You never want to be the guy who follows the guy. | The Boneyard

You never want to be the guy who follows the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You want to be the guy after the guy who follows the guy.

At least, that has been the conventional wisdom on following Hall of Fame head coaches. You don't want to follow Wooden or Smith or Calhoun. You wanna follow the dude who tried to live up to their legacies.

HOWEVER...... it looks like KO is turning that on its head. The exception that proves the rule.

Of course, the only thing that matters in college basketball is the dance. You're only as good as your run in the NCAA Tourney. KO has yet to walk out on the court in round one. I think he'll do well. That he will break all the precedents.

It sure creates a lot of excitement.

Reaction Score

At least, that has been the conventional wisdom on following Hall of Fame head coaches. You don't want to follow Wooden or Smith or Calhoun. You wanna follow the dude who tried to live up to their legacies.

HOWEVER...... it looks like KO is turning that on its head. The exception that proves the rule.

Of course, the only thing that matters in college basketball is the dance. You're only as good as your run in the NCAA Tourney. KO has yet to walk out on the court in round one. I think he'll do well. That he will break all the precedents.

It sure creates a lot of excitement.

I hear what you're saying, but Louisville did an OK job replacing Denny Crum.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Where are the people on this board who doubted Ollie?

Freescooter?

Gotta give partial credit to JC for persuading the university. IN JC I TRUST so therefore IN OLLIE I TRUST

Reaction Score
Well, its still very early in his coaching career.......................................and that's the great part! We get years and years of enjoying him.

U

UCONNfan1

Well, its still very early in his coaching career.......................................and that's the great part! We get years and years of enjoying him.
Totally agree. The guy is young, and potentially could be at UCONN for 20+ years if all goes well. So glad it worked out the way it did.

Reaction Score
Remember Mike Davis? Followed Knight at IU. The streets are littered with these guys. Doesn't bother KO a wit.

Reaction Score
I hear what you're saying, but Louisville did an OK job replacing Denny Crum.
To be fair, Denny Crum had fallen on hard times--it was almost as if he replaced himself with a less effective version of himself. So in that sense, Pitino (already a very good and successful coach) was in good shape. The four years before Pitino, Crum didn't get to 20 wins, and twice finished under-.500. It meant there really wasn't a ton of pressure on Louisville in those first few years, and a 19-13, NIT season was seen as an improvement.

Reaction Score
Not to be a debbie downer, and I love KO. but 1 year and 6 games aren't enough time to tell if he'll be successfull long term. I happen to think he will be, but we don't have crystal balls.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Not to be a debbie downer, and I love KO. but 1 year and 6 games aren't enough time to tell if he'll be successfull long term. I happen to think he will be, but we don't have crystal balls.

Yeah. All this over-the-top love makes me think that there will be a ton of blowback once we lose a few games that we think we should win.

Reaction Score
Why do you inject rational thinking in the middle of a beer pong party?

Reaction Score
Izzo is one exception. Perhaps Bill Self, but you'd have to question whether Roy was at KU long enough to reach legendary status there.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Yeah. All this over-the-top love makes me think that there will be a ton of blowback once we lose a few games that we think we should win.
Previous guy got some of that not long after the 2nd NC. He got plenty before the first one. A lot of us fans are head cases. So yep, there will be blowback by some fans. It's a guarantee. But why worry about it. I've enjoyed the transitional ride up to this point. With a little luck this team will propel UConn and KO into a long and wonderful future.

Reaction Score
well if 247sports can do it I can too. I predict Ollie will be successful and win at least 1 NC before he's done...and if he doesn't I'll just change my prediction

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
well if 247sports can do it I can too. I predict Ollie will be successful and win at least 1 NC before he's done...and if he doesn't I'll just change my prediction
Hate to feel too entitled, but if it's only one title, it's a serious letdown. I'm thinking 4 in 25 years as the standard of replacing a hall of famer with a hall of famer.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Notice how every "Debbie Downer" statement in this forum is preceded by "Not to be a Debbie Downer"?
There are coaching attributes that Ollie easily surpasses Calhoun already: role model, communicator, disciplining players, not humiliating players on national TV, etc.
I hope all the Ws come, and so far so good. But I'm also happy our b'ball players are students too, that players that that are violent with their female interests are denied scholarships and the likes of Nate Miles has not been recruited.
I understand and appreciate all JC did for our program. I graduated during the Yankee Conference days (76) and watched us be the doormat of the BE. I know what JC accomplished. But I saw his faults and I saw them get worse.
KO is not a guilty pleasure.

Reaction Score
Notice how every "Debbie Downer" statement in this forum is preceded by "Not to be a Debbie Downer"?
There are coaching attributes that Ollie easily surpasses Calhoun already: role model, communicator, disciplining players, not humiliating players on national TV, etc.
I hope all the Ws come, and so far so good. But I'm also happy our b'ball players are students too, that players that that are violent with their female interests are denied scholarships and the likes of Nate Miles has not been recruited.
I understand and appreciate all JC did for our program. I graduated during the Yankee Conference days (76) and watched us be the doormat of the BE. I know what JC accomplished. But I saw his faults and I saw them get worse.
KO is not a guilty pleasure.
No coment

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Unless you are a leader and not a follower. It's always the right time then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom