Your top "team of Huskies" for new season's crunch time? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Your top "team of Huskies" for new season's crunch time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Bria - her play last season demonstrated that the team does not perform to its potential/expectations when she isn't on the floor.

KML - She is both an offensive/defensive force that opponents have to make adjustments in order to cover her.

Breanna/Morgan - one of them, if not both, will be on the floor at crunch time. (As I imagine it now, it is possible that Morgan might be at the 5 spot and Breanna at the 4 spot in some situations.)

Stef - if her conditioning is as advertised for the upcoming season. Otherwise I would go with Kiah, if we aren't playing Baylor. For Baylor I would look for Heather to cover Griner like a glove.

Kelly - continues to be the "If Factor" for me. If she has improved her shot to the extent that opponents have to guard her, then she should also be on the floor. (I continue to be amazed that so many BYs look at her as being the leader on the floor. Obviously, I don't see it that way. The leader of the floor has been, since Maya left, and probably will continue to be Bria.)

So.... in the final six minutes of a game against Baylor or ND, my five on the floor would be:

Bria - PG.

KML - SG.

Breanna - SF.

Morgan - PF.

Heather/Kiah - Center.

Peace,

John Fryer

The only problem with having Buck on the floor is that she is not very offensively skilled, from what I have seen, so basically on offense against Baylor it would allow BG to just camp out in the lane and shut everything down.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Can't be generic. There is only 1 opponent where this could possibly happen. Sooooo we are playing Baylor. Assuming no injuries/foul trouble.

You have left off the only person who will absolutely, no questions asked, 100% guaranteed be on the floor, Hartley - she is the floor leader, clutchiest player and will be on the floor.

Next will be for KML outside shooting.

Don't really need an extra ball handler since Baylor will not press much if at all so no Jefferson or Banks.

Faris will be on the floor for defense and leadership purposes.

Stewart and Dolson in the post. For height and offensive options.

It'll be down to Griner to beat us. Keep her off the block and we win.

Baylor is going to have multiple McDonalds AAs on the floor: BG, Sims, Williams and Prince, and a darn good supporting cast in Madden and Hayden. Can you really say that only Griner can beat you? Although, Griner will be close to unstoppable and I don't think there is any team in America that can keep Griner from taking over.

Reaction Score
SUMMARY OF THE PICKS
1. The neatest outcome has been that EVERY SINGLE PLAYER ON THE SQUAD got at least some explicit consideration for a spot on the floor. Pretty amazing when you consider that there are eleven on the squad, a "crunch time"scenario was described, some of the players got limited minutes last year, and others have yet to suit up for a college game. This seems a nice tribute to staff for putting together such a wonderful unit and to the players for having displayed such obvious talents.

2. Mentions/picks came in two categories essentially A. A clear cut "I want Tina or the floor" pick. B. A more "situational" mention, eg, " Depending on this, that and the other, I'd have to choose between Sally and Sue."

3. The top trio of definitive picks were Faris, Lewis, and Hartley as the core. Hard on their heels were Dolson and Stewart. When you add in the more iffy but important "situational" mentions along with the definitive mentions, Doty and Tuck emerge as the first in line coming off the bench.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
SUMMARY OF THE PICKS
1. The neatest outcome has been that EVERY SINGLE PLAYER ON THE SQUAD got at least some explicit consideration for a spot on the floor. Pretty amazing when you consider that there are eleven on the squad, a "crunch time"scenario was described, some of the players got limited minutes last year, and others have yet to suit up for a college game. This seems a nice tribute to staff for putting together such a wonderful unit and to the players for having displayed such obvious talents.

2. Mentions/picks came in two categories essentially A. A clear cut "I want Tina or the floor" pick. B. A more "situational" mention, eg, " Depending on this, that and the other, I'd have to choose between Sally and Sue."

3. The top trio of definitive picks were Faris, Lewis, and Hartley as the core. Hard on their heels were Dolson and Stewart. When you add in the more iffy but important "situational" mentions along with the definitive mentions, Doty and Tuck emerge as the first in line coming off the bench.

I can't imagine that Stewart will NOT be on the floor unless she is really a bust this season, and I think there is no chance of that happening. She has NBA range and has the length to be an effective defender and challenge for rebounds. IMO, she will be THE go-to player for UCONN along with Hartley.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Baylor is going to have multiple McDonalds AAs on the floor: BG, Sims, Williams and Prince, and a darn good supporting cast in Madden and Hayden.
As will UCONN - Faris, Hartley, Dolson, KML and Stewart. And on the bench will be McD AA's Banks, Tuck and Jefferson. (not that how many McD AA's you have really matters as per how they perform in college - but sure, it doesn't hurt)

Can you really say that only Griner can beat you?

Yep, given the situation in the OP, either Griner beats us or we win. You don't have to agree, but I can say it and believe it.

Although, Griner will be close to unstoppable and I don't think there is any team in America that can keep Griner from taking over.

And therein lies the rub.

Reaction Score
Baylor is going to have multiple McDonalds AAs on the floor: BG, Sims, Williams and Prince, and a darn good supporting cast in Madden and Hayden.
Ummmm...You only get to put 5 players in at a time.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ok wait, now you are saying we coulda picked Charles and/or Bird? WTH, way to move the goalposts (or peach baskets as the case may be). I want to change my picks.

But as for Sally, the only one I know of is Bell and there ain't no way in hell, I want her on the floor tied with Baylor with 6 minutes to go.

:cool:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
As will UCONN - Faris, Hartley, Dolson, KML and Stewart. And on the bench will be McD AA's Banks, Tuck and Jefferson. (not that how many McD AA's you have really matters as per how they perform in college - but sure, it doesn't hurt)

Yep, given the situation in the OP, either Griner beats us or we win. You don't have to agree, but I can say it and believe it.

And therein lies the rub.

Baylor will also have a couple of McD AAs on the bench in Johnson and Chandler. Chandler could very well be on the floor, making it 5 AAs. I am not saying that BG is not the best bet to beat you, but if you think that Sims cannot beat you, think again. She is money at crunch time.

What a fun game it is going to be. That February game is going to tell us so much about which players are likely to step it up during the NCAA tourney.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Baylor will also have a couple of McD AAs on the bench in Johnson and Chandler. Chandler could very well be on the floor, making it 5 AAs. I am not saying that BG is not the best bet to beat you, but if you think that Sims cannot beat you, think again. She is money at crunch time.
Chandler was an honorable mention, she doesn't count. And our chances increase if Johnson is on the floor at crunch time over Hayden or Madden.

If we lose it won't be because Sims beat us, it will be because Griner beat us. Not saying Sims isn't one of the top 3 guards in the country, but in this instance it won't be Sims who beats us.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Chandler was an honorable mention, she doesn't count. And our chances increase if Johnson is on the floor at crunch time over Hayden or Madden.

If we lose it won't be because Sims beat us, it will be because Griner beat us. Not saying Sims isn't one of the top 3 guards in the country, but in this instance it won't be Sims who beats us.

You are correct. However, Chandler played in the WBCA All-Star game and scored 9 points and grabbed 5 rebounds.

Johnson will not be on the floor unless there is deep foul trouble or injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom