You want trivia??? The last points scored of every NC season!!! | The Boneyard

You want trivia??? The last points scored of every NC season!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
You know how UConn has won nine NCs? That's a lot, right? Come to think of it, I've got this strange inkling it's never been done in WCBB. Will it ever be done again?

Well, I'd like to focus on something else that's never been done again, and it's really simple. To wit, I'm referring to something extremely basic, yet essential to winning a basketball game: scoring points. Who scored the last points of each UConn championship season? There are nine, you know.

Why do I care? It boils down to that pretty scoop layup high off the glass Brianna Banks hit this month against Notre Dame. That shot accounted for UConn's 78th and 79th point. Given that, Banks got the last points of the season. Meanwhile, 2013 featured that sweet steal and breakaway layup by Heather Buck, to which her teammates on the bench were ecstatic and Heather ran back joyfully to the other side of the court. There's your trivia answer for 2013: Heather scored the last points of that championship season. Those points by Banks and Buck were so great I wondered who'd scored the last points of the other seven. Because, you know, UConn has won nine championships...

So thanks to ESPN.com and YouTube, I was able to answer all of these trivia questions. Without further ado, here we go!

2010- Maya Moore got our 53rd point against Stanford on the strength of FTs.
2009- Maya hit a pretty jumper from behind the FT line for UConn's 75th and 76th points against Louisville.
2004- A surge of FT shooting late sealed the deal for UConn to the tune of a 70-61 final score on Tennessee. That 70th point was scored from the stripe by the amazing Maria Conlon, who capped off playing almost all of two championship games from the PG position with only one turnover committed.
2003- Like 2004, the 2003 final concluded with FTs and Diana popping the UConn jersey after the 73-68 final tally over Tennessee. The young woman to score UConn's 72nd and 73rd points on FTs was the lovely Annie Strother, who had a fantastic NC game as a freshman.
2002- After Diana's soul-crushing and-one that fouled out Stacy Dales, Oklahoma was forced to foul to extend the game. UConn duly hit the FTs, with Sue Bird doing the honors to get the Huskies' 82nd point from the stripe.
2000- With well over 2:00 left, Paige Sauer cut for a layup off a nifty assist from Shea Ralph. Paige's layup against the Lady Vols got UConn its 70th and 71st points. It would end up being the last points UConn scored in that game.
1995- 70-64 UConn over Tennessee. Who scored Point #70 on FTs? Carla Beruuuuuuuuuuuube, that's who!

There you have it. Lots of FTs, some layups, a jumper. All-timers like Sue and Maya, and bench players like Paige and Heather. Some great moments. It all adds up to nine...because in case you forgot, UConn has won that many national championships.

Reaction Score
That pretty scoop layup by Brianna reminded me what a talented player she is.
If she can get back to the pre-ACL Brianna and add some confidence and consistency
she will give these new hotshot recruits a run for playing time.

Reaction Score
You asked and answered your own question. The only two I might have remembered were Berube in 1995 and Bird in 2002.

My favorite ending was in 2003 when Ashley Battle stole the inbounds pass and UConn played keep away for the last 15 seconds. Coach Cardoza after calmly pointing where Battle should go with the ball, went absolutely ballistic on the sidelines.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
My favorite ending was in 2003 when Ashley Battle stole the inbounds pass and UConn played keep away for the last 15 seconds. Coach Cardoza after calmly pointing where Battle should go with the ball, went absolutely ballistic on the sidelines.

You want a link? Well here you go. This has Annie's last two points, plus the sequence you referred to in your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom