Your Saturday Viewing Guide | The Boneyard

Your Saturday Viewing Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This sucks, our first big game canceled due to Covid. However, with the crummy tri-state area weather today's a great day to a game or two or five on TV. Outside of the Baylor/Gonzaga game not a very exciting slate, but I tried finding a few potential good ones.

1 PM: Gonzaga vs Baylor - #1 vs #2. Not much to add here aside from perhaps the two most skilled, veteran teams in the NCAA. Both likable programs and lots of players to root for...personally I'm a huge Mark Vital fan. Enjoy this one everyone.

2 PM:
  • SMU @ Dayton: SMU is a dark-horse contender in the AAC (and a team I always respected and didn't feel like a waste on our schedule) and I'm curious how Dayton bounces back post-Toppin with Crutcher taking the lead.
  • Eastern Washington @ Arizona: The top team in the Big Sky against a Wildcats team with a lot of turnover. Washington State narrowly beat the Eagles, so could be a close game. Eastern Washington has one of the better duos in low-major basketball between 6'4 Jacob Davidson and 6'7 Kim Aiken who combined for over 30 ppg last year.
4 PM:
  • Iona @ Hofstra: I'm very curious about Pitino's stamp on Iona and Hofstra is a solid local team.
  • Washington State @ Colorado: Early PAC-12 matchup.
  • ***At 3 PM Sid's team plays Omaha
5 PM:
  • Lipscomb @ Arkansas. Very good mid-major team led by center stud Ahsan Asadullah. Think Richmond's Grant Golden or Loyola-Chi's Cameron Krutwig just with less fanfare. Good test for Musselman's squad
  • New Mexico State @ Santa Clara: The WCC is the best it's ever ban and Santa Clara is a good test for Chris Jans' Aggies
6 PM:
  • South Carolina @ Houston. Frank Martin is one of my favorite coaches and this is his best squad in five years, which is led by junior wing AJ Lawson. We knew Houston would be good, but they might finish the season top-10.
8 PM:
  • UNLV @ Kansas State: TJ Otzelberger is building something special in Vegas but he might be one year away from being a potential top-25 team. Bryce Hamilton is their star while Otzelberger's former South Dakota State star, David Jenkins, is a ton of fun to watch. Kansas State is always a tough, defensive team and a chance to watch local Mike McGuirl led the rebuilding Wildcats.
9 PM:
  • BYU @ Utah State: Grab your hard alcohol and cuss your way through this game of in-state rivals. Both are projected to have down years, but usually this is a very good game. Good matchup between star centers Neemias Queta and Matt Haarms.

Last edited:

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I'm actually interested in the Coastal Carolina/BYU football game. Sounds ridiculous to say actually.
Just this - other than our game, this was the only decent hoops game of the day. Maybe SMU/Dayton or SC/Houston. 1:00 should be fun though.

Reaction Score
I'm actually interested in the Coastal Carolina/BYU football game. Sounds ridiculous to say actually.

Coming to you from Myrtle Beach and 5 miles away from Coastal.

Today is huge for the program. They were picked to be toward the bottom of the Sun Belt. Covid scheduling has put every game they've played (except last week) on a national ESPN broadcast. The benefit of that exposure can't be calculated (though I'm sure some media consultant has a formula) for boosting recruiting and the program overall. Add Gameday to reinforce that CCU is just minutes from Myrtle Beach and it's helping the area overall as well.

An issue could be losing Coach Chadwell to fill the USC job but that's normal for any non top tier program (as we all know so well, dammit).

Reaction Score
Coming to you from Myrtle Beach and 5 miles away from Coastal.

Today is huge for the program. They were picked to be toward the bottom of the Sun Belt. Covid scheduling has put every game they've played (except last week) on a national ESPN broadcast. The benefit of that exposure can't be calculated (though I'm sure some media consultant has a formula) for boosting recruiting and the program overall. Add Gameday to reinforce that CCU is just minutes from Myrtle Beach and it's helping the area overall as well.

An issue could be losing Coach Chadwell to fill the USC job but that's normal for any non top tier program (as we all know so well, dammit).
Wish you and your team the best of luck in today's big game.

Basketball wise, nothing but honor to what Cliff Ellis is doing with the Coastal Carolina basketball program. My homey just turned 74 and needs 16 more wins for 800 total D1 wins. Ellis would become the 13th coach in NCAA history to achieve 800 wins.

Despite its starting intentions to be a football conference, I've been very impressed with the Sun Belt's rise as a basketball conference. At least half of those teams are solid programs.

Reaction Score
Hope we have some kind of madness this season minus covid-19!!

Reaction Score
Too bad. Should be a good game. At least there is college football to watch. I’d love to see Syracuse knock off Notre Dame although unlikely.

Reaction Score
I’d love to see Syracuse knock off Notre Dame
why would you wish for good things to happen for them? this is just asking for those -holes to gloat about the disparity in our respective football programs. this is coming from someone who could not care less about UConn football and i dont even wanna hear it

Reaction Score
why would you wish for good things to happen for them? this is just asking for those -holes to gloat about the disparity in our respective football programs. this is coming from someone who could not care less about UConn football and i dont even wanna hear it
Fair question. I hate both teams although I was an Irish fan in my youth. A loss for ND might keep them out of the playoffs while a win for Syracuse would only be for bragging rights.

Reaction Score
This sucks, our first big game canceled due to Covid. However, with the crummy tri-state area weather today's a great day to a game or two or five on TV. Outside of the Baylor/Gonzaga game not a very exciting slate, but I tried finding a few potential good ones.

1 PM: Gonzaga vs Baylor - #1 vs #2. Not much to add here aside from perhaps the two most skilled, veteran teams in the NCAA. Both likable programs and lots of players to root for...personally I'm a huge Mark Vital fan. Enjoy this one everyone.

2 PM:
  • SMU @ Dayton: SMU is a dark-horse contender in the AAC (and a team I always respected and didn't feel like a waste on our schedule) and I'm curious how Dayton bounces back post-Toppin with Crutcher taking the lead.
  • Eastern Washington @ Arizona: The top team in the Big Sky against a Wildcats team with a lot of turnover. Washington State narrowly beat the Eagles, so could be a close game. Eastern Washington has one of the better duos in low-major basketball between 6'4 Jacob Davidson and 6'7 Kim Aiken who combined for over 30 ppg last year.
4 PM:
  • Iona @ Hofstra: I'm very curious about Pitino's stamp on Iona and Hofstra is a solid local team.
  • Washington State @ Colorado: Early PAC-12 matchup.
  • ***At 3 PM Sid's team plays Omaha
5 PM:
  • Lipscomb @ Arkansas. Very good mid-major team led by center stud Ahsan Asadullah. Think Richmond's Grant Golden or Loyola-Chi's Cameron Krutwig just with less fanfare. Good test for Musselman's squad
  • New Mexico State @ Santa Clara: The WCC is the best it's ever ban and Santa Clara is a good test for Chris Jans' Aggies
6 PM:
  • South Carolina @ Houston. Frank Martin is one of my favorite coaches and this is his best squad in five years, which is led by junior wing AJ Lawson. We knew Houston would be good, but they might finish the season top-10.
8 PM:
  • UNLV @ Kansas State: TJ Otzelberger is building something special in Reno but he might be one year away from being a potential top-25 team. Bryce Hamilton is their star while Otzelberger's former South Dakota State star, David Jenkins, is a ton of fun to watch. Kansas State is always a tough, defensive team and a chance to watch local Mike McGuirl led the rebuilding Wildcats.
9 PM:
  • BYU @ Utah State: Grab your hard alcohol and cuss your way through this game of in-state rivals. Both are projected to have down years, but usually this is a very good game. Good matchup between star centers Neemias Queta and Matt Haarms.
Love your write ups, but UNLV is in LV not Reno

Reaction Score
4:30p Fairleigh Dickinson at Providence on FS2.
Not exactly the way I thought today's hoops viewing would go.
Thanks. Turning it on now. So do we have to root for PC out of conference?

Reaction Score
North Dakota State up 1 over Kansas with 2 minutes to go. The Bison has been up most of the game.

It's on ESPN+.

1607208973433.png

On update, Kansas ended up winning by 4. Would have been NDSU's biggest win in program history.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Rider at Cuse 7 PM tip-off on NESNa if you're looking for hoops and someone to root against.

Go Broncs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01