Your guess at the starting offensive line. | The Boneyard

Your guess at the starting offensive line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just think we could use a little football talk.

LT-Bennett LG-Cruz C-Bullock RG-Greene RT-Friend

2LT-Hemingway 2LG-Samra 2C-Bockeloh 2RG-Rugg 2RT-Levy

Part of my thinking is to heavy up the right side of the line as the run first side and put the lighter more mobile guys on the pass first blindside.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Out of the group you listed, Greene to me is the most suspect- regardless of which side he is placed.

It's safe to assume that a healthy Bennett and Friend are the tackles. I liked what I saw from Bullock and Cruz last year. They were serviceable while getting their first significant minutes. Even moderate improvement from them puts them above average.

I don't know if anyone is good enough to overtake Greene but I know last year a lot of blown up plays involved Greene standing around without having touched any defender.

Reaction Score
Looks about right. Given how P has mentioned a big positive in the entire OL returning.....I would guess that the starters will retain their positions.

IMHO.....the only one that I saw any promise in last year was Cruz. Bennett and Friend are both going into their last years, but both really struggled last year. I also agree with Chin on Greene. I openly pined for Samra to take his spot because they already idiotically burned his RS against UMass. The Center position.........between Mateas and Bullock, I'll take Bullock. Who knows what we have with the younger guys.

Reaction Score
I have no idea what our actual blocking schemes are, and what they intend to be, but I know that we appear, as a program, to have made a committement to developing palyers that are ready for NFL football coming out of UCONN.

With that in mind, the starting 5, most likely will be the group of 5 that can best demonstrate understanding of the inside and outside zone blocking schemes in the run game, and can communicate and work as a unit to get it done on the field. Bennett and Friend at the tackles is pretty much a given I think. The interior line, is the group that's up for grabs, and I would love to be a fly on the wall and have an understanding of who, how and why the blocking calls are going to be made up front during games - between the QB, backfield and up and down the line.

I'm hoping that we get a center in there, that can really take control of a game and some guards that can create space.

Because that's all offense is - creating space on the field by blocking. Defense - all defense is about is taking away, and closing down space on the gridiron. Tackling.

Here's a decent article somebody put up on the internet on the Pittsburgh Steelers, and their offensive blocking schemes. The schemes are pretty much the same throughout the NFL, it's a matter of how well the offensive lines can....here it comes....the killer word......execute.....agtainst the defenses they match up against. A defensive player that demands a double block, is a very valueable thing, especially on the defensive line.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...ootball-breakdown-highlights-analysis-diagram

It's also entirely possible that our blocking schemes will be nothing like this.

Reaction Score
Three seniors on that starting line including both OTs. It better be good, because it's unlikely to be better the following season. It's a huge, huge issue and ultimately it will determine whether or not P has a job at the end of this season.

Reaction Score
I believe coach Weist said the Qb's will be making the blocking calls this year.

I remember finding myself often wondering last season, if there was anybody making blocking calls and adjustments at the LOS last season, or if the play call simply went in and it was run the way it was sent in no matter what the defense showed. Who knows. It sure looked at times like nobody was talking to each other, and frankly, I like that interpretation better than the alternative, that they were talking and trying to adjust.

Whatever - they better show the ability to get different defensive fronts blocked this season. I think we've got another run at the last round of the BCS this season, as long as we can consistently block in the run game and get to favorable field position, down and distance situations regularly on offense. Hell, maybe we'll even score some offensive TD's.....if we can block well up front.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Continuity is always good for a group that works in "unit concepts". Whether it's the backline of a soccer defense, a forward line in hockey, etc., building an understanding and a trust with each other in that unit as well as a large amount of repetitions are always the keys to success. That's a big part of my optimism here for this upcoming season.

We are going to have an entire line that is experienced and now has had a lot of reps with each other. It also doesn't hurt that the entire starting five will be over 300 lbs each! A big, experienced line.....I can't wait for the season to start!!!

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
To add to my size comment above:

Bennett 6'9" 306
Bullock 6'4" 313
Cruz 6'2" 303
Friend 6'6" 304
Greene 6'5" 308

Wow...

Reaction Score
I have no idea what our actual blocking schemes are, and what they intend to be, but I know that we appear, as a program, to have made a committement to developing palyers that are ready for NFL football coming out of UCONN.

With that in mind, the starting 5, most likely will be the group of 5 that can best demonstrate understanding of the inside and outside zone blocking schemes in the run game, and can communicate and work as a unit to get it done on the field. Bennett and Friend at the tackles is pretty much a given I think. The interior line, is the group that's up for grabs, and I would love to be a fly on the wall and have an understanding of who, how and why the blocking calls are going to be made up front during games - between the QB, backfield and up and down the line.

I'm hoping that we get a center in there, that can really take control of a game and some guards that can create space.

Because that's all offense is - creating space on the field by blocking. Defense - all defense is about is taking away, and closing down space on the gridiron. Tackling.

Here's a decent article somebody put up on the internet on the Pittsburgh Steelers, and their offensive blocking schemes. The schemes are pretty much the same throughout the NFL, it's a matter of how well the offensive lines can....here it comes....the killer word......execute.....agtainst the defenses they match up against. A defensive player that demands a double block, is a very valueable thing, especially on the defensive line.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...ootball-breakdown-highlights-analysis-diagram

It's also entirely possible that our blocking schemes will be nothing like this.

"the killer word......execute"

Jon McKay, first coach of the Tampa Bay Bucs, was asked what he thought about his team's "execution" after adding another loss to long losing streak.

His answer, after a long delay? "I'm for it."

Reaction Score
After all the abuse these guys took last year in some quarters I am rooting for them all to do well. Lord knows they should have plenty of motivation. You could "wallpaper" a weight room with all the negative press clippings and BY posts about them.

It would really be a hoot if a couple of them actually got drafted. Not out of the realm, either.

Reaction Score
Rennick Bryan would look good with this group. He was close to cracking the two deep before he had to transfer to Dean.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Bennett LT Cruz LG Bullock C Samara RG Friend RT

Reaction Score
To add to my size comment above:

Bennett 6'9" 306
Bullock 6'4" 313
Cruz 6'2" 303
Friend 6'6" 304
Greene 6'5" 308

Wow...

What's your point?

SouthTampaBill is bigger than all of them.

Sadly enough, I am too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
What's your point?

SouthTampaBill is bigger than all of them.

Sadly enough, I am too.

Alright.....how many years of eligibility do you and STB have left???

Reaction Score
I have 4 years left. STD is all out.

I have 30lbs on Bennett but he bench presses 245lbs more than I can.

I can eat wings like a mad man though, which has got to good for something other than my heart.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I have 4 years left. STD is all out.

I have 30lbs on Bennett but he bench presses 245lbs more than I can.

I can eat wings like a mad man though, which has got to good for something other than my heart.

If you lined up and ate wings on the online, I think the smell along would have saved us a couple sacks. Maybe Lyle could have snuck thru the middle a couple times.

Reaction Score
Or they would fart and that would knock him to the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger