Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
He tweeted it just now. Interesting.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
So USF, UConn, Cincy, and/or Temple have to vote to dissolve? Which of those two schools would be dumb enough....

Reaction Score
we know warde will not. I'd imagine Cinci would not. USF really has no where else to go right? Can't see dissolution occuring.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
There's too much money at stake to dissolve. They'd all be idiots to do this, bb schools included. I would assume that all exit fees that haven't been collected would be nullified. That's too much money to just throw away. I'd also think that some schools like WVU might file something to get the money back that they paid for some odd, obscure reason.

Reaction Score

ZLS, Did Zagoria say where that requirement comes from? The Big East By-laws pinned above has an Article XII on Dissolution that only mentions that a vote of two-thirds of all directors can dissolve the conference. Is there a later amendment or some sort of side agreement requiring that at least 2 FB members to be among the two-thirds voting to dissolve?

Reaction Score
I read that if they dont dissolve the league but instead leave it, they just wait the 27 months and pay no exit fee. That would be ideal because it would give us time to find a landing spot.

Reactions: PWS
Reaction Score
"Initially, both the FBS and non-FBS schools believed that the seven basketball schools could dissolve the league by a two-thirds majority vote, which the basketball schools have, sources said. However, a source with knowledge of the situation told ESPN on Thursday that the league may not be dissolved without at least two FBS and two non-FBS members each voting to do so.

That won't happen as only 10 full members -- the seven departing, non-Football Bowl Subdivision schools plus Cincinnati, UConn and South Florida -- remain in the conference and the FBS schools don't want to league to dissolve.

Temple is a football-only member. The Owls will be full members next year but would not get a vote on dissolution this season.

That means the seven schools are expected to move together to form a new league. They would keep their automatic berth in the NCAA basketball tournaments because NCAA rules state that as long as a group of seven universities have been in the same league for five years, they keep their bid after a move together to a new conference."

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...e-leave-big-east-debating-process-source-says

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
ZLS, Did Zagoria say where that requirement comes from? The Big East By-laws pinned above has an Article XII on Dissolution that only mentions that a vote of two-thirds of all directors can dissolve the conference. Is there a later amendment or some sort of side agreement requiring that at least 2 FB members to be among the two-thirds voting to dissolve?

No, but my thought is the date on those bylaws- Oct. 2011.

Might have changed since.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
"Initially, both the FBS and non-FBS schools believed that the seven basketball schools could dissolve the league by a two-thirds majority vote, which the basketball schools have, sources said. However, a source with knowledge of the situation told ESPN on Thursday that the league may not be dissolved without at least two FBS and two non-FBS members each voting to do so.

That won't happen as only 10 full members -- the seven departing, non-Football Bowl Subdivision schools plus Cincinnati, UConn and South Florida -- remain in the conference and the FBS schools don't want to league to dissolve.

Temple is a football-only member. The Owls will be full members next year but would not get a vote on dissolution this season.

That means the seven schools are expected to move together to form a new league. They would keep their automatic berth in the NCAA basketball tournaments because NCAA rules state that as long as a group of seven universities have been in the same league for five years, they keep their bid after a move together to a new conference."

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...e-leave-big-east-debating-process-source-says
We would vote to dissolve, with Cincy, perhaps in turn for housing all sports but football in the new league. I just don't see the new football league taking us in without our most valuable assets.

Reaction Score
We would vote to dissolve, with Cincy, perhaps in turn for housing all sports but football in the new league. I just don't see the new football league taking us in without our most valuable assets.
i think UConn voting for dissolution would effectively relegate uconn to a has been. It would be wildly dumb to put your chips in a basket with a bunch of catholic schools that have historically voted against the progression of an north east football league which would have ensured Big East success. These schools are interested in basketball welfare which uconn has as much oppurtunity to maintain in any division. This seriously jeopardizes uconn football which is the bread maker in college sports. This would be an incredibly short sighted decision that would have lasting effects on UConn footballs future success and return us to our pre FBS sports level.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I read that if they dont dissolve the league but instead leave it, they just wait the 27 months and pay no exit fee. That would be ideal because it would give us time to find a landing spot.

That's why we are a bargaining chip. If ESPN wants the new BE hoop rights and the ACC want their members sooner and cheaper, they know who to call. Otherwise we take the 27 month life raft.

Damned if MHver3 didn't actually have this right yesterday.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

That makes things very interesting because the remaining three football schools would then have the only legal rights to MSG, the BE name and all the monies from the exit fees and the NCAA. I expect these three schools will let the Catholics go their way if the monies stay in the BE. Otherwise the Catholics will have to stay or pay exit fees.

Reaction Score
That makes things very interesting because the remaining three football schools would then have the only legal rights to MSG, the BE name and all the monies from the exit fees and the NCAA. I expect these three schools will let the Catholics go their way if the monies stay in the BE. Otherwise the Catholics will have to stay or pay exit fees.

I should hope this is true, but I think the Catholics will stick it out 3 more years to collect the NCAA credits. They can suck some more out of the BE before they leave. But leaving now doesn't entitle them to the exit fees, I believe.

If the Catholics didn't realize about this 2-and-2 rule, they may have a lot of egg on their face right now.

I bet they thought they could get away with all the crown jewels, and now that lost $$ is staring them in the face, there is remorse. But they can't put their tail between their legs now.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
No, but my thought is the date on those bylaws- Oct. 2011.

Might have changed since.
Right, based on those bylaws, a 2/3 majority of "full members" aka not football onlies is required to dissolve the conference. If we really are down to 10 full members (I don't care to do the math) then I don't know why the 7C's don't make up the 2/3 majority?

Also curious though is - if they decide to leave (versus dissolve), that's a 27 months wait, plus the $5mil in exit fees. I don't see anywhere that it says you can just skip on that last part!

Reaction Score
Forget the exit fees. The real money is the 150+million the NCAA owes the BE conference from the NCAA BB tournament. Is is money that will be paid out over the next 6 years. Note all credits earned from the NCAA tournament is paid out over a 6 year rolling timeframe. Any team that leaves the conference forfeits their share.

Reaction Score
So USF, UConn, Cincy, and/or Temple have to vote to dissolve? Which of those two schools would be dumb enough....
I dont believe that Temple gets a vote

Reaction Score
I dont believe that Temple gets a vote

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
I thought in football matters they were allowed to vote? So if a FB school was needed Temple would get a vote, no? I was going with this assumption and could be wrong.

Reaction Score
I don't understand how basketball schools that don't play football in the Big East can dissolve the Big East which includes football.

That would be giving non-stake holders way too much power. How could they be that incompetent?

I am just going to assume that Zagoria is right.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I don't understand how basketball schools that don't play football in the Big East can dissolve the Big East which includes football.

That would be giving non-stake holders way too much power. How could they be that incompetent?

I am just going to assume that Zagoria is right.
Just remember that schools that play hoops are full members. Football onlies are not. Nothing in the Oct. '11 by laws mentions needing a certain mix of football and hoops schools to dissolve the conference- just a 2/3 majority by "full members". So I'm wondering if things have changed in the mean time.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I thought in football matters they were allowed to vote? So if a FB school was needed Temple would get a vote, no? I was going with this assumption and could be wrong.
My meager reading of the bylaws is that Temple could vote on, say, adding a football member to the conference. But for anything affecting the rest of the hoops schools, they essentially don't count at the moment.

Reaction Score

Can someone tweet back to him and ask him for some documentation on this. Because if true, this could be our get out of jail card or at least a lifeboat with a slow leak

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Can someone tweet back to him and ask him for some documentation on this. Because if true, this could be our get out of jail card or at least a lifeboat with a slow leak

We are Chief Brody astride the mast of the Orca/Big East, as the great white named "Realignment" bears down. Cinci is Hooper, hiding on the bottom, running out of air. SFU is Quint, already devoured. This is no slow leak. But hopefully time to get off a few shots at the scuba tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom