Zag/borges:Ollie Says Extension Helps Recruiting; Pitino Endorses Ollie | The Boneyard

Zag/borges:Ollie Says Extension Helps Recruiting; Pitino Endorses Ollie

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Kind, classy words from Pitino, yet he still remains on my personal throat punch wish list. The only good thing about 'ville getting the ACC nod is that I will end up reading less about this wanker and his need to provide his thoughts on pretty much everything.

Reaction Score
Ollie didn't really say that, he basically said it just takes a question off the table, but ok if you want to say it helps, I expect we'll start seeing the results. As far as Pitino's comments, please...when have you heard a head coach say something bad about an opposing coach? Heck, usually if a guy is borderline to be fired his brethren vote him coach of the year.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Pitino is saying nice words just so he can take Mrs. Ollie out to dinner and do what he normally does.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Pitino is saying nice words just so he can take Mrs. Ollie out to dinner and do what he normally does.
Don't know Mrs. Ollie but I strongly believe she is many classy acts above the table wanker.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
Ollie didn't really say that, he basically said it just takes a question off the table...

So you would say that taking the question off the table doesn't really help?

You do realize that recruiting isn't quite like picking teams for kickball in 4th grade gym class, right?

Reaction Score
Pitino actually made a moderately positive comment about Calipari when he was announced as the Kentucky Head Coach, so don't put too much stock in his pro-Ollie comments.

Reaction Score
So you would say that taking the question off the table doesn't really help?

You do realize that recruiting isn't quite like picking teams for kickball in 4th grade gym class, right?
Fine you want to say it helps, then let's see him deliver a decent recruiting class. Shouldn't be any excuses now.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
Ollie didn't really say that, he basically said it just takes a question off the table, but ok if you want to say it helps, I expect we'll start seeing the results. As far as Pitino's comments, please...when have you heard a head coach say something bad about an opposing coach? Heck, usually if a guy is borderline to be fired his brethren vote him coach of the year.
Um, yeah he did.

“It’s helping out,” he said.

Reaction Score
Um, yeah he did.

“It’s helping out,” he said.
Here's the thing...you guys and the local press always made more of it than Ollie ever did. Same with this. they asked him and he said sure now I don't have to answer that question any more, or something to that effect. But Ollie himself, to his credit, has never used it as an excuse for whiffing on a bunch of talent. You guys have. Borges, who I think has a man crush on Ollie and sleeps with a picture of Kevin under his pillow, has used it. So now he should start landing top level players. If he doesn't recruit well from here on it is because the whole "Ollie is a great recruiter, recruits love Ollie, and the only reason he didn't land player X is because he doesn't have a long term deal" is nonsense. There are still a couple of uncommitted guys out there. We need all the help we can get, especially in the front court. Land one. No excuses.

Reaction Score
If he doesn't recruit well from here on it is because the whole "Ollie is a great recruiter, recruits love Ollie, and the only reason he didn't land player X is because he doesn't have a long term deal" is nonsense.

So I guess that means if Ollie brings in a great recruiting class in 2014, you'll admit that you were 100% wrong and the lack of contract wasn't nonsense, right??

Reaction Score
Here's the thing...you guys and the local press always made more of it than Ollie ever did. Same with this. they asked him and he said sure now I don't have to answer that question any more, or something to that effect. But Ollie himself, to his credit, has never used it as an excuse for whiffing on a bunch of talent. You guys have. Borges, who I think has a man crush on Ollie and sleeps with a picture of Kevin under his pillow, has used it. So now he should start landing top level players. If he doesn't recruit well from here on it is because the whole "Ollie is a great recruiter, recruits love Ollie, and the only reason he didn't land player X is because he doesn't have a long term deal" is nonsense. There are still a couple of uncommitted guys out there. We need all the help we can get, especially in the front court. Land one. No excuses.
Sometimes I think you write stuff just to get a rise out of people. Of course Ollie not having a long term contract was a factor in recruiting. But what was Ollie's view on his whole situation the last few months? He said he wasn't going to talk about it at all or use it as an excuse for anything. So of course he didn't come out and say the lack of a long term contract was hurting recruiting. I'm sure he thought it but he wasn't going to say it.

I think you have to give him a little longer time than just this spring to get some really good players. That's not exactly fair. But if he whiffs on the 2014 class I think it's fair to start questioning his ability to recruit.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
Fine you want to say it helps, then let's see him deliver a decent recruiting class. Shouldn't be any excuses now.

A) He has never used it as an excuse. This forum has used it as a point of discussion. Imagine that...discussions on a forum. There would be no need for a Boneyard if everyone thought like you.

B) I think we'd all love to hear your logic on how it doesn't help recruiting efforts for said recruits to know who will be coaching them.

Reaction Score
Kind, classy words from Pitino, yet he still remains on my personal throat punch wish list. The only good thing about 'ville getting the ACC nod is that I will end up reading less about this wanker and his need to provide his thoughts on pretty much everything.

Notice the dig at UCONN & JC though not mentioned by name....
Pitino says " I think Kevin is the perfect segue into an APR situation".........

Reaction Score
Sometimes I think you write stuff just to get a rise out of people. Of course Ollie not having a long term contract was a factor in recruiting. But what was Ollie's view on his whole situation the last few months? He said he wasn't going to talk about it at all or use it as an excuse for anything. So of course he didn't come out and say the lack of a long term contract was hurting recruiting. I'm sure he thought it but he wasn't going to say it.

I think you have to give him a little longer time than just this spring to get some really good players. That's not exactly fair. But if he whiffs on the 2014 class I think it's fair to start questioning his ability to recruit.
Fair enough. Though I assume he's still recruiting for this class and his extension should only help, no?

Reaction Score
Fair enough. Though I assume he's still recruiting for this class and his extension should only help, no?
Yes. But that doesn't just mean he should be able to haul in a few highly rated recruits this spring. There's a limited pool left and he's starting pretty late with all of them. Plus recruiting is hard enough as we've seen even when JC was the coach and not near retirement. Give Ollie a full year recruiting the 2014 class and I think he should be able to get some ready to contribute right away talent.

Reaction Score
Yes. But that doesn't just mean he should be able to haul in a few highly rated recruits this spring. There's a limited pool left and he's starting pretty late with all of them. Plus recruiting is hard enough as we've seen even when JC was the coach and not near retirement. Give Ollie a full year recruiting the 2014 class and I think he should be able to get some ready to contribute right away talent.
Why is he starting late with them? Wasn't he recruiting right along? Now doesn't he just say, "You know that question about whetehr I'd be there...it has been settled and I will be." Presumably he's been on a few guys right along. But regardless of how this year goes, I absolutley think its fair to see how he does next year.

Reaction Score
Why is he starting late with them? Wasn't he recruiting right along? Now doesn't he just say, "You know that question about whetehr I'd be there...it has been settled and I will be." Presumably he's been on a few guys right along. But regardless of how this year goes, I absolutley think its fair to see how he does next year.

hooper you are correct, he just wants a rise... it is like a three year old, we all just need to cut him off

Reaction Score
<freescooter>Pitino knows Ollie's a scrub. This is just a ploy to hamstring UConn with a bad coach that will set them back for a decade and guarantee an easy win for Louisville every year if Uconn ever ends up in the ACC.</freescooter>

Reaction Score
All Pitino said is the same thing any other coach would say unless they applied for the UConn job. Its nice but meaningless.

Its a fraternity for goodness sakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22