Your friend, OkieLite. Not sure if serious. | The Boneyard

Your friend, OkieLite. Not sure if serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Okielite, on LandThieves:

The only real way for the Big 12 to save face while expanding is adding BYU and UConn. Other schools like Cinci and Houston have that commuter stigma and there's not way a directional Florida gets in. Plus none of those schools are the #1 brand in their state like BYU and UConn are. I'd like to see them wait for deregulation and then come up with a plan for a network. As bad as UConn is at football I think their BB and WBB might really increase the value of content that is for the most part worthless to a conference network. But 15 home UConn BB and WBB games probably has some value, especially a KU UConn BB game and Baylor UConn WBB game.

This could probably be done without changing any of the current TV t-1 and t-2 deals or changing anyone's piece of the pie significantly as well. The conference could tell BYU to keep it's own TV deal with ESPN for football but we are taking the remaining content for the network. Then the conference could simply pay UConn a reasonable amount from the CCG money, prorated until they can get some respectable support in football. I'm sure they would agree to just about anything as it's' better than being stuck in the AAC.

So then I read the last sentence. I think he's looking for a date with some quality assets, that wont cost much.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Okielite, on LandThieves:

So then I read the last sentence. I think he's looking for a date with some quality assets, that wont cost much.
yeah...i saw that....what a change of opinion from that guy.....Then he throws in the ''dig'' or cheap shot.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
He really is the worst of the worst. Worse than the Dude by miles.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Still, it always good to get recognition that we're a valuable property in the eyes of the unwashed.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
For okie, this is a HUGE step up. I'm convinced that somebody from UConn p1ssed on his Cheerios or slept with his wife. From the anti-UConn venom he usually spits, maybe somebody from UConn p1ssed on his wife. I don't know. But he definitely has something against UConn for whatever the reason. We tried to tell him all about markets and the need for year-round content for a conference network to succeed but he couldn't get over our spring game attendance being the ultimate measuring stick. Good for him for evolving, even with that last little shot that he couldn't resist taking.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If UConn truly has any value to the Big12 then UConn has value to anyone else as well. Thus we go B1G or ACC. There is no way the B1G lets value in the East slip away. We either have that value or we don't. I just don't think that the Big12 is in any way in serious play for us in it's current form. If it breaks up a bit then that's a different story.

Dooley

Reaction Score
UConn brings value to any conference. People quickly forget that our T3 rights contract with IMG and our Apparel contract with Nike were on par with the majority of current P5 members. To boot, they were both signed towards the end of the Big East collapse. There is no question that we pay for ourselves in any power conference. But here's something of a bonus: we also bring prestigious conference credits come March. We can deliver ratings year round - our football ratings are okay when we're competitive and hoops ratings are obviously very good every year.

Unfortunately for us, the B12 has seemingly subscribed to the Band-Aid method of realignment. Everyone in that conference is Texas' b1tch and if Houston gets an invite that will only prove it more. They are not interested in long-term growth, only "what do we need to do to get Baylor/TCU into the football playoff next year?". Maybe a Houston invite will be good for us because that might loosen up OU/KU to the point that they seriously consider leaving for more long term stability. At any rate, if the B12 were serious about being a long-term power conference, they would invite UConn, BYU, Cincinnati, Boise, UCF, and Memphis/Houston/USF/Temple (take your pick). Markets, brands, football recruiting, and year-round content for a conference network deal. But they're not serious so that won't happen.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
We also bring different value to different conferences. I think we add the most to the ACC actually, followed by B1G, and add the least to the B12... But that's just my opinion.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I think if you factor in year-round TV content (hoops, hockey) for the BTN and the potential of adding more AAU research dollars to the coffers, I think we offer the most value to the B1G. They can certainly survive without UConn as they've done, but we would strengthen some areas that the B1G could use strengthening in: eastern markets and quality year-round content for their conference network without sacrificing academics.

Reaction Score
Texas could be the biggest benefactor, along with WVU. In terms of hoops, the Big 12 is good but should be better. Texas has been very good but has not been able to jump to the elite level or become a regular contender. WVU should be in a better basketball conference. You add UCONN to the mix with the other top basketball teams in the conference and that is a huge boost. Big 12 gets two premiere basketball brands, an average football program which helps get a championship game without stealing the bowl slot, initially, a few trips to the northeast with side ventures to NYC, it's a win-win-win.

Reaction Score
We also bring different value to different conferences. I think we add the most to the ACC actually, followed by B1G, and add the least to the B12... But that's just my opinion.
You mean you don't think we'll join the Pac12 or the SEC?? I'm disappointed... :)

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
You mean you don't think we'll join the Pac12 or the SEC?? I'm disappointed... :)
I literally had a dream a year or two ago where I was golfing with Warde and Herbst, and they told me that it wasn't official just yet, but they would be announcing our imminent invitation to the PAC12. Basically it wasn't optimal, but the extra money would pay for the move.

My brain is weird.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure why you all think he's "the worst" for those suggestions.

There's a reality about expansion - conferences aren't going to do it if it shrinks the slice for each school. There's a reality about the Big 12 - they need to actually have 12 member schools.

He's just trying to reconcile those 2 realities. It's not insulting us at all, unless you're generally insulted by reality.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I'm not sure why you all think he's "the worst" for those suggestions.

There's a reality about expansion - conferences aren't going to do it if it shrinks the slice for each school. There's a reality about the Big 12 - they need to actually have 12 member schools.

He's just trying to reconcile those 2 realities. It's not insulting us at all, unless you're generally insulted by reality.
Serious question - were you around here when he would regularly post and take a dump on our value, telling us how awful and worthless we are? It's not the OP that makes him the worst, it's his history here.

Reaction Score
I literally had a dream a year or two ago where I was golfing with Warde and Herbst, and they told me that it wasn't official just yet, but they would be announcing our imminent invitation to the PAC12. Basically it wasn't optimal, but the extra money would pay for the move.

My brain is weird.
I've dreamt about conference realignment as well except we were headed to the ACC. How pathetic that this stuff seeps into my dreams.

pj

Reaction Score
Serious question - were you around here when he would regularly post and take a dump on our value, telling us how awful and worthless we are? It's not the OP that makes him the worst, it's his history here.

At that time he thought the B12 was strong and UConn weak.

Now the B12's weakness is dawning on even their dumbest fans. They know they need markets and UConn has the most value. They're still in denial about the final twist -- the B12 is so weak, and UConn so valuable, that UConn is beyond their reach.

Reaction Score

History, everywhere...

Since I have become so proficient at copy/paste, Oki again from Landthieves, July 14 (feel the LOVE):

UConn has been measured and weighed by conferences and TV partners.
Academics are what is likely going to prevent you from ever Joining the B1G. A great football program (OU/Nebraska) can overcome this. But a great BB/WBB can't.

Finances- You get nearly 1/3 of your AD budget as a subsidy becasue you lack things like ticket sales to help support the AD. Once Connecticut pisses off ESPN and others by cutting tax breaks they will be gone and at some point the state won't keep pumping 30 million a year to support the AD in the AAC.

The TV market argument is worthless as it pertains to football. The UConn/Memphis game last year had a 0.0 TV rating. UConn football does not bring any TV market. There are millions of people in and around Connecticut but unfortunately few are college football fans.

Fan base-Fans are the real reason UConn is where it is. Fans simply don't care about football. This is why you played FCS ball until the 90's. This is also why you currently play games in a half full stadium owned by the state an hour from campus. Even games in the teens and 20's regularly. That's not p-5 support.

Your past success in football consist of a 4 loss co-championship from the Big East where you are arguably the worst team to ever play in a BCS game. Hardly impressive.

Last edited:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I think if we added value to a conference, we'd be in a P5 right now. At this moment we don't add enough value for any P5, hence why we're here. Hopefully in the future that's different

Reaction Score
I think if we added value to a conference, we'd be in a P5 right now. At this moment we don't add enough value for any P5, hence why we're here. Hopefully in the future that's different

This is the most tired-ass logic being repeated over and over here. You could say that about any school before they get plucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom