Your top 10 most hated foods, with a twist | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Your top 10 most hated foods, with a twist

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think most of them are imagining it. Yes, I know some of them, and I still think that. It's an all too convenient scapegoat.
I think you're nuts. I've seen and experienced the cause and effect.

I can't for the life of me understand why it would bother anyone that someone else feels better when they don't eat certain foods.

Consider yourself blessed that you don't have such issues.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
A scapegoat for what? Intestinal discomfort?

I think you're nuts. I've seen and experienced the cause and effect.

I can't for the life of me understand why it would bother anyone that someone else feels better when they don't eat certain foods.

Consider yourself blessed that you don't have such issues.

"Gluten Free" has become a "health" buzzword, and there are many thousands of people who have no issues with Gluten but who try to ear "Gluten Free" because they think it is healthier. It isn't. People can choose to eat what they want, but I think they need better information about what gluten is.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
"Gluten Free" has become a "health" buzzword, and there are many thousands of people who have no issues with Gluten but who try to ear "Gluten Free" because they think it is healthier. It isn't. People can choose to eat what they want, but I think they need better information about what gluten is.

I developed some very good GF pastry items when I ran my shop as I had GF customers I really liked and who supported us big time in the early days.

But I had plenty of customers who'd ask "What's GF here?" one day and then show up another time and get a cookie. Who knows what they're after.

At a nicer restaurant, it's just totally uncool to fake an allergy or intolerance. Better restaurants will accommodate any allergy, but doing so slows up the kitchen and affects their profit margin, while also slowing service for other customers.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don't think you're in any position to know what is healthier for someone else's body. Like I said, there are a lot of people who have a sensitivity but not Celiac, which is a serious allergic reaction that can be determined through testing (although not all testing is the same). When people are experiencing intestinal discomfort that is not otherwise explained, they often experiment by removing certain items from their diets, and gluten is frequently one of them. I did exactly that and I felt better. A lot better. Then I got tested and it was determined that I do not have Celiac. I started reintroducing gluten products with varying success and ultimately determined that it was mostly beer that was making me feel like crap. Why? I have no idea. But I know for sure it does and I have since confirmed it several times; and I have also determined that certain styles are more likely to cause discomfort than others, and that quantity matters.

I went through a similar thing with lactose, but lactose is a little different. For starters, we all enter this world lactose intolerant because the size of the molecules of cow's milk is much larger than the size of the molecules that comprise mother's milk. Most people learn to tolerate it during infancy, but more than half lose the ability as they age, causing various levels of intestinal discomfort depending on how much and what form of lactose they are ingesting, and how their bodies react to it. I now have a pretty good handle on what and how much I can ingest without issue. Am I lactose intolerant? No. But I definitely have a sensitivity to it in certain forms and quantities.

Back to the gluten though, I think you may be observing what, to me, seems to be a result of the Paleo Diet fad, which is huge for a lot of Crossfit people in particular. Paleo food is also gluten free, and is usually identified as such as well. I do not believe that Paleo or any other diet fad is healthier than a properly balanced diet that focuses on whole (i.e., non-processed) foods, but I know a lot of people try to eat Paleo because they believe otherwise.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't think you're in any position to know what is healthier for someone else's body. Like I said, there are a lot of people who have a sensitivity but not Celiac, which is a serious allergic reaction that can be determined through testing (although not all testing is the same). When people are experiencing intestinal discomfort that is not otherwise explained, they often experiment by removing certain items from their diets, and gluten is frequently one of them. I did exactly that and I felt better. A lot better. Then I got tested and it was determined that I do not have Celiac. I started reintroducing gluten products with varying success and ultimately determined that it was mostly beer that was making me feel like crap. Why? I have no idea. But I know for sure it does and I have since confirmed it several times; and I have also determined that certain styles are more likely to cause discomfort than others, and that quantity matters.

I went through a similar thing with lactose, but lactose is a little different. For starters, we all enter this world lactose intolerant because the size of the molecules of cow's milk is much larger than the size of the molecules that comprise mother's milk. Most people learn to tolerate it during infancy, but more than half lose the ability as they age, causing various levels of intestinal discomfort depending on how much and what form of lactose they are ingesting, and how their bodies react to it. I now have a pretty good handle on what and how much I can ingest without issue. Am I lactose intolerant? No. But I definitely have a sensitivity to it in certain forms and quantities.

Back to the gluten though, I think you may be observing what, to me, seems to be a result of the Paleo Diet fad, which is huge for a lot of Crossfit people in particular. Paleo food is also gluten free, and is usually identified as such as well. I do not believe that Paleo or any other diet fad is healthier than a properly balanced diet that focuses on whole (i.e., non-processed) foods, but I know a lot of people try to eat Paleo because they believe otherwise.

Everybody decides for themselves. I'm rather libertarian that way. Just think that false information shouldn't be the basis of decisions. With gluten there are loads of morons who think it is some artificial additive and they want it out. It's not just paleo or low carb. There is a lot of misinformation about what gluten is. Here's another one. I have a friend who's daughter stays gluten free (maybe she is celiac, I don't know). She insists on having Tito's Vodka because it says "gluten free", even though (a) most spirits aren't even made from wheat anyway and (b) it is impossible for gluten to show up in any distilled alcohol even if it was made from wheat. Smart marketing by Tito's.

In your case, with beer...consider yeast. It's something also present in many gluten containing foods like bread. If the other gluten products that bothered you had yeast (unlike say, chocolate chip cookies) it might be the answer. Just speculating since you said you didn't know why. I tend to think I also have some issues that may stem from yeast. And yes, it seems to be a cumulative effect. It's difficult to run a truly controlled experiment on yourself though. We are all our own Dr. Google now.

I'm with you on lactose, it affects nearly all of us for the reasons you mentioned, depending on each person and quantity. If I have rich mac & cheese or clam chowder, plus ice cream later, I'll be feeling it for sure.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Everybody decides for themselves. I'm rather libertarian that way. Just think that false information shouldn't be the basis of decisions. With gluten there are loads of morons who think it is some artificial additive and they want it out. It's not just paleo or low carb. There is a lot of misinformation about what gluten is. Here's another one. I have a friend who's daughter stays gluten free (maybe she is celiac, I don't know). She insists on having Tito's Vodka because it says "gluten free", even though (a) most spirits aren't even made from wheat anyway and (b) it is impossible for gluten to show up in any distilled alcohol even if it was made from wheat. Smart marketing by Tito's.

In your case, with beer...consider yeast. It's something also present in many gluten containing foods like bread. If the other gluten products that bothered you had yeast (unlike say, chocolate chip cookies) it might be the answer. Just speculating since you said you didn't know why. I tend to think I also have some issues that may stem from yeast. And yes, it seems to be a cumulative effect. It's difficult to run a truly controlled experiment on yourself though. We are all our own Dr. Google now.

I'm with you on lactose, it affects nearly all of us for the reasons you mentioned, depending on each person and quantity. If I have rich mac & cheese or clam chowder, plus ice cream later, I'll be feeling it for sure.
Thankfully, yeast does not appear to be the culprit for me, as I can still eat pizza, which is pretty much my favorite food. I do limit the occasions one which I allow myself to have it, however, for diet (i.e., weight control) reasons, because I love it so much that I have a hard time stopping myself at a reasonable portion.

I also agree with you that there is a lot of misunderstanding about gluten.

Reaction Score
Thought of a couple others besides Tofu and peeps:

Raisins - JCSuper mentioned them and I agree. Just too sickly sweet with an unappealing texture for me. I don’t mind other dried fruits but have never liked raisins.

Cottage cheese - Gross, just gross.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I gotta admit...I am really starting to dislike turkey. I never buy ground turkey anymore. Chicken now. And for paninis....no turkey, chicken. And at Thanksgiving I have to smother the bird meat in gravy and I never get 2nds anymore.

Maple has been mentioned. Outside of syrup I hate maple.

Agree, too, on canteloupe/honeydew....:shudder:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I gotta admit...I am really starting to dislike turkey. I never buy ground turkey anymore. Chicken now. And for paninis....no turkey, chicken. And at Thanksgiving I have to smother the bird meat in gravy and I never get 2nds anymore.

Maple has been mentioned. Outside of syrup I hate maple.

Agree, too, on canteloupe/honeydew....:shudder:

I always have a tough time remembering which one is honeydew and which one is cantaloupe. One is green, one is orange. Regardless of the names, I forget which color I like and which one I don't like as much. I think I like the orange one better than the green one but it may be the other way around. I do know when I have both on my plate/bowl I like one more than the other.

Reaction Score
Yes, I've had head cheese and haggis - I wouldn't describe either as delectable, but done right you can see why it hits for its niche.
I think all of the coconut haters are pissed about grabbing the wrong Russell Stovers candy & obviously have never had a proper macaroon (almond macaroons from The Nantucket Bake Shop are best I've ever had).

A higher end example is Fishy doesn't like veal, well don't order it at the Olive Garden where it probably isn't really veal, definitely isn't fresh & will be leathery. You order veal at a very good, old school Italian restaurant where you know they've paid thru the nose for the most innocent & tender baby calf & its not been in the freezer ever since Godzilla stepped on Bambi.

I’ve had what are supposed to be some of the best coconut macaroons around. They still suck, because shaved coconut sucks.

Not a huge fan of veal not because of texture but because of a lack of flavor. Veal is a flavor absorber so a good piece of veal with a good complementing sauce is tasty and tender but it can’t really stand on its own.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom