Your opinion...Are we a more competitive team with ..... | The Boneyard

Your opinion...Are we a more competitive team with .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyPup

Dislikes Notur-Daim
Reaction Score
Kaleena/Kiah in the line up or Caroline/ Kelly in the line up along with Stef, Bria and Tiff. IMHO, since Geno is frustrated with how the team is playing , why wouldn't he try different combinations to see what clicks. I definitely feel the team is a much stronger rebounding team with Kiah and Kaleena since that was a concern in the last game. I know Kelly is a great rebounder but against taller players she's had difficulties keeping her match up off the boards. Thoughts?

HuskyPup

Dislikes Notur-Daim
Reaction Score
How about Kaleena/Kelly and Caroline/Kiah as pairs rotating in?
Love that idea Rayvin. That way, you get scoring and defensive prowess with Kaleena / Kelly combo and you get leadership/ rebounding and shot blocking with the Caroline / Kiah combo.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
If Kiah is going to play against good competition with the (lack of) intensity that she showed against Notre Dame, then she belongs where she found herself -- on the bench. A big body with potential isn't much use if Peters and Novosel are going to push you out of the way to grab a loose ball or an offensive rebound. On the other hand, if she plays as she did against Duke and St. Johns, then she deserves and will get major minutes.

If Kaleena is going to miss defensive assignments and leave opponents open for decisive 3-pointers, then she will hurt as much as she will help. Nonetheless, she has always gotten adequate minutes (including against ND) and will continue to do so.

Caroline (in her present physical state) and Kelly are less physically talented than Kiah and Kaleena, but they listen to the coach's instructions and execute them, and are rarely out of position. That may result in fewer points but also fewer turnovers (a major asset for Caroline) and fewer missed assignments.

Reaction Score
All good ideas, but I just wish that he done more experimenting and juggling the lineup earlier in the year against the many n0n-competitive teams which they played. But, I suppose "better late than never" could rule here.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Doesn't matter what I think since Geno makes the decision with the staff and sees the kids everyday. Best decision is to trust the staff.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Too many variables for there to be a single answer on this one. Stef and Kiah have both been somewhat up and down from game to game, so from that respect it can come down to who's playing well on that particular evening. Then there is the matchup - GA has basically come to the conclusion that against smaller teams, Kiah has some advantages, whereas with teams that have a bigger true post, Stef is better suited.

But even these are generalities. I don't think there is 'one' answer.

Reaction Score
All good ideas, but I just wish that he done more experimenting and juggling the lineup earlier in the year against the many n0n-competitive teams which they played. But, I suppose "better late than never" could rule here.

As I understand it Geno's experimenting occurs in practice. He only used Kiah for a few minutes against ND "because she was unprepared to play at this level". She was a nonfactor against ND and was benched. In fact, Heather who is not nearly as talented but works harder is now the first sub for Stef. KLM makes mistakes but always plays hard and can score. That is why she plays alot. He would love to play Brianna more, but at this stage of her career< she can't cut it against teams as good as ND.

Caroline is a problem because her injury will not allow her to compete against fast guards like Novosel and Diggins. Our best five for the rest of the season are Bria, Kelly, Tiffany, KLM and Stef. To be successful against the good teams KLM, Tif, Bria and Stef all have to have good scoring games and Kelly has to have a good floor game. Geno will probably use KLM more as a post up power forward and move Kelly back to the wing.

Reaction Score
Kaleena/Kiah in the line up or Caroline/ Kelly in the line up along with Stef, Bria and Tiff. IMHO, since Geno is frustrated with how the team is playing , why wouldn't he try different combinations to see what clicks. I definitely feel the team is a much stronger rebounding team with Kiah and Kaleena since that was a concern in the last game. I know Kelly is a great rebounder but against taller players she's had difficulties keeping her match up off the boards. Thoughts?
According to GA last light, there are two problems. One being that even though the ASS/TURN ratio is great, against the top teams there have been too many turnovers(Baylor, N.D., ST. Johns). Caused by too many players handling the ball, instead of having "one " point guard controlling the ball most of the time. The really good teams can pressure everyone, and that's where one true point guard can control the game. Second, the other night N.D. got way too many offensive rebounds. That is just lack of effort. I agree with GA on both counts. I believe the rebounding will come back , although I think KF has been playing "way" out of position, and is physically tired. Unfortunately , where do you get a point guard from right now? BB is just not ready yet , due to lack of experience. I am interested to see if the coaching staff decides put the ball back in hands of BH. CD pulled the ball back out during a fastbreak turnover the other night, instead of attacking the basket. KF passing has not been great lately. TH is a scorer. Looking at past games I feel BH and team are most effective with ball in her hands. NEVER GIVE UP LADIES!

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
According to GA last light, there are two problems. One being that even though the ASS/TURN ratio is great, against the top teams there have been too many turnovers(Baylor, N.D., ST. Johns). Caused by too many players handling the ball, instead of having "one " point guard controlling the ball most of the time. The really good teams can pressure everyone, and that's where one true point guard can control the game. Second, the other night N.D. got way too many offensive rebounds. That is just lack of effort. I agree with GA on both counts. I believe the rebounding will come back , although I think KF has been playing "way" out of position, and is physically tired. Unfortunately , where do you get a point guard from right now? BB is just not ready yet , due to lack of experience. I am interested to see if the coaching staff decides put the ball back in hands of BH. CD pulled the ball back out during a fastbreak turnover the other night, instead of attacking the basket. KF passing has not been great lately. TH is a scorer. Looking at past games I feel BH and team are most effective with ball in her hands. NEVER GIVE UP LADIES!
This info is based on what? Did the two of you have dinner last night? Supposedly Geno had traveled to Georgia.

Reaction Score
This info is based on what? Did the two of you have dinner last night? Supposedly Geno had traveled to Georgia.
GA was interviewed last night on WTIC sports talk at 6:00P.M. And that was the conversation. Apparrently he called in for his weekly show. Perhaps before you decide to be sarcastic you could research info first!

Reaction Score
Everything works against the easy teams.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I like the idea/potential of the Hartley/Hayes/KML/Stokes/Dolson lineup.

Do any of the gurus have minutes played and offensive efficiency numbers for that particular lineup?

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
KF passing has not been great lately.

Since (including) Louisville - the last 7 games - just the numbers:

Kelly 31 assists / 15 turnovers - 2.07 A/TO
Bria 17 assists / 11 turnovers - 1.55 A/TO
Caroline 15 assists / 9 turnovers - 1.67 A/TO

I think Kelly's passing has been just fine lately.

In the two recent losses:
Kelly 10/7
Bria 1/3
Caroline 0/3

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Kelly 10/7
Bria 1/3
Caroline 0/3
And I believe that most of those 15 TO's came in one game.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
And I believe that most of those 15 TO's came in one game.
5 TO vs. St. Johns for Kelly.

It's more interesting if you take out Pitt where it was - Kelly 7/0, Bria 5/0, Caroline 9/2:

That leaves:
Kelly 24/15, Bria 12/11, Caroline 6/7

Reaction Score

Kelly 10/7
Bria 1/3
Caroline 0/3
Hey, I wasn't criticizing KF! GA's point was that certain players turnovers have been resulting in transition points for the other team. And all of the teams that Huskies have lost to have "one " guard handling the ball the majority of the time. GA said it, not me! GA noted that although the stats showed huskies are great passing team, this was hurting them against top teams.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Kelly's passing is generally solid but she has had a couple of real brain farts occasionally. Hey, it happens and I think that makes it seem worse than it is.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Hey, I wasn't criticizing KF! GA's point was that certain players turnovers have been resulting in transition points for the other team. And all of the teams that Huskies have lost to have "one " guard handling the ball the majority of the time. GA said it, not me! GA noted that although the stats showed huskies are great passing team, this was hurting them against top teams.
But you did say this: "KF passing has not been great lately." A 2.07 A/TO would be in the Top 20 in the country. Overal, her 1.94 has her 28th overall. Still pretty good. I just gave the stats to show that your statement was not accurate.

Reaction Score
Kelly's passing is generally solid but she has had a couple of real brain farts occasionally. Hey, it happens and I think that makes it seem worse than it is.
I agree, but battling opponents 3-5 inches taller all season has probablyly taken a toll a little bit. The team has made a lot of lazy passes lately resulting in tranition points.

Reaction Score
But you did say this: "KF passing has not been great lately." A 2.07 A/TO would be in the Top 20 in the country. Overal, her 1.94 has her 28th overall. Still pretty good. I just gave the stats to show that your statement was not accurate.
I thought I just said GA last night stated this about the team. Why are you harping on KF. The whole point of his conversation was that he needs to be able to trust "one " person with the ball more! The coaching staff has been trying it by committee because he doesn't have that "ONE"person. Why do you refuse to understand that point?

Reaction Score
Are we competitive ? Yes, Will we win a National or even Big East Championship this year ? No.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Why are you harping on KF. The whole point of his conversation was that he needs to be able to trust "one " person with the ball more! The coaching staff has been trying it by committee because he doesn't have that "ONE"person. Why do you refuse to understand that point?
RE Faris: Umm....that's what I do. I did not say I didn't understand your point. My point was regarding one comment you threw out there without accuracy. You said Kelly wasn't passing great lately. Here passing has been better recently (last 7 games) than it has over the course of the year. I was correcting your one statement. Why do you refuse to understand that point?

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
GA was interviewed last night on WTIC sports talk at 6:00P.M. And that was the conversation. Apparrently he called in for his weekly show. Perhaps before you decide to be sarcastic you could research info first!
That's cool. And perhaps before you post another "Geno said" comment you could cite the source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moochi278

Top Bottom