YOUNG versus PAYNE, let's talk differences | The Boneyard

YOUNG versus PAYNE, let's talk differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
PAYNE was a BIG MAN, not as cut as YOUNG but still big. He couldn't establish a presence in the paint versus AB/PN, which was surprising how many times I thought he got away with a foul. He can def shoot from the outside, just like their 4, another big man who has a nice shot from outside.

Compare this to Young, who looks chiseled from a block of granite. What's his game outside of size and hustle? Is he as refined as MH from the Ville? Will we struggle in this guard penetrate backside clean up like we did versus the Cards? From the two times I have seen Young play, he doesn't have much of a touch from the outside, am I right?

Can our big boys treat him like they did Payne, shutting him down from the paint, keeping him off the boards, and if we do, should that be enough to win the game? To me, he is their biggest player, their catalyst, shut him out, and with our guard play, who else on their end can beat us? Not being arrogant, but wondering.

Your thoughts?

Reaction Score
young is less talented than basically every star big we've come across. Euro Royce white is much better, pinkston is better(smaller), msu's frontcourt was better. I'm hoping the length of prather and frazier dont bother us, frazier is basically garry harris all over again. I'm pretty confident about this game mainly because wilbeken (trice level) isnt a great athlete, how is he going to deal with boatright in his grill? I like our matchup with wisconsin too, terrified by kentucky though.

Reaction Score
Completely different players. Payne is a much better scorer and more of a finesse player than Young. A few times Nolan got caught in transition D not picking up Payne at the arc and got burned. The next 3 that Young takes will be his first.

That said, Young will be a handful on the blocks.

Reaction Score
Young is an absolute monster in the paint and on the defensive end (2014 SEC DPOY), but has little offensive game besides putbacks. There's a reason he's only had 2 double-doubles this year; they virtually never run plays for him in the post. Wouldn't surprise me if the 17 he had against us was his season high. Payne, obviously is a different animal. He's so far ahead of Young on the offensive end, and he's got at least an inch or 2 on him. He's (supposedly) a great low post player, but obviously we did amazing against him. Overall, even though they're both centers, they are vastly different players. NBA versions (not saying they will become this - they won't) would be Dirk for Payne and Tyson Chandler for Young. Maybe DeJuan Blair a bit, in terms of strength and rebounding, too. Just my humble analysis.

Reaction Score
Young will play inside the paint, unlike payne who spent all day outside the 3. PN/AB will have to stand straight up with their arms in the air (like they just don't care ?), to avoid cheapy fouls.

Boat will have to play the same D on Wilbekin as he did last night. He has been great on D for 3 games or so now. He needs to bring that again.

I imagine we will double Young down low early like we did payne. Just my guess

Reaction Score
Boat was a key last game and he will be again. Need him to be flypaper on Wilbekin.

Reaction Score
Young killed us. He did what he wanted. He scored 17 and got 7 boards. We couldn't handle him on the block.

Reaction Score
Someone said that Michigan State played weird. Well ... YES. I think that with Dawson & Payne ... given what I have seen this year of our interior defense (RE: Harrell. And the kids from St. Joseph's), I would have tried frequently to exploit that. Was our D from Nolan et al just that improved? I think they played great; but, MS simply stop trying to go inside. They had nobody who could take our guys off the dribble either. I wonder about Izzo; he had an esteemed place in my mind on coaching. I don't know why your 6'11 guy shoots 10 threes. Dawson had 25+ against Virginia & you run nothing for him two days later?

Young can & will play with confidence on the inside. If he gets minutes, he can (obviously) exploit us. But, as noted Donovan has been going to the two Walkers more & more.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Prather had 19 and 7 and was also problem.

Reaction Score
Young is more similar to Harrell (sp) of Louisville, which is a scary thought in itself. Ollie will talk with Calhoun about this issue I would bet. At least we have 15 fouls (6 1st half and 9 2nd half) to give.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Young is a BAD matchup for us just like Harrell. He was a beast down the stretch in the game in December, and we are lucky they didnt start riding him earlier. I have faith in KO and these players, but Florida is the only other team in the country that has the pieces to put a Louisville style beat down on us. If Donovan watches Pitino's pick and roll strategy (which he of course will) it could be trouble. Florida has the guards and the big just like Ville, to exploit that, and while I have seen improvement in all game facets since the start of the AAC tournament, I have not seen an improvement in Brimah's reactions to the pick and roll. We will not be able to play small like we did in the Nova and ISU games.

DOOOMED

Reaction Score
Someone said that Michigan State played weird. Well ... YES. I think that with Dawson & Payne ... given what I have seen this year of our interior defense (RE: Harrell. And the kids from St. Joseph's), I would have tried frequently to exploit that. Was our D from Nolan et al just that improved? I think they played great; but, MS simply stop trying to go inside. They had nobody who could take our guys off the dribble either. I wonder about Izzo; he had an esteemed place in my mind on coaching. I don't know why your 6'11 guy shoots 10 threes. Dawson had 25+ against Virginia & you run nothing for him two days later?

Young can & will play with confidence on the inside. If he gets minutes, he can (obviously) exploit us. But, as noted Donovan has been going to the two Walkers more & more.
I think your missing the point that dawson wasnt even getting boxed out by virginia. virginia also plays a short frontcourt (6'7ish at both slots). We prepared for dawson and payne like they were olajuwon and horry. Our bigs did work early, and the pressure from the guards made it difficult to make entry passes. its that simple. Daniels 7 foot wingspan is a gift.

Reaction Score
One plays for Mich St, the other for Florida

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He was unstoppable in the last few minutes. Against us . He was playing mostly against NG, and DD , we didn't have a 5 in the game.
If our bigs have improved enough to neutralize him ,I like our chances.

Reaction Score
young is less talented than basically every star big we've come across. Euro Royce white is much better, pinkston is better(smaller), msu's frontcourt was better. I'm hoping the length of prather and frazier dont bother us, frazier is basically garry harris all over again. I'm pretty confident about this game mainly because wilbeken (trice level) isnt a great athlete, how is he going to deal with boatright in his grill? I like our matchup with wisconsin too, terrified by kentucky though.

Pretty much every Florida game I've seen, Frazier dagger threes have been their vehicle to get separation and a working margin. Absolutely crucial to find him on the perimeter and stay with him.

Reaction Score
Young is more similar to Harrell (sp) of Louisville, which is a scary thought in itself. Ollie will talk with Calhoun about this issue I would bet. At least we have 15 fouls (6 1st half and 9 2nd half) to give.

Except he's not nearly as good as Harrell is.

Reaction Score
Lets use some of those world famous TO pumpfakes to get big boi in foul trouble!

caw

Reaction Score
I think there is very little you can pull from the first game between these two teams. Both are different teams right now.

UF has their backup PG back from injury in freshman Hill. They also have Chris Walket who sometimes plays. Prather has been on a horrible slump recently.

UConn rarely plays Olander and Calhoun now an those minutes have gone to Giffey and Brimah and Samuel.

Sure the main stars are the same but those guys are significant pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom