn't look good complaining about recruiting guys on twitter guys
He might not be making it up, but his judgment on who to use for sources has been proven questionable. And that's putting it very lightly.

The guy is a hack.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Yeah it would be for me also. Where would I go deer hunting in LA?
The City of Los Angeles is vast - I live on the very edge of the Angeles National Forest and have 2 to 5 deer in my back yard about 200 days a year.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Its funny seeing how people overreact on the BY. Over time its like we're all losing our minds...

Reaction Score
Its funny seeing how people overreact on the BY. Over time its like we're all losing our minds...

Over react? Seriously? Reevaluate where we are AAC, B1G monster tv deal, no real expansion talk, the need for our football program to produce. Losing KO would not be positive. We need to produce in all sports to stay relevant and will be hemorrhaging money soon.

It is tough as it is. Not time for.the alarms but we have a difficult road ahead, don't want it getting any harder

Reaction Score
Zags reports: Lakers must draft DHam and give KO personnel control.

Reaction Score
Settle down. Yes, if offered, Kevin Ollie would absolutely accept the Lakers job.

But, there is no way in hell they would offer it to him. Yes, they have made some bad hires in recent years so anything is possible, but come on, he is not shown he would be a good coach at that level. Look how bad Donovan has been this year in OKC and he showed more as a college coach than Ollie has.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Over react? Seriously? Reevaluate where we are AAC, B1G monster tv deal, no real expansion talk, the need for our football program to produce. Losing KO would not be positive. We need to produce in all sports to stay relevant and will be hemorrhaging money soon.

It is tough as it is. Not time for.the alarms but we have a difficult road ahead, don't want it getting any harder
Football drives conference realignment. Basketball plays a minor part.

Reaction Score
Settle down. Yes, if offered, Kevin Ollie would absolutely accept the Lakers job.

But, there is no way in hell they would offer it to him. Yes, they have made some bad hires in recent years so anything is possible, but come on, he is not shown he would be a good coach at that level. Look how bad Donovan has been this year in OKC and he showed more as a college coach than Ollie has.
Ollie 3-0 vs Donovan. But you are correct that he created a stronger collegiate program than Ollie has thus far.

C

Chief00

Of all the NBA rumors over the last few years, I think this one worries me the most. The fact that its his home, and if its true that they are willing to give him personnel control could be a tough offer to refuse, especially the fact that his current salary would be more than doubled if that was the case.

I agree if you want KO to stay at UConn - this is a concern. If UConn isn't his dream job the Laker job is.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Weird...Fox 61's Rich Coppolla is reporting this story and just showed a "tweet" from what looks like Kevin Ollie's Twitter account with the text:"Don't believe everything you hear!! Only meeting I have is with my team on Thursday.. We are preparing every day for Greatness!!"

The story had me go to Twitter to share it here and...no such post. In fact the Twitter post shown by Coppolla doesn't even have a date where there should be a date. And the sig picture on the Coppolla tweet shows 6 players I think. Ollie's Twitter that I am looking at shows him with his kids.

So, did Coppolla get duped? Is the tweet he posted a couple of years old?

What a gaffe.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The real person getting duped here is the guy watching Fox61's local news.
It was an accident. But still...they showed a fake tweet or something.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've lived in both Storrs and LA and, yeah, easy choice
upload_2016-4-26_0-7-7.png

[drops mic]

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
It's a real tweet, but from May of 2014:

The picture is the one KO has today. But the tweet shown by Coppolla had a picture of players. Again...weird.

Reaction Score
The only person who has gotten an actual quote from KO is Katz.

Zags reporting based on sources close to the situation, which is what he did last year and we saw how that turned out, and the other guy is reporting based on someone who is familiar with KO's thinking(whatever that means).

"Familiar with KO's thinking" could mean he contacted an ex-teammate of KO's and he took an educated guess on whether he'd be interested in the job. Just embarrassing journalism, IMO.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I love Ollie but let's be real: there's no basis to Kupchak give him personnel control.

caw

Reaction Score
I love Ollie but let's be real: there's no basis to Kupchak give him personnel control.

I agree, but if Ollie is happy at UConn he holds all the power and might as well shoot for the moon and see if they will give him everything he could want. Worst case, he he stays at UConn and can tell recruits the Lakers wanted him enough to offer him XYZ but he wouldn't leave UConn without ABC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom