Your Mid-Season Reminder | The Boneyard

Your Mid-Season Reminder

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
We don't have many left to enjoy with this man at the helm. Expectations are high and the season has a different feel than last year. Don't take these last years (games?) for granted.
images

Reaction Score
Makes me sad reading your post. I have been avoiding thinking about the inevitable, which is not that far away. Legacy: best college coach last 20 years (objectively speaking)?

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Makes me sad reading your post. I have been avoiding thinking about the inevitable, which is not that far away. Legacy: best college coach last 20 years (objectively speaking)?
Pains me to say it but I think that goes to Coach K. They are definitely 1-2 though. If Calhoun can snag another title it would certainly help his case. Coach K really just has too many E8 and FF appearances though.

But speaking to the OP, it is sad to think that the end of Jim's career is approaching. Calhoun probably coaches through the end of his contract or until he gets a title, whichever comes first. He had an impact on the UConn program that few other coaches can claim to have on their programs. He is a legend.

Reaction Score
Is it more likely that K could have duplicated Calhoun's success in Storrs or that Calhoun could have duplicated K's success in Durham. Answer that question and you will know who the best coach of this generation is. My view is it's JC but I understand why some differ.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Funny - I was just talking to my wife about this. She grew up in socal and isn't a sports fan generally (likes soccer). I was trying to explain where UConn was 25 years ago. How people thought it was stupid to join the Big East and be a doormat and haha win for other teams. How it was ridiculous to think that we could compete for BE championships, forget NCAA championships. How if I could time travel to 1986 and suggest to people that we would have 3 national championships and be one of the 3 best programs over the next 25 years that they would look at me like I had two heads. Or if I could tell folks in 86 that we would have as many BET championships as GT and two more than Syracuse, and 4 more than St Johns by 2011 that I would have been labled the RutgesAl of UConn fans (ok, I didn't say that cause she obviously wouldn't understand). How our current coach will retire being at least the 4th most wins all time with the possibility of being 3rd easily or 2nd if he lasts longer than JB. She of course couldn't understand and I couldn't explain to someone who hasn't lived through it.

Just think about - our head coach will retire with the 2nd, 3rd or 4th most wins all time with over 600 of them coming at UConn. He will retire with at least 3 national championships , one of only of five all time to accomplish that.

No one could fathom what has happened in Storrs since 1986.

When people think we'll just continue on after he retires have no perspective about how good he really is. However, he may have set the program up so that the next coach can continue at a really high level. If they do, it's still all about JC.

I'd love to see him surpass 900 wins and obviously, I'd love to see him get a 4th, but he has already done way more than expected. He can retire tomorrow if that's what he wants as far as I'm concerned. He's given UConn fans way more than they had any rational reason to expect. Way more.

Reaction Score
It will be a sad day in Connecticut when Calhoun decides to hang it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom